Ottawa Sean

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 09:41 am
Wow, didn't expect this much of a debate on the subject. Just wanted to point out a few things.

First of all, I live in Ottawa, Ontario, and the majority of our major streets have specific lanes for cyclists, or a bike path on the side. There is talk about doing more to make it a more bike friendly city due to some recent fatal and near fatal accidents with cyclists. The road I was on, had a cyclist lane on each side for each direction.

From reports I have read, it has been statistically proven that riding on the sidewalk causes more accidents then riding on the road. While I don't really take these statictical surveys seriously, there is some truth to them. It can be, however, safer to ride on the sidewalk in some situations. It is NEVER safer to ride on the sidewalk going through busy intersections though... I don't care what city you are in, if you value your safety, you should at least slow down to cross one.

People seem to have missed the point that not only was he riding on the sidewalk at full speed, through an intersection, he was riding on it going the WRONG direction, which is even more dangerous than driving on the sidewalk following the direction of traffic. For those cities out there that allow driving on the sidewalk, surely they must have some rule about which direction you are allowed to do so on.

And to correct the person who said I should have looked right, I DID look right, I just didn't look twice. He was not in my sight when I looked. I've been back at the same intersection since, and because of hedges along the sidewalk, it is impossible to see more than 5 meters to your right until you enter the intersection. It was literally 5 seconds since the last time I looked right (i had to wait for 2 cars to pass). Yeah his bike looked like junk, but that doesn't mean he wasn't going fast on it.

For those of you who choose to ride your bikes on the sidewalk because you are scared of the road, be my guest. I couldn't care less. Just make sure you are mindful of pedestrians as it is THEIR sidewalk, watch out for cars backing out of driveways cause they can't see you, and make sure you are driving WITH the direction of traffic, and not against it.
Mexica

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 02:57 pm
@Setanta,
and yet, you keep seeking out and responding to my posts lol
Mexica

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 03:04 pm
@Ottawa Sean,
Quote:
For those of you who choose to ride your bikes on the sidewalk because you are scared of the road, be my guest. I couldn't care less. Just make sure you are mindful of pedestrians as it is THEIR sidewalk, watch out for cars backing out of driveways cause they can't see you, and make sure you are driving WITH the direction of traffic, and not against it.

I put in between 200 & 250 weekly on my bike. It is very rare when I use the sidewalk--usually just to get from my apartment to the street. But when I do ride, I am ever cautions of motorists, especially if I know I'm doing something exceedingly unexpected.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 04:38 pm
@Ottawa Sean,
Ottawa Sean wrote:

Just make sure you are mindful of pedestrians as it is THEIR sidewalk, watch out for cars backing out of driveways cause they can't see you, and make sure you are driving WITH the direction of traffic, and not against it.

May I offer a minor correction? They can see you when they are backing out. There's something about leaving your own driveway that makes people feel safe. They already know the way is clear, so they don't bother to look
Ottawa Sean

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:35 am
@roger,
I should have said they can't always see you. Depends on the size of the driveway and whether or not there is anything blocking their view. Granted, if they back up slowly as they should, you should have enough time to see them and react.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:10 am
@Mexica,
Oh yeah . . . i've always enjoyed poking trolls with a sharp stick . . . and you are certainly trollish . . .

But don't delude yourself, i don't "seek out your posts," you're a legend in your own mind. If you weren't posting in a thread i was already following, i'd pay no attention to you.
0 Replies

jerksta

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 03:33 am
@Ottawa Sean,
man this **** happened to me last week, i had stopped at a red light to make a right. when the light turn green i proceeded to make the turn when all of a sudden a cyclist slams on the passenger door. im in a company vehicle I get an as him if needs a medica attention, he replies no he didnt want to get the authorities invloved. i asked him for his ID Nd he didnt have he is an ilegall alien. i asked him what do you want to do he said just fix my bike. I didnt know the bike laws so i said how much not trying to invlve my company, he said $200. i said wait a minute thats too much he wasnt event hurt, so i wrote him chec for $150, something i should hae never done. later that evening he phoned me and said he wanted $500 now or eslse he willl get a lawyer. by that time i had reaseache the bike laws, and i tried to make him understand that he was at fault not me, and the $150 was from the kindness of my heart. so i was forced to tell my boss, and company about the incident a day later which doesnt look good on my behalff. now i might lose my Job cause of some greedy little undocumented mexican......pretty EfFF UPP.
0 Replies