the humble hotdog

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:25 pm
I don't eat hot dogs often, but I enjoy them, mostly, when I do. . much prefer grilled or baked fresh sausage of some sort from a good butcher like Keller's (they have at least ten kinds).

What I have my eye out for, though, is the precise brand of polish dog that was sold to me by a vendor in front of a local Home Depot in the early nineties. Nice and spicy, just the thing after the wracking physical trauma of trying to find some widget while in the throes of remodeling. Maybe those polish dogs were from Costco, which would be too bad as I cut my card up.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:28 pm
I have gotten picky about buying food with artificial flavoring.
Bought more nathans today and the price was $4.29 for 10. Enjoyed it with bun, sauerkraut and guldens. Now having a few chips with french onion dip and pepsi. Who else eats better than we americans. If it;'s bad for you it's good for you.
One day coffee is bad, so is red meat, the next day red meat is good and so is coffee. http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5513/nathanshotdogs.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:47 pm
@Green Witch,
Been there, done that. I'm not very delicate. I like scrapple, and innards in all kinds of formulations.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 08:15 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

whatever...when I'm shopping all that other crap goes out the window

no offense, but that's a load of crap. Do you lose control of your mind when you enter the magical world of the grocery store?

tell me how much you spend on groceries in a week, including your 89 cent hotdogs, and I'd bet you your next paycheck you could could be eating healthier, more delicious food.

The following not directed at you panzade, but the OP...

It cracks me up when people use the excuse the OP is using. That red meat is good for you one day, bad the next, same with coffee etc.

That's just plain not using the common sense God, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster gave you.

back to my original suggestion, why not make your hot dogs yourself if you're so concerned about the expense?

You come here saying hotdogs are too expensive, and in your next post you say the same thing, bringing nothing new to the conversation.

Come back and post again about how much hot dogs cost you, no one heard you the first 2 times.
panzade

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 08:21 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
no offense, but that's a load of crap. Do you lose control of your mind when you enter the magical world of the grocery store?

YUP, me and a million other single men....but all kidding aside. I am a good cook and I eat pretty sensibly for a low cost...no complaints.

0 Replies

Philis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 11:41 pm
sometimes you just should ....eat, drink and be merry, because that too is given to a person by the universe. All the things that could have happened to you today and you are still here
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 08:59 pm
Quote:
Park Slope: Bark Hot Dogs hosts a $30 wine-pairing dinner on December 15 at 7 p.m. called "Champagne Wishes, and Hot Dog Dreams." [Zagat Buzz]

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2009/12/champagne_and_hot_dogs_dinner.html?e=grubstreet--20091204#ixzz0YmNuIEF2

Keep in mind... this restaurant specializes in hot dogs.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:14 am
Recently I read the ingredients in Nathans and they have gluten, also known as gliadin. This very well could be affecting me so I have cut my consumption of Nathans. I only had one w/kraut this week.

Between 0.5 and 1.0 percent of people in the United States are sensitive to gluten due to celiac disease. Celiac disease is caused by an abnormal immune reaction to partially digested gliadin. It probably occurs with comparable frequencies among all wheat-eating populations in the world. Certain allergies and neuropathies are also caused by gluten consumption and inhalation.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 08:05 am
@Philis,
Did you have it on a roll? Rolls have a lot of gluten. You can buy gluten free rolls (they cost 3x what regular rolls cost) or do a search for a "gluten free hot dog roll recipe" and bake your own. I think the gluten in the actual hot dog is fairly tiny. The nitrates and preservatives are probably more likely giving you problems.

Because gluten free is eating so complicated and expensive I think people should be tested by a qualified doctor before diagnosing themselves. One percent of US population is a very small number and it seems gluten sensitive people are popping up everywhere- along with tons of gluten free products. Not all of those who think they have the sensitivity actually do.
Seed

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:17 pm
I am a country boy. There used to be an old little restaurant right down the road that made the best food. Me and my dad would go there after fishing on the weekends. We would both get two chilli cheese dogs with fries, and a soda. The bill wouldn't be more then 5 bucks for the lot of it.

They used the best hot dogs and are the only ones that I buy. They are soooooo good. Never tried a Nathan's before.

Bright Leaf Hot Dogs mmmm mmm good
http://www.carolinapackers.com/hotdogs.html
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:53 pm
@Philis,
Philis wrote:

not so humble anymore
Have you been taken back by the price of hotdogs in the last 2 years.
hotdogs were the cheap food at one time.
Since I buy only Nathans I am paying $4.59 for 10 dogs.
Then there is the sauerkraut, the buns and the mustard
how can a person live with this outrageous situation
don't tell me to start buying the $.89 hotdogs.

With all respect, that 's not even $0.50 a piece.
There was little or no inflation between the beginning
of the Republic and 1933, while we were on the gold standard.
I wish u luck in getting them to restore the gold standard.

David
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:12 pm
Saw this today and thought it was fitting

http://sale.images.woot.com/Venn_Vittles5zdDetail.png
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 01:15 am
@Green Witch,
GW, I had it on a roll. Trying to live a totally free lifestyle without any preservatives or additives or gluten or what the hell they add is possibly impossible. Unless you just consume vegs and even they are questionable today due to pesticides., just like you said, I agree.
Did you ever hear the joke we have so many preservatives in our food now that it takes longer to decompose in the grave.
Solomon said, "eat, drink and be merry". Good advice
0 Replies