Sexiest Man?

Piffka

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 11:55 am
Voice sucking is in the "ear" of the beholder. I like to hear somebody sing who feels it. I admit, listening to Dylan, EVERYONE feels like they could sing, too, in part, to drown him out, mebbe.

Good explanation though Debacle, and you're getting good points.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:02 pm
here's a bit about Carmichael from the link blatham posted:

During the next decade, Hoagy moved from backstage into the spotlight. He worked with lyricists Johnny Mercer, Frank Loesser and Mitchell Parish. He became a star performer on records, radio and stage with a signature style, and began appearing in movies, most memorably in "To Have and Have Not" and "The Best Years of Our Lives". He got married and fathered two sons. In one year, 1946, he had three of the top four songs on the Hit Parade, and in 1951 he and Mercer won an Oscar for "In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening." He hosted his own television show, "The Saturday Night Review."

definitely more than just a songwriter

(the website's great, blatham)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:19 pm
I cracked up Deb, in St. Louis, "hoosier" is the term used for hillbillies and white trash . . . heeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:10 pm
Yep, I've heered that, Setanta, which jest goes to show me them show-me folks sho don't reckunize quality when they's showed it. Laughing

I have a niece in St. Louis (I was just speakin' about her and her tomcat over on the Avatar thread.) She lived here in Indiana her whole life before movin' to SL a coupla year back. And yet here she is callin' evah rube 'at rolls into town on the back of a turnip wagon a "hoosier." And if 'at ain't ridiculess enough, Gawd love 'er, her own accent is straight outta Li'l Abner! She's got the daintess figger, the beyootifuless counteness, and the voice a Minnie Pearl.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:12 pm
HOWWWWWWWWWWWWW_DEE[/color][/b]
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:18 pm
from the sexiest man alive to Minnie Pearl. this is almost like a real conversation. :grin: :wink:
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 02:11 pm
Lawd a mersy, ehBeth! The sexiest man alive ... you don't 'alf flatter me! There's just something about a woman bold as brass. I got one sittin' in the other room right now, though her brass, when she ain't trumpeting over my shortcomin's, generally takes the form of knuckles.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 02:19 pm
:: eyelashes fluttering ::

:: coquettish giggling ::

:: smilin' up at th'DillPickle a la LadyDi through lashes (did you know that gives one a fierce headache?) ::
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 02:27 pm
Is there more than one Hit Parade?
I just checked Google for the Hit Parade, 1946 version, to find out what songs Hoagy Carmichael had on it.... couldn't find any.

http://64.33.34.112/.HITS/1946.html#1946TOP
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 03:40 pm
minnie pearll
I don't know if you are aware of it Mr. Debacle but Minnie Pearl was a trained Shakesperian Actress.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 04:09 pm
Well I'll swan ... I knowed she was in the opry for quite a spell.

Actually, seaglass, I was aware of her Shakespearean talents though that wasn't the voice to which I was referring.

Anyway, welcome to A2K -- 'tis a grand site, and you're off to a fine start, taking a chief moron to task with your first posting. Jolly good!

Oh, BTW, you don't have to address me as Mr. -- most don't. Plain ol' Monsieur be just fine. Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 04:15 pm
Debacle- You mean that I no longer have to address you as "Your Imperial Highness"? Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 04:37 pm
Phoenix -- just 'highness", without the "imperial", will do quite nicely for M. deBacle. Quite appropriate, too, I trow.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 04:48 pm
Nah, Imperial isn't necessary, Phoenix. Just make it Chivas Regal.

Andrew, your impertinence is exceeded only by your bonhomie. Drunk
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 06:46 pm
Dunno 'bout them bony homes, D. Or is that bonny homes? As my charges say, whatever.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 07:56 pm
I recall watching the Dylan 50th celebration a few years back. I'd been a fan forever of the man's lyrics, but that concert brought home to me the incredible range of his compositional skills. That's an achievement which few have managed, certainly Cohen has not. Yet, Cohen, I think, can do some things Dylan cannot. Neither have 'good' voices in one sense of that term, but to limit one's appreciation to such a narrow definition seems a bit barren, ignoring the poetic and powerful quality of their enunciation.

But I'll beat the drum too for the earlier boys (and girls...Peggy Lee wrote "We are Siamese" and it is a little work of genius). Ira Gershwin's "It Ain't Necessarily So" is as brilliant a bit of writing as I've come across anywhere in any genre. That song, if it were released now intact by, say, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, would likely be banned on some southern radio stations.

And, my daughter has wisely directed my attention to Eminem. If this boy manages to stay unshot, he is going to produce an exceptional body of work.

Regarding all these fine songwriters, is it too trite to say that I wouldn't want to be without any of them?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 08:44 pm
I have not yet learned to appreciate Eminem. I always start by reading his lyrics and become so enraged that I'm forced to stop. Certainly he has not yet reached the point where I would consider him sexy. So far, he is just irritating.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 09:40 pm
Piffka

I understand.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 10:09 pm
I was 'forced' to listen to Eminem by the adult (34 y.o.) son of a friend a couple of years ago. My friend's son is someone i respect a great deal, so i suffered, and listened, and eventually started to understand what D. was on about. Still a tough slog for me, but I do appreciate the work Eminem's doing. I don't like it anymore than I like Dylan, but I do understand it better (and I kinda like his voice, much as i learned to like Kid Rock).
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 10:40 pm
Eminem is exceptional, particularly considering the genre he works in, a genre I generally dislike. I find it a bit disconcerting that the best rapper in the whole world happens to be white while the best golfer in the history of the game happens to be black.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Sexiest Man?
  3. » Page 18
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 01:59:44