Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 11:30 pm
hi there can someone please tell me if I made a variety of mixed sandwiches (ham, chicken,egg and lettuce) and placed them on a trolley with a clean tea towel covering them for 4 hours at room temperature, what will happen to these sandwiches and will there be a CCP?
any answers very grateful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,874 • Replies: 8

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 12:16 am
@buffy31329,
You'd probably be guilty of inflicting food poison on anyone that ate them.

The information on this website will be helpful to your education about safe food storage:

http://foodqualitysafety.com/category/food-storage/
buffy31329

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 01:06 am
@Butrflynet,
Thank you, doing a food course study, i know about the bad bacteria forming. just wanted to confirm it ... thanks for the web link
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 11:13 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
You'd probably be guilty of inflicting food poison on anyone that ate them.

Not probable at all after 4 hours. In fact highly unlikely.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 11:22 am
@Robert Gentel,
yeah, I'd probaly be dead by now at least several times a week for the past 50 years.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 11:26 am
@dyslexia,
I'm pretty squeamish about it but in many places I've lived the food is left out much of the day. Lunch might be put in the oven (off, of course) while waiting to be eaten for dinner.

I'm finicky about it, and don't like it, but they aren't getting sick because of it.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 11:34 am
@Robert Gentel,
I brown-bagged my lunch (sammiches) pretty much my entire career, the last few years our office got a fridge, before that my lunch sat in the bottom drawer of my desk.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 01:40 pm
Really.

I took all manner of sandwiches to school for 8 years.

It sat in a brown paper bag, along with everyone elses, on a shelf in the coatroom. Didn't matter if it was January or June, none of us ever got sick.

If sammiches are covered with a tea towel, they are especially protected.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 01:57 pm
If you have a pathogenic bacterium sitting around on your sandwich, that would multiply pretty quickly at room temperature. (On the other hand, in some cases, it can take just one virulent bacterium, and that one could have been sitting in the refrigerator all that time too, not dead, just not multiplying much if at all.) Years ago when people made their own mayonnaise more often, you might be getting some salmonella in with that mayo if the eggs in the mayo were themselves contaminated. Today we worry about pathogenic e. coli on spinach, and, I guess, lettuce. This all seems fairly rare to me. I too have never gotten sick from a sandwich at room temp for a bunch of hours.
0 Replies