Vitamins - Name Brand vs. Store Brand

gollum

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 11:45 am
Are name brand vitamins better than store brand vitamin that list the same grams and IUs?

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 11:59 am
@gollum,
In my opinion, generic type products are just as good name brand ones. You're just paying more.

In the case of vitamins though, there's quite a bit of research out there that questions whether or not the taking of such is really necessary for us.

I used to take them, but decided to stop, but you will have to do your own research on this and decide for yourself.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 12:59 pm
If you are eating a proper diet, supplementing it with vitamins is unnecessary. If you are not eating a proper diet, attend to that. Once your body has got the vitamins it needs from your food, it does not make use of any extra that you might take.

gollum

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 01:20 pm
@contrex,
Reyn & Contrex-
Thank you.

My doctor told me to take Calcium with Vitamin D pills for my osteoporosis. He didn't mention if different brands have different levels of effectiveness.

The Caltrate brand of Calcium plus Vitamin D tablets states on the container:

"Caltrate products have 20% more calcium per tablet than most other leading brands of calcium supplements. Caltrate has been clinically tested for proven absorption and is made with calcium carbonate, the most concentrated form of calcium. This mean you need to take just 2 tablets per day to get the calcium recommended by the Institute of Medicine for adults 51 years and older (1200 mg)."
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 01:26 pm
Industrialized food production has depleted both soil and food nutrients and it’s compounded by widespread consumption of unripe produce shipped across continents.

Part of the reason I take my vitamins. Plus, people rarely eat a full range of healthy food regularly enough to get them all naturally, even if the food really did have enough nutrition in it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 01:43 pm
I look for "natural" on the label. Also, I switch brands frequently, because I don't know who to trust.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 01:46 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
If you are eating a proper diet, supplementing it with vitamins is unnecessary.

That's very true. However, I don't believe I actually personally know one single person who routinely eats a proper diet on a consistent basis. Not one. For most of us living in the real world (as opposed to the fantasy promulgated by dietitians) a daily multiple vitamin (regardless of brand name) is a damn' good idea.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 02:07 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:
My doctor told me to take calcium with Vitamin D pills for my osteoporosis. He didn't mention if different brands have different levels of effectiveness.

Some Calcium is better absorbed by the body than others: Calcium Carbonate
would be one, or chelated Calcium another. Don't take Calcium from Oyster shell or Dolomite, they contain lead. I'd recommend Calcium Carbonate as
it's readily absorbed and 500 mg of Calcium Carbonate give you at least 200 mg
of elemental Calcium. I take 1000 mg of Calcium Carbonate per day.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 03:43 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Vitamin supplements aren’t really necessary for a normal, healthy adult although in the UK, official guidelines recommend that everyone over the age of 65 takes a supplement of vitamin D.

All of the vitamins and minerals that the body needs are either produced in the body, which means as long as the body is functioning properly it should be producing enough, or in the foods we eat.

By eating a balanced diet on a regular basis, there should be no reason for you to take vitamin supplements. A normal healthy diet is not something special; it is within the reach of almost everyone in Western countries.

UK guidelines describe such a diet like this: "A healthy, well balanced diet is one which contains plenty of fibre-rich starchy foods and fruit and vegetables, moderate amounts of meat or its alternatives, milk and milk products and only small amounts of foods and drinks containing fat and/or sugar."

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 04:07 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

My doctor told me to take Calcium with Vitamin D pills for my osteoporosis.

Yes, I think that is a different matter than the multiple vitamin scenario.

My wife also takes a calcium supplement with a vitamin D component. It's especially important for her due to the special diet she is on, which does not allow her to drink milk.

She is taking it to ward off possible osteoporisis as well.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 04:13 pm
The answer to your question is that name brand is not the same as store brand. Supplements are not very well regulated, and it has been found that off brand quite often does not have the advertised levels, sometimes not any at all, and is more prone to contain contamination. Off brand stuff also has absorbability issues much greater than name brand, as in it never gets into your blood system thus does you no good.

My advise is that if you are in America get a membership to Costco, and buy from them. Costco sends its stuff out for lab tests to make sure that the supplements are what they are supposed to be. They also have fair pricing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 04:31 pm
Unless things have changed, you don't have to be a member of Costco to use their pharmacies.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 04:36 pm
@ossobuco,
suppliments are not part of the pharmacy, I don't think that they qualify, but I might be wrong.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 04:40 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Vitamin supplements aren’t really necessary for a normal, healthy adult although in the UK, official guidelines recommend that everyone over the age of 65 takes a supplement of vitamin D.

All of the vitamins and minerals that the body needs are either produced in the body, which means as long as the body is functioning properly it should be producing enough, or in the foods we eat.

By eating a balanced diet on a regular basis, there should be no reason for you to take vitamin supplements. A normal healthy diet is not something special; it is within the reach of almost everyone in Western countries.

UK guidelines describe such a diet like this: "A healthy, well balanced diet is one which contains plenty of fibre-rich starchy foods and fruit and vegetables, moderate amounts of meat or its alternatives, milk and milk products and only small amounts of foods and drinks containing fat and/or sugar."

The definition of a vitamin is "an organic substance needed by the body for biological processes, but that is not made by the body. " Therefore, if our body is making it, it's not a vitamin, and our body doesn't produce minerals. What would it produce them from? No one eats meals regularly that contain the RDA of every vitamin and mineral. For example, the average diet contains only 40 to 50% of the RDA of calcium.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 06:31 pm
contrex-
Thank you.

I believe Vitamin D is naturally produced by the human body when exposed to direct sunlight.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 07:03 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

contrex-
Thank you.

I believe Vitamin D is naturally produced by the human body when exposed to direct sunlight.

Maybe the deal is that the body cannot make it without the sunlight.
roger

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 07:25 pm
@Brandon9000,
True. I've heard that above a certain latitude, it is impossible to get enough sunlight. The rest of us may still not received enough sunlight.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 12:22 am

Quote:
Official health warning on risk of vitamin supplements

From The Times
April 16, 2008

Millions of people taking vitamin supplements will today be urged to exercise caution by the Department of Health over fears that in some cases they may do more harm than good.

“Most people are able to meet their nutritional needs by eating a balanced, varied diet including plenty of fruit and vegetables, and therefore do not need to take dietary supplements,” a spokesperson said last night.

The advice, following a large review of scientific evidence first published last year and reported in The Times, comes as scientists appeal for greater regulation of vitamin supplements.

“There is a need to exercise caution in the use of high doses of purified supplements of vitamins, including antioxidant vitamins, and minerals, as their impact on long term health may not have been fully established and they cannot be assumed to be without risk,” she said.

“Anyone concerned about their diet should speak to their doctor or dietitian.”

Read on for more details of the tests and results here

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article3754205.ece
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 04:31 am
C an't have people getting too healthy. It cuts into the drug companies' profits.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:15 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:
If you are eating a proper diet, supplementing it with vitamins is unnecessary.

That's very true. However, I don't believe I actually personally know one single person who routinely eats a proper diet on a consistent basis. Not one. For most of us living in the real world (as opposed to the fantasy promulgated by dietitians) a daily multiple vitamin (regardless of brand name) is a damn' good idea.

Seriously. To get your Omega 3 fatty acids you can eat a cup of kidney beans a day, or a spoonful of cod liver oil.

Here's a website that rates vitamin brands: www.vitacost.com

0 Replies