UFOs, Aliens, Ghosts, Believed More Than God

Chumly

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 09:15 am
@CarbonSystem,
Your assertion would only be accurate if one assumes mutual exclusivity to the word in question, supreme precision in your ability to divine another's intent and a myopic sense of humor.
CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 12:48 pm
@Chumly,
In other words, you admit that your foolish stance on god and f=ma crumbled every so quickly?

Yes, now I see.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 01:13 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
Quote:
By Urmee Khan
Published: 9:39AM GMT 24 Nov 2008

While 54 per cent of people believe in God, 58 per cent believe in the supernatural.

The number who believe in the supernatural would HAVE to be greater than (or equal) to the number that believe in God because God is a subset of the Supernatural. So the balance reported there is not surprising.

It's interesting that 4% of people who believe in the supernatural don't believe in a "mainstream religion" God. I wonder if that 4% are Atheist, or if they just follow a non-"Mainstream" religion.

What do those people believe exactly? Is it a Pantheistic God, or no God or something else?
Chumly

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 11:20 am
@CarbonSystem,
CarbonSystem wrote:

In other words, you admit that your foolish stance on god and f=ma crumbled every so quickly?

Yes, now I see.
A straw man argument.
Chumly

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 11:32 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Chumly wrote:
Quote:
By Urmee Khan
Published: 9:39AM GMT 24 Nov 2008

While 54 per cent of people believe in God, 58 per cent believe in the supernatural.

The number who believe in the supernatural would HAVE to be greater than (or equal) to the number that believe in God because God is a subset of the Supernatural. So the balance reported there is not surprising.

It's interesting that 4% of people who believe in the supernatural don't believe in a "mainstream religion" God. I wonder if that 4% are Atheist, or if they just follow a non-"Mainstream" religion.

What do those people believe exactly? Is it a Pantheistic God, or no God or something else?
I think you'll find that many religious people don't consider their religion and supernatural belief to be the same. For example Christians would likely dismiss warlocks as supernatural nonsense, yet maintain that their bible is the word of god. I'm not quite sure how to interpret those stats as perhaps they suggest a group that not only considers religion and the supernatural to be different, but that they believe in both.
CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 01:24 pm
@Chumly,
Highbrow internet rhetoric.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 08:42 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
I think you'll find that many religious people don't consider their religion and supernatural belief to be the same.

You might be right about that. In which case, I'm not sure what that survey means any more. We would have to know what those people think the definition of God, and the Supernatural are.
Chumly

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 12:32 pm
@rosborne979,
I agree that we would have to know what those people think the definition of God and the Supernatural are and I agree that the survey's meaning could well be confusing.
0 Replies