Aftermath, going home (for a week or two)

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 12:17 pm
Since I'm not any further on specifics of the big trip, I'll bring up my unfortunate choice of reading matter yesterday. I picked up a bunch of best seller type books at the local goodwill, and am swiftly running them in one ear and out the other. Or one eye and out the other. The one at the top of the stack yesterday was Michael Crichton's Airframe. I was all askeered within three pages. Nice, a few weeks before flying back.

I'm a pretty happy flier, even when things get complicated and annoying. Usually.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 07:10 pm
@Swimpy,
Responding to this rather late, Swimpy, I liked increasingly out there (to me, then) rock and what happened? The Eagles. I really stopped listening right around then.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 07:41 pm
So, my cousins are here and I'm exhausted, in a good way. We haven't argued politics or religion even for a minisecond. There is this 'we are who we are' thing. (tap tap tap)

So far we've gone to the petroglyphs by my house, and more. They walked some, though one could take a long time walking all the petroglyph area, and I petered out early, with my adjustment in space problem. But I saw some of the the glyphs earlier with Roger, a while ago.

Then to Elena Gallegos park, nestled in the lower Sandias. Gorgeous, cold, so we had a cold picnic.. We were happy as we shivered. It was better, to me, than the tram ride, if you argue beauty.

Then to the wrong address for the Atomic Museum. And then, aggravation, to the right address, and a bunch of hours in there. We wandered differently, me being interested in Bikini for reasons some will know, and they for their own science reasons. At some point an older gentleman - i.e., my age, came over and asked me some pleasant question, and we talked for at least an hour. He had something to do with museum op, I never looked at his tag, but we covered the enola gay (my father took it on his way from Bikini to the Pentagon), bombs, nuclear power, energy, turbines, small (water falls) - I forget the word, but not dams and easily built and not interfering with water flow, someone interesting named Baker who I mean to look up, native plants. And then my cousins came over, there was a movie - which cousin W led me into (pitch black).
I need to see that again. I've met Teller, weirdly, at a Newman Club meeting on the UCLA campus. I think there were seven of us there, including Teller, whom my father new, as acquaintance, but I was quiet, not absorbing whatever he was saying. I was probably eighteen.

Today, my girl cousin tells me his kids went to our high school, a few years past her.

Well, that was yesterday.
Today, we went to Taos, which I've not been to. We took the long long long windy way, called the high road, which is plain worth every curve, stared at the famous church (I like the one in Corrales better, I think, but then I'm not attached to either of them) had a picnic at Carson Park, and drove down the easy way.. but that turned out to be a place I need to go back to, the Rio Grande River Valley. Littlek has show pics, I think. That was an elongated surprise.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Bunch of grammar and spelling mistakes in there. Yawn.

Tomorrow, the turquoise trail. I've been there with Walter and Diane. Still, neo digital camera practice for me.

We had a few incidents, generally working out.
The hairiest was when one of us, not me, oh nooo, needed badly to do #2. There was no place, no place, no place. I won't describe that more except that I offered the said person some tissues - and said person got into - after relief - a long conversation with the house owner...

I won't describe that, as it could indicate which person had the original problem.
But fantastic.. in its way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:11 pm
@ossobuco,
On yesterday, I figure the guy I talked to and like had been alerted, as I had asked about donation at the front desk, and they clued me into the process.
He might be a chamelion, but I didn't take him that way - except that as a gallery owner and museum coordinator (under the agis of) at one point, I get chamelion. Still and all, it was engaging. That guy just wanted to talk about history, which I get.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 01:46 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Today, we went to Taos, which I've not been to. We took the long long long windy way, called the high road, which is plain worth every curve, stared at the famous church (I like the one in Corrales better, I think, but then I'm not attached to either of them) had a picnic at Carson Park, and drove down the easy way.. but that turned out to be a place I need to go back to, the Rio Grande River Valley. Littlek has show pics, I think. That was an elongated surprise.

I really like that road and valley.

The church is at least picturesque, you must admit Wink

You didn't go to the Martinez Hacienda or visit the Pueblo de Taos?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 10:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Nope - next time.

Well, weather is rearing its head here, so we're not going to Madrid today - instead we're heading south, leaving for California.

I'll be sans computer for at least fours days (starts to suck her thumb), then will have access to one for another four days, and then another computer drought.
This will build my character. Meantime, I have to make fantasy football decisions in a big hurry..

Hasta la vista.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 10:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I've been to Taos several times in the past 40 years, I like the area.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 11:26 am
@ossobuco,
Have a nice time, osso! And a safe journey!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 11:29 am
@dyslexia,
From what someone told me it must have been a lot nicer a couple of years ago ... but I do like that area and the town a lot (They even serve "Californian" food there Wink )
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:46 pm
@ossobuco,
And we'll be sans osso (starts to suck thumb). Have a great time, young 'un.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 07:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Once in a Blue Moon, it’s nice to have a cake... Wink you know, just because...

http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/pub/ms_living/2006Q1/0206_msl_tiramisu_l.jpg

http://www.davidglass.com/images/3_C_Ultimate_Italian_Cannoli_Cake_400.jpg

http://www.mmenterprises.co.uk/images/birthday-cake-2007.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lctXUx9NVYw/SMAV78OVZ9I/AAAAAAAAHqc/XLfrhANNzFI/s1600/ricdessert11.jpg

with an Autumn Sunset
http://k53.pbase.com/v3/57/360657/2/44777980.autumnsunset1web.jpg

Buon compleanno
Buon compleanno
Buon compleanno Osso caro
Buon compleanno

Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 01:42 pm
Oh, look, cakes! I'm older now and in the San Diego area. Taking a lolling about day. Might even watch the SD Oakland game on wide screen tv, a totally new thing for me. Watched Jeopardy for the first time...

Gorgeous here. More later.
roger

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 02:41 pm
@ossobuco,
So, when are you going home.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 06:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Gorgeous here. More later.

Yes, please.

You sound very pleased with yourself, osso. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 07:44 pm
@roger,
The fifteenth.
I've many homes. I'm the type who makes staying a week in a place a new "home", at least for that bit of time. Not always, of course, but I sometimes do.
Waiting to hear from some other family re making some SD area connections.
Meantime I'm still lolling happily. Beach walking tomorrow..

I'm finally forcing myself to absorb gradually how to use my digital camera. (See page 82... for that question)

Manana.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 08:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Today was just a perfect day for you, osso - happy belated birthday!
Let me know if you have any free time available. If not it's okay too - family
and relatives come first.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 10:54 am
@CalamityJane,
Another beautiful day here..

We are waiting to hear from one of their sons re which day we go up to Orange County.. I do think I'll have some time, though. We leave for LA Friday morning.
A second cousin hasn't answered a message yet, but we don't know if she is somehow mad at all of us (yawn). Anyway, if I see her, it'll be the day we go to O.C.
My big question is if you would mind/would have time coming up here to Solana Beach. I'd rather not ask Patty to drive me down to LJ/SD as she's been knocking her socks off for me for days now. Their place is off of Loma Santa Fe, to the west.

J
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 06:05 pm
@ossobuco,
I wouldn't mind at all, osso - it's not that far from LJ, so just let me know...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 06:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, then. On Tuesday cousin and I will see their sons' families - one is a teacher and it's his half day off, and the other has a work at home day - perfect. The cousin we weren't sure would meet us, will, good - and that's Wednesday. So Thursday is open, CJane - I'll pm you.
0 Replies