Conservatives say the Bible is too Liberal

revel

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 03:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
He told his disciples to buy a sword so that Jesus could show them that he did not desire to defend himself with a sword when the soldiers came with swords and staves.

Matthew 26: 51 And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear. 52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. 53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? 54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?
ebrown p

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 03:16 pm
@revel,
The most liberal view on this is from Jesus himself saying that you shouldn't resist an evil person... and in fact you should let them steal from you.

There really is no way to distort this one.

Quote:

(From Matthew 5)

Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.

Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 03:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Your argument to ebrown about Paul just offering his own private opinion does not square with what the Bible says about the scripture (the whole bible)being the inspiration of God. Either all of it is inspired by God or else the bible gives out a lie when it says all scripture is inspired by God. It is not supposed to be composed of private preachers (prophets) ramblings.

2Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 04:20 pm
@revel,
revel wrote:

Your argument to ebrown about Paul just offering his own private opinion does not square with what the Bible says about the scripture (the whole bible)being the inspiration of God. Either all of it is inspired by God or else the bible gives out a lie when it says all scripture is inspired by God. It is not supposed to be composed of private preachers (prophets) ramblings.

2Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
OK. Accepting that at face value:
did u buy a sword or a gun, as Jesus told you to ?

In view of this,
buying a sword or a gun has FIRST AMENDMENT protection
as a religious DUTY,
in addition to Second Amendment protection as a right and 14th Amendment immunity.

David
revel

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 05:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
you are off the deep end when it comes to guns (swords) david and guilty of "twisting scripture for your own ends".
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 05:35 am
@revel,
revel wrote:

you are off the deep end when it comes to guns (swords) david
and guilty of "twisting scripture for your own ends".
If u think that is true,
then Y do YOU think Jesus told everyone to buy a sword
who does not have one, even if u need to sell your coat to finance the purchase ?
revel

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 05:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
He did not tell everyone to buy a sword but only those apostles who were him on Mt Olives and he did it to make a point he did not need to be defended by swords because his Father could send thousands of angels if he required it, but the scriptures needed to be fulfilled. He was not advocating on buying guns or advocating on gun control.
dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 05:51 am
@revel,
Or simply deluded and not knowingly lying.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 05:53 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I would also note that Jesus told them to buy a sword only for this special occasion. The fact that they had to buy the sword (he didn't tell them to "bring" their sword) meant that at this point they didn't already have one.

They had been with Jesus for three years without ever having owned a sword. During all this time Jesus was telling them to give to the poor, to love their neighbor and to forgive people. Obviously for three years a sword was not a necessity (and was not even mentioned in the list of what Jesus considered important).
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 05:59 am
@revel,
revel wrote:

He did not tell everyone to buy a sword but only those apostles who were him on Mt Olives and he did it to make a point he did not need to be defended by swords because his Father could send thousands of angels if he required it, but the scriptures needed to be fulfilled. He was not advocating on buying guns or advocating on gun control.
If u read it again, slowly,
I am confident that u will see that there is inconsistency
between what Jesus actually said (Luke 22:36) and your interpretation thereof.

What he said is simple and clear.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 10:41 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I would also note that Jesus told them to buy a sword only for this special occasion. [ ?? ]
[ WHAT "special occasion" ????
There was a "special occasion" ???? ]

The fact that they had to buy the sword (he didn't tell them to "bring" their sword)
meant that at this point they didn't already have one.
Read my quotes, set forth below
He did not tell THEM to buy a sword, rather he said, in general,
that whoever does not have one shoud BUY one

They had been with Jesus for three years without ever having owned a sword.
Then WHERE did those 2 swords come from ??

During all this time Jesus was telling them to give to the poor,
to love their neighbor and to forgive people. Obviously [ ?? ]
for three years a sword was not a necessity
(and was not even mentioned in the list of what Jesus considered important).
Yeah? Well it was mentioned in the list of Luke 22:38
and those swords were RIGHT THERE, when he brought up the subject
Mr. Brown, what u said is rong, false and inaccurate.
It is also bogus, unfounded, incorrect and untrue.
Luke 22:36 of the King James Version Bible says:
"Then he said unto them, But but now, he that hath a purse,
let him take it . . . and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

(continuing)

Luke 22:38 And they said, Lord, here are two swords.
And he said unto them, It is enough." Jesus APPROVED of the 2 swords.

Jesus was clearly exhorting everyone to buy a sword who does not have one.
Today, that extrapolates into a handgun; my own interpretation is a .44 revolver
loaded with hollowpointed slugs (with W I D E cavities) for optimal stopping power

I have been informed that under Jewish Law,
it is a sin to fail to defend yourself from homicide.

David
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 07:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
There is no inconsistency when you use your reasoning instead of your obsession with guns. Perhaps you should read it slowly without your ideological blinders on to obscure your view.

In Luke he told them to buy a sword, by the way, not everyone. Moreover, if he told them to buy a sword so they could use it to defend themselves, why did he tell to put their swords up in its place and who ever uses a sword will die by the sword? The only reasonable explanation which can be reached is that he wanted to illustrate that he did not need swords or other weapons in his offense because he could have prayed to God and had thousands of angels sent to defend him if he so desired.

Quote:
Mat 26:51 And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out [his] hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear.

Mat 26:52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Mat 26:53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?

Mat 26:54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

I think we can get a clear idea how those conservatives would change the wording in the Bible just by observing the exchanges you and I have had.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 12:58 pm
@revel,
revel wrote:

Quote:

There is no inconsistency when you use your reasoning
instead of your obsession with guns.
Revel, u have superimposed your own reasoning over that of Jesus
(as set forth in Luke 22:36) to get a resut that u prefer.
In other words, u re-wrote Jesus because u did not like what he said.
My obsession with guns has not caused me to lose my ability to read plain English.

Quote:
Perhaps you should read it slowly without your ideological blinders on to obscure your view.
I have read it quite a few times already
and I am willing to continue to do so, because I like what I see.

Quote:
In Luke he told them to buy a sword, by the way, not everyone.
That is a mistake, Revel.
Jesus said: "he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
If u were correct that he was only ordering his own immediate followers, within the sound of his voice,
to get swords unless thay already had one, then what was the reasoning for that?
U claim that he wanted each of his immediate followers
to have a sword; i.e., 12 followers = 12 swords.
What was his reasoning for this, according to the story?
We know that he was NOT preparing for a fight.
As u correctly quoted from Matthew 26:52, he stopped resistance
at the local time and place, because he was not supposed to prevent the crucifiction.
According to your interpretation, Revel,
what was Jesus' reasoning in desiring each of his followers to have a sword ?
Meaning no disrespect, I truely do not want to hurt your feelings,
but it is clear that Jesus was NOT telling his immediate followers to get a sword;
he was recommending it generally and universally.
I understand that Jewish Law requires u to resist getting murdered
and that failure to do so is a sin.

Quote:
Moreover, if he told them to buy a sword so they could use it to defend themselves,
He did not do that; he was recommending it generally and universally.

Quote:
why did he tell to put their swords up in its place

He did that to enable the crucification to happen.

Quote:
and who ever uses a sword will die by the sword?

At the time and place, resistance was inappropriate,
so he told them to put their swords away
because the crucifiction had to proceed.

Additionally, the number of swords that we know of (2 swords)
was tactically insufficient to overcome the soldiers
and the multitude anyway; therefore, fighting woud be futile
and his immediate followers woud be overwhelmed and killed
if thay used their swords there and then, but in the future,
in centuries and millenia to come, swords and guns coud be applied to better effect.

Quote:
The only reasonable explanation which can be reached is that he wanted to illustrate that he did not need swords or other weapons in his offense because he could have prayed to God and had thousands of angels sent to defend him if he so desired.
That is better stated that because he coud get 1000s of angels to defend him,
HE did not need swords, but over the forthcoming millenia
others woud need swords and other weapons.

Quote:
Mat 26:51 And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out [his] hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear.

Mat 26:52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Mat 26:53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?

Mat 26:54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

dyslexia

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 05:26 pm
I see the topic title "Conservatives say the Bible is too liberal" I think this might be interesting but then I see last post by Om Sig David and immediately know the thread is really about guns so I just pass it by.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 06:04 pm
When a thread becomes all David all the time, I tune out.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:38 am
@dyslexia,

R u gonna put that into your autobiografy ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:45 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

When a thread becomes all David all the time, I tune out.
U raise memories of the 1950s song by Patience and Prudence:
"I Got Along Without You Before I Met You, Gonna Get Along Without You Now."
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 09:31 pm
Public stonings are just not frequent enough... Less mercy and more condemnation... (cynical) Smile

I don't trust anything the conservatives do... I will stick with my KJVB...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 09:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Jesus spoke metaphysically, Just as he said he would destroy the temple and raise it up in three days... "The sword of the spirit is the word of God..."

The pen is mightier than the sword... Edward Bulwer-Lytton
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:20 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Jesus spoke metaphysically, Just as he said he would destroy the temple and raise it up in three days...
How do u know that?
Did he authorize u to represent him ?
0 Replies