Sexiest Man?

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 11:21 pm
All is forgiven, it's been several hours and the worst of the memory is over. I won't vote for 'em either... in sympathy with your "acquiescence."

So, how close in appearance and experience would you say you are to uhmmm, say errrrrrr....... Sean Connery?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 11:32 pm
Thank you, kind miss.

Sean? Well, in appearance I would say that he is perhaps a tad effeminate compared to myself. As to the matter of experience, I can pass on the confidence shared by a great number of women we have both known biblically that he is a fellow to be reckoned with, and his only negative characteristic in this regard is, so I'm told, is that he always, at that very particular moment, yells out "I love you, oh my Scotland!"
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 12:01 am
Well, that's a very worthy comparison then. That strange behavior is quite well-known in the Highlands. (Apparently you're not of the blood?) It's in response to the loss at Culloden in 1746 and a pact the few survivors made. "I give my all to Scotland... they take it literally."
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 05:43 am
This same question addressed in Salon, with letters from readers...http://www.salon.com/sex/letters/2002/11/25/affleck_letters/index.html
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 07:55 am
Shorter than here, but interesting...

This was, I thought, the funniest quote:

Affleck is a whitebread sandwich without meat or mayo.

Apparently he is also too well-groomed!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 07:55 am
Uhhh, what the heck are you doing in the Salon and Sex Letters???
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 09:31 am
Relevancy?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 09:33 am
(previous to this fellow, the column was run by Garrison Keillor)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 09:34 am
Just checking... just checking.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 11:05 am
Well, after all, the column did adddress the same question which headed this thread. And some of the letters are quite good indeed. But do continue to keep an eye on me as I can, at times, in some contexts, behave immoderately.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 11:13 am
Darling Blatham, your promise brought my skepticism to the fore since there is no Republican Party in Canada. It is possible that you follow the old maxim, "Vote early and vote often," (which probably originated in Chicago), in which case, you vote in both countries, making it possible that you treally meant what you said. Hmm.

My only excuse for forgiving you is that you always make me laugh. Your comment about Sean Connery singing "I love you oh my Scotland," made me think of his partner singing, at the same moment, "Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life," ala Madeline Kahn, bringing the moment to operatic heights of ecstacy (that is, if they remembered to brush their teeth).

BTW, I also liked the comment in Salon comparing Ben Affleck to vanilla pudding. Matt Damon is much cuter, but they are both too young. It will take another ten or fifteen years for either of them to become truly sexy. Which gets me thinking about Sidney Poitier...
Enough! I have to get busy.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 12:07 pm
Well then we will continue to observe you for untoward behaviors. I see that our wise and lovely Diane has found you out in the Republican department.

The joke being passed last night was that a certain Canadian Minister has been recently demoted for telling state secrets. Of course, little in our news about THAT gets through!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 12:39 pm
I heard the Canadian PM's aid called Georgie Boy a "moron."
Funny.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 01:19 pm
Another of my favorite men in the movie star sexy department is Jeff Bridges. There is something about this man that just gets me going. But I'm not quite sure what it is. Something about the way he makes eye contact with his ladies........maybe
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 03:35 pm
So, what is to be made of this? ...

"Women are violent. In fact, females are as much a part of the apparatus that triggers male violence as the men themselves. Nobel Prize-winning ethologist Konrad Lorenz described a common behavior in several species of ducks. The female runs out to the edge of her husband's territory and tries to provoke another duck, then runs back to her male, stands next to him, and looks behind her at the enraged rival in the hope that her mate will jump into the fray. Many are the human females who have tried to stir up a similar fight.

Technically, this is called sexual selection. The females of a species develop a craving for a certain kind of guy, and all the males compete to live up to the female ideal. Lady peacocks adore hunks with towering blue tails, so peacock gentlemen sport foppish plumes. Lady bowerbirds swoon over bachelors with an architectural flair, so bowerbird males turn sticks and scraps into a Taj Mahal. And what have human females gone for in nearly every society and time? "Courage" and "bravery." In short, violence."

.... Howard Bloom, The Lucifer Principle

What Bloom posits here would seem to explain my own devilish poor performance on the sexual stage. For ain't I about as prone to violence as ol' Mr. Fezziwig? -- albeit, Sancho Panza ravishing his goatskin is probably a more faithful depiction.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 04:24 pm
Isn't it interesting what makes the world go round? Humans are a bit more complicated than ducks, but yes, seduction, both male and female versions seems to be the topic under discussion here. Sexy being equated with a certain seductive quality. Isn't living fun?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 05:53 pm
I sort of recall that in the work, Demonic Males, it was determined that male apes are considered fearsome, but for the Bonobos, and the females don't egg them on so much as deal with it as best they can. Are we apes or ducks?

Konrad Lorenz, always a favorite of mine (a friend and I duplicated some of his imprinting experiments way back when he was -I think - still alive)... it was his influence that caused me to start having chow dogs when I decided retrievers weren't for me (they breathe too hard). Lorenz dearly loved chows (and the mix of chow and Alsatian) and wrote about them at length. I will always love him for that.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 07:18 pm
Debacle, I had to laugh when I saw the author refer to the female's mate as her husband. I wonder if he identifies with his feathery friend?

If you are as savage as dear old Mr. Fezziwig, you are a vicious beast indeed.

I haven't read The Lucifer Principle, but I disagree with his premise. In this society, courage and bravery aren't necessarily associated with violence; rather, I think they are associated with moral courage and the bravery to stand up for one's beliefs. Besides, haven't the women on this thread been saying that intelligence and a sense of humor are sexy? I know we aren't alone in that belief.

(Ravishing a goat skin???)

I just finished watching the movie Glory. Denzel Washington has always made my heart beat faster, but I realized that Morgan Freeman has an amazing amount of sex appeal. Of course, I have never gone for the usual.

Piffka and Lola, my biggest laugh yesterday was hearing about the Canadian PM's aide calling GW a moron.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 08:46 pm
Piffka mentions bonobos, and that's a very relevant reminder in a discussion where we look at other species for clues to human behavior.

When Goodall's research revealed (suddenly and surprisingly to her) that the Gombe chimps could be murderously violent, more than a few commentators drew parallels from this data to ourselves. Chimps, of course, are our closest primate relative being some 98% identical to us genetically. So, those inferences were very tempting.

Then, the bonobos showed up. We've actually only known of them, and studied them, for a very short time. And their social behavior is really very unique, non-violent, and actually, of the eye-widening sort - social friction is resolved with sexuality, they don't fight, they hump. And as it happens, they are more recently separated off from us than any of the other chimps, so are genetically closest.

Yet, this behavior is seldomly thought of as a model for understanding we humans. There is no reason for that other than cultural sanctions regarding sexuality. Violence is somehow more acceptable to point to. 'African Genesis' and 'The Naked Ape' took their turns at drawing parallels between animal behavior (particularly in primates) and early human history via archaeological remains. One example was a humanoid skull found in South Africa by Raymond Dart which had two holes at the top of the cranium. He posited a violent murder by another hominid. A later researcher found that those two holes perfectly fit the large canines of a saber tooth, and this thesis matched other remains found with the skull.

The point being, we need to understand that all these parallels are big fat guesses.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 08:57 pm
I ought to fill you guys in on this 'moron' story. About a week ago, an aide to our Prime Minister referred to Bush as 'that moron'. Our press picked up on this quickly, and within a day or so, Robert Novak was frothing about it and called Canadians 'a bunch of weenies'. Carville said, "Who cares. People here have called him lots worse." The aide offered her resignatin twice, but the PM refused to accept it, even while our own species of right wing folks were yelling for her head..."We abore this denigration of the leader of our neighbor and trading partner...and we are tired of anti-Americanism from this government". Several days ago, Sadaam even quoted the lady's comment. Yesterday, the PM was convinced by members of his own circle that the story wasn't dying down and convinced him to finally accept the resignation. Our papers have been churning with letters arguing both sides, with a large number from US citizens who did say worse things about Bush.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Sexiest Man?
  3. » Page 6
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/16/2024 at 06:23:47