msolga

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:02 pm
@maporsche,
Ah, I see. Another animal lover! Smile

I'd adopt more (cats, in my case) if I was richer. But a string of rescued/dumped cats who later developed quite serious (quite expensive, over time) ailments is my reason to not acquiring a menagerie. I'd love to have more, though!
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Well.......ok.

You don't have to twist my arm too hard to get me to show pics of my pups.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2733/img8445t.jpg
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5962/dscn0948q.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/961/img8551a.jpg
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7408/img8550a.jpg
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7304/img8444z.jpg
maporsche

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:13 pm
@maporsche,
How'd that 2nd one get in there....?

Rolling Eyes
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks, ehBeth.

I'll mull all this over.

I have almost enjoyed my mourning time over Pacco, as he was the major dog in my life, and as the sorrow part of my grief has naturally effervesced - it's been a couple of years - I still get kick out of even mentioning him. He had a strong personality and was the only dog I've felt, ah, bonded to, as in glue eyes. This was undoubtedly my misperception, as I figure I was his 24/7 job as a herder.
Still, I'll go with the bonding idea.
msolga

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:15 pm
@maporsche,
Dogs running free! Wonderful! Very Happy

They're a couple of beauties, maporsche. And so fit. (For obvious reasons!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:17 pm
@maporsche,
Oh, but that was great.

Neat real life photos..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:24 pm
@maporsche,
Adds, I love photos with motion going on.. the first one is fabulous , quite beautiful, the second, a grin.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:25 pm
Hey, osso. Got yer pm.

Not sure what input I really have. Certainly a lot of the folks I do surgery for are in dire straits, and we give them a cheap, cheap deal on the spay/neuter ($35/cat, $65/dog), but I don't know how many communities have that sort of operation going on. Since we service neighboring counties at a considerably higher rate, I'm thinking it's not so widespread.

But as far as the long-term stuff -- well, some animals are good keepers and won't cost much more than food, the odd health exam, and the usual household destruction, while others can run up a fortune. We've had some of both in our home, but we've always had the money or the credit to cover the dear ones.

Seems to me, though, that if you are concerned about the financial angle and want to be very responsible about it, you could try and set yourself a couple of grand (or maybe 4 or 5) in credit card room in case of dire emergency.

If that's not workable -- there is a credit program (called "Care Credit" in most places) where emergency/referral clinics offer financing through an outside company for unexpected expenses. They'll usually offer some amount of credit even to those with poor credit history, and there's no interest if you pay off within a certain time frame (can't remember if it's 3, 6, or 12 months, or if it varies from place to place). The terms beyond that grace period are utterly usurious, though -- and I'm not sure how recent economic circumstances have affected the program(s).

As far as your expectations for what routine care will cost -- well, there's a huge variance. I know some clinics in my town that will spay a cat for under $150, another that routinely runs the bill up over $1,000. So shop around -- less expensive vets aren't always worse (nor are more expensive vets necessarily or even reliably better). That said, the cost of veterinary education is many times what it used to be, and has been rising at over 10%/year, so don't expect the cost of care to come down as more of us new grads come out with mortgage-size student loans to pay off...

Also (sorry, blabbering), re: shelters -- some of them adopt out altered animals, some will cover the entire cost post-adoption, some can give you a certificate for a reduced-rate surgery.... Some will offer a free first exam at any clinic, some will offer exams at certain clinics, some won't offer any exam at all. If initial cost is a concern, shop around on that front, as well. At our place, no dog or cat leaves without being altered, vaccinated, and treated for endo- and ectoparasites. We don't do anything in terms of first exam post-adoption, but we do participate in a sort of insurance program called "shelter care," which covers non-pre-existing medical problems that arise within the first 30 days after adoption. That may or may not be available from your local joint, as well.

Not sure what to say, though, really. Just please don't put a flea collar on your dog, and adopt a puppy and return it six months later because it's acting like a young dog.

Good luck to you and your new furry friend. Wink
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:27 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm a fairly firm believer in "if you're ready, when you're ready, there will be a dog for you".

Neither of the dogs currently living with me came here because of my personal good planning. They came here because the time was right - and the right people were paying attention.
msolga

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:28 pm
@ehBeth,
I totally agree with you, ehBeth.
That's been my (cat) experience, too.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:32 pm
re care credit: I used that. It was a nice tool, but one has to be careful as with any credit. You have 6 months to pay off each charge, but money goes to most recent charges instead of the oldest ones. And when the 6 months is up, the rate of interest is very high. So, if you are like I was, with 300 bucks every 3-4 months tagged onto the card and on a low budget, things can snowball.

By the way Pdawg, good to see you. What do you think about pet insurance?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:33 pm
I'm sorry, ladies, but that's what THEY say about men, too. Doesn't always work that way.
roger

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:37 pm
@patiodog,
For her to return a dog, it would have to have serious temperment problems. Believe me.
msolga

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:38 pm
@littlek,
Wink
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:38 pm
I know the feeling, Osso. Our local newspaper prints pictures of available dogs and I always see one I want. You do have to consider the reality of your finances- the average cost of having a medium sized dog over it's lifetime is $16,000. That is just food and basic vet costs. If something goes wrong, and you can afford to fix it, the cost can be much hirer. You also have to consider your age and the longevity of the animal.

I like the idea of fostering an animal or maybe finding someone who is looking for inexpensive "doggie daycare". You might be able to locate someone in your area who works long hours and has a dog stuck at home alone. Remember Bella's dilemma with her boxers? Maybe put an ad on Craig's list, or a sign up at the library, indicating you might like to share someone's doggie during the day, but not be the actual owner. I hope whatever you decide works out.

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:51 pm
Olga, you know.

Greenwitch, my landlady fosters dogs through a rescue for the breed she likes (Westies). It's quite successful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:52 pm
@patiodog,
Thanks for the reply.

I live on low social security and already owe up the wazoo re credit. (A couple of grand in credit card room?, sorry.)

I do figure I will have to do bankruptcy, if I can, some time soon.
I might try to sell my paintings first (they used to sell high-ish to me, but in reality, medium low), mostly because I don't want some suits taking them away.
None of the financial angles you mention relate to me.

I do appreciate veterinarians and could name a few, starting with a lab tech I used to work with who went into veterinary immunology - well, there are several. I may be back with a list, for the fun of it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:55 pm
@roger,
Thank you, roger..
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 08:02 pm
@littlek,
It's heck of a lot easier to find a great dog than a great man.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 08:04 pm
@Green Witch,
I'm listening. Your and ehBeth's posts on fostering are a crack in the wall.
I'm not sure I could stand it.