Aftermath, going home (for a week or two)

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 10:44 am
Looking forward to meeting CJane..

meantime, yesterday was great. Turns out cousin's kids were all happy to see aunt osso, and I got to spend time with each of their families. First, a vietnamese style lunch with one son and his wife, their two year old daughter, the wife's parents, my cousin and I, and the couple's real estate guy, who was there in case my cousin was interested in talking with him (long story re their selling their former house).
Then we went over to the old house (home of so many thanksgiving and christmas celebrations) where cousin and husband were meeting another real estate agent - nice for me for the memories.
Then to my cousin's husband's business to drop off his car and for me to see the manufacturing facilities - much much bigger than when I last saw them, amazing, really.

Then to another son's house, which I'd seen before, and got to see how they had fixed it up in the last few years. I went crazy about their daughter, four, who had been primed to look forward to meeting aunty osso. Gads, I lost my heart.. and then out for cal mex food and a lot of talk.

Back to Solana beach with the three of us exhausted.
Today, I meet my other cousin. We'll see on that one...
ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 11:02 am
@ossobuco,
Sure sounds like a great day.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:20 pm
Smiling for and with you, osso. Enjoy.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 09:21 pm
@Roberta,
Today was interesting. Cousin-to-meet-and-we-once-were-close (but has been distancing from us for some years) responded, I think, because I was in the mix, and not because of her sister.

More later, dinner happening.
Swimpy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 07:33 am
@ossobuco,
Good to read that you are enjoying your family meet ups. I hope the good times continue.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 09:22 am
Glad to hear you're having a good trip.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:46 am
My cousin P and I met cousin N and her husband. It went as well as could be expected, as they say. We even had a lot of laughs... but no close 'what is going on in your life' kind of talk, which used to be common between us all. We went to N's office (much talk about that) and then to a nearby deli (much more talk about the office..); I enjoyed my pastrami on rye with accompanying coleslaw, she says drily.

Afterwards, P and I went to the Irvine Museum, one of my favorites. It's in a large and shiny office building with free admission and parking. I've been to the museum several times before when it was located in a different large and shiny office building. This is the showplace for the Irvine Collection of california expressionist and california plein air painting. Each time I've gone there I've liked a lot of whatever exhibit they have up at the time; they change the exhibits every four months. The floor is carpeted, the lighting is excellent, paintings terrific. The bookstore (this is online too) is a room filled with temptation for me (I stopped myself, yes, I did). Found a watercolorist I've not heard of before that I like, Percy Grey.
This was all good, I felt like I got myself back, after that lunch get together.
Izzie

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 11:04 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

This was all good, I felt like I got myself back, after that lunch get together.

good... verra good. Very Happy

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:36 pm
CalamityJane and I met and had lunch and did a little tour of Cedros Street in Solana Beach; I just got back. We had a great time, fun talk, and a terrific hamburger with brie, each ordering the same thing. No pictures - it never even occurred to me, though I had a camera in my purse.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:50 pm
I'm glad you and CJ got together! And I understand completely about the pics, though it would have been fun to see you two.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 05:08 pm
It was a pleasure meeting you, osso, and we hit it off right away, didn't we? While having lunch, we were talking and laughing and having a good time.
I also forgot to take pictures, but I took one just now waving at osso ....

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7153/picture1x.png
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 08:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
I had to look up where we ate as I didn't get the name when we entered and now rambled through google and cedros street cafes.. to find it was the Wild Note.
Well, hey, that's us.
Yeh, we hit it off right away, no problems, comfortable to start with.
That street reminds me a lot of where I had my first gallery (west washington blvd. in Venice, now known as Abbot Kinney Boulevard). It was up and down for years with this or that homicide (maybe that never happened on Cedros, but they were similar with old houses and warehouses) and this or that chic chic ristorante, which soon enough failed with another one popping up hopefully, and then the street turned the corner re commercial success. The Eames' place was at the end of those few blocks. Anyway, I got a kick out of seeing this district in Solana Beach.

Chances are there will be photos when the Smart Ass Group get together a week from tomorrow, or others will be taken during the week. Meantime, I'll wave back.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 09:57 am
@ossobuco,
Yes, osso, the "Wild Note Cafe" it was . It's been there for years and years -
musicians from the Belly Up come there quite often, thus the name and decor. Here is their website http://www.bellyupcantina.com/index.html
and here is the lovely nursery we went to (great pictures) http://www.flickr.com/photos/cedrosgardens/show/

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8485/picture1mo.png
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 11:48 pm
I'm back and tired. Lots to talk about later.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 12:15 am
@ossobuco,
Welcome back. Hope you have lots of good gossip and such.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 12:41 am
@tsarstepan,
Gossip, well, I'll veer more to 'and such'.. I hope. No fair targeting - or fully targeting - folks who couldn't respond here, not that there are many. I'm more bewitched by the infinite variety of complications in relationships and how some can work.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 12:45 am
Welcome back, osso. I've missed you!

I hope you had a wonderful time.

(So what's for dinner tonight? Wink )
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 12:58 am
@msolga,
I thawed some old pasta thing, yucko. So this remains a low food day, whole grain toast with, er, pineapple rum jam, some water, and then, scrambled eggs, belgian waffle, one slice bacon, all cooked perfectly at Cafe Buna, and, finally, coffee.. good I liked all that as that was it for the day. A half a coke on the plane.
Tomorrow, the grocery store.
msolga

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:07 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Tomorrow, the grocery store.

Excellent move, 99! Very Happy

So, you're feeling refreshed after having gotten away from home base for a while? One of the best things, I think, about some time away is that clears away some of the mental cobwebs. Not that you have any cobwebs of any variety, I'm certain! Wink
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 12:14 pm
@msolga,
Right you are, I'm all energized.
Looks at self sternly, keep it up, kiddo.
0 Replies