the humble hotdog

Philis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 12:00 am
not so humble anymore
Have you been taken back by the price of hotdogs in the last 2 years. hotdogs were the cheap food at one time.
Since I buy only Nathans I am paying $4.59 for 10 dogs.
Then there is the sauerkraut, the buns and the mustard
how can a person live with this outrageous situation
don't tell me to start buying the $.89 hotdogs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 3,813 • Replies: 52

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 12:07 am
@Philis,
Are you near a Costco's or a Sam's Club? Costco, I know, sells Nathan's Famous, at least in the Long Island City, NYC store.
2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents
Philis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 01:26 am
@tsarstepan,
How much are the nathans at those stores I don't have a membership
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 01:37 am
@Philis,
I let my card expired for Costco and hot dogs are for sale on the website.

But I still can get into the Costco just by flashing my card and I'll find out the price on Friday or Saturday if you want. Give me a reason to leave the house. [sigh] Not sure if and how much do stores in different states differ in prices though.
Philis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 01:41 am
@tsarstepan,
ok pick me up a couple of packages Cool
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:56 am
I understand that anyone can walk into Cosco to use a Cosco gift certificate. So have a member buy several of those gift cards and use them when you want - no membership needed.

I'm letting my Sam's Club membership slide.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:04 am
I was startled to see Johnsonville Cajun 'dogs on sale for $1.99 for 8
http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimages/OT365086S.jpg

good eatin'

chai2

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 08:15 am
@Philis,
Philis wrote:

not so humble anymore
Have you been taken back by the price of hotdogs in the last 2 years. hotdogs were the cheap food at one time.
Since I buy only Nathans I am paying $4.59 for 10 dogs.
Then there is the sauerkraut, the buns and the mustard
how can a person live with this outrageous situation
don't tell me to start buying the $.89 hotdogs.

personally, I'd say stop buying hot dogs altogether.

they are nasty. Full of fat, carcinogens and animal parts that I don't like to think about.

Even the organic and/or nitrate free aren't that great a choice.

I just googled, and see that there are a variety of receipes for making your own hot dogs at home.
Sure, there's still a lot of fat in them (which I'm sure you could cut down), but at least you know what's going into them.

Sure you'd have to buy some equipment, like the casings and a sausage grinder, stuffer, but maybe you could find a less expensive used one.

STUFF IT, BUDDY
Oh, you can't just spoon the meat mixture into the casings. You need a sausage stuffer for that. You can find those, too, at SausageMaker.com. On that site, they range in price from $50 for a hand-operated model that can handle three pounds of sausage (right) to a $2,000 motorized stuffer with a 25 lb. capacity. Even better, if you own a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, you can buy a sausage-stuffer attachment for $13.99.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:32 am
Here come the buzz-killers, right on schedule.

This year our minor league Mets had dollar beer-hot dog nights...Nathan's....I was in heaven....Mets weren't half bad either
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:37 am
Awe come on, Pan . . . nobody has yet mentioned the Federal maximum allowed rodent feces and insect parts yet . . .

. . . oops . . .
panzade

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:38 am
@Setanta,
Laughing

I just picked up a quart of pork fried rice...i don't even wanna think about what's in there...
Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:40 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Laughing

I just picked up a quart of pork fried rice...i don't even wanna think about what's in there...

I'm completely impervious to thoughts of what goes into hot dogs, fried rice, or--my favorite--that pork sausage the Chinese put in their pot stickers . . . if i like to eat, i do . . .
panzade

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:42 am
@Setanta,
my God...the pork that goes into Pot stickers....

to die for
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:47 am
I can't stand it . . . i've got some in the freezer . . . eight minutes in boiling water, and then into the skillet . . .

seeyahbye . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:49 am
While the water is heating up, a piece of advice: if you love the way the Chinese prepare pork, and you ever intend to visit the PRC, do not read Red China Blues by Jan Wong.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:51 am
It is my understanding that there are actually poeple who read the ingredients list on packages of the food they eat . . . and believe it is accurate. I don't understand the mental processes of such people. If it tastes good, I eat it. Couldn't care less what's in it, or is alleged to be in it.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:54 am
@panzade,
I have to pay about $8 for those Johnsonville packs in Costa Rica!
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:54 am
@Setanta,
Is it a modern day rendition of Upton Sinclair's The Jungle?
panzade

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:55 am
@Merry Andrew,
may I ask, have you ever gotten sick?...no.?
My theory is: the crappier the food, the stronger the cast iron stomach
panzade

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:55 am
@Robert Gentel,
Yow!!
Viva el capitalismo!
0 Replies