1
   

UFOs, Aliens, Ghosts, Believed More Than God

 
 
Chumly
 
Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 05:11 pm
Jesus has left the building and the Aliens have center stage!
Quote:
Believers in UFOs, aliens and ghosts outnumber those who follow mainstream religions, a survey has found.

By Urmee Khan
Published: 9:39AM GMT 24 Nov 2008

While 54 per cent of people believe in God, 58 per cent believe in the supernatural.

Researchers found women were more likely to believe in the supernatural than men, and were more likely to visit a medium.

Some 37 per cent said aliens and ghosts were the basis of their belief system.

The study, to mark the DVD release of X Files: I Want to Believe, conflicts with another report that showed 68.5 per cent of the general UK population described themselves as believers .

Files released in October revealed cases of passenger jets nearly colliding with UFOs and reports of alien abduction which have been logged by the Ministry of Defence.

The 19 files, disclosed by the National Archives which date from 1986 to 1992, show the extensive records of strange sightings by members of the public and unexplained radar images from air traffic control.

In the files, the military admitted the sighting in April 1991 could not be explained, having ruled out a British or American missile.

It concluded: "In the absence of any clear evidence which could be used to identify the object, it is our intention to treat this sighting like that of any other Unidentified Flying Object."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,765 • Replies: 27
No top replies

 
Reyn
 
  1  
Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 05:29 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

While 54 per cent of people believe in God, 58 per cent believe in the supernatural.

That's 112%. Huh?
Chumly
 
  1  
Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 06:53 pm
@Reyn,
Only if one assumes mutual exclusivity!
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 06:56 pm
When it comes to ghosts, I am an atheist. UFOs, I am a "show me" type of person. Aliens, I believe, are probably out there.
Chumly
 
  1  
Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 07:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
Cartman Gets an Anal Probe!

http://www.1video.nl/video.aspx?sr=1&vid=DlRU9PvvOkCypES9RUblxw
0 Replies
 
Merry Andrew
 
  1  
Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 08:18 pm
@Chumly,
Quote:
UFOs, Aliens, Ghosts, Believed More Than God


No, now!
Does this come as a surprise to anybody?
Chumly
 
  1  
Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 10:07 pm
@Merry Andrew,
An amusement to some, a disappointment to others, an anal probe for Cartman!
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 07:49 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
UFOs, Aliens, Ghosts, Believed More Than God
Somehow this doesn't surprise me.
0 Replies
 
Francis
 
  1  
Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:01 am
@Chumly,
Probably god is coming on board of an alien starship..
Chumly
 
  1  
Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 10:01 am
@Francis,
Don't forget that the saucer is a cousin to the plate, and the Bible has a great deal to say about cousin marriage, and not once does it say anything negative about it.
0 Replies
 
CarbonSystem
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 02:41 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Chumly wrote:

While 54 per cent of people believe in God, 58 per cent believe in the supernatural.

That's 112%. Huh?


many believe (myself included) that the supernatural and god are the same energy and force. different words and stories evolve from the same thing.
Chumly
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:55 am
@CarbonSystem,
F = MA but for you F = O therefore in order for the equation to balance MA = O

That's not very promising.
CarbonSystem
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 12:30 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

F = MA but for you F = O therefore in order for the equation to balance MA = O

That's not very promising.


not really sure what you're referring to.
Chumly
 
  1  
Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:44 pm
@CarbonSystem,
CarbonSystem wrote:

Chumly wrote:

F = MA but for you F = O therefore in order for the equation to balance MA = O

That's not very promising.


not really sure what you're referring to.

OK, force equal mass times acceleration. You equated force with "the supernatural and god" thus F = O, thus MA = O, that's not very promising for your claim!
CarbonSystem
 
  1  
Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 02:14 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

CarbonSystem wrote:

Chumly wrote:

F = MA but for you F = O therefore in order for the equation to balance MA = O

That's not very promising.


not really sure what you're referring to.

OK, force equal mass times acceleration. You equated force with "the supernatural and god" thus F = O, thus MA = O, that's not very promising for your claim!



yes i understand the equation.
YOU equated force with supernatural and god.

my claim, the supernatural, god, 'the force' as you call it is one in many perspectives one can take.

explain to me how god or supernatural = 0.

im talking about people giving one thing two different names.

so it's more of a language-based observation, not one rooted in physics. or math.

of course it can be discussed in those terms, but that's not what i'm talking about here.
you miss hte point
CarbonSystem
 
  1  
Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 02:16 pm
and in reference the original 54% v. 58% question.

if i and others were polled:

Do you believe in god?

Do you believe in any things supernatural?

My answer is yes to both.
It isn't one or the other for me.
0 Replies
 
Chumly
 
  1  
Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 02:21 pm
@CarbonSystem,
Nope, you equated force with supernatural and god thusly
CarbonSystem wrote:
many believe (myself included) that the supernatural and god are the same energy and force.
Now you want me to explain to you how god or supernatural = O? OK...there is no empirical evidence whatsoever for god or the supernatural, yet there is plenty of empirical evidence for F = MA.

Now, if you want to believe there is a giant bowel of intelligent Jello ruling the universe (or whatever other silly superstition you claim) go ahead, however such beliefs do not provide even an iota of empirical evidence.
CarbonSystem
 
  1  
Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:46 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

Nope, you equated force with supernatural and god thusly
CarbonSystem wrote:
many believe (myself included) that the supernatural and god are the same energy and force.
Now you want me to explain to you how god or supernatural = O? OK...there is no empirical evidence whatsoever for god or the supernatural, yet there is plenty of empirical evidence for F = MA.

Now, if you want to believe there is a giant bowel of intelligent Jello ruling the universe (or whatever other silly superstition you claim) go ahead, however such beliefs do not provide even an iota of empirical evidence.


Ok let's back up a few here.

Confusion lies in the fact that were talking about to different things when it comes to force. Semantics. The english language is good at confusing people.

I don't mean a thrust, push, or any force like that.
Now since it's apparent you think I believe in a spiritually-enhanced blob of jell-o, that you only aim to open the whole, god or no god question here on this thread.

There's not much else to say, except that there are hundreds of 'god existing vs not' threads on this forum. I suggest you take advantage of the search feature so you can find a better place.

I__
I belive in my post I was referencing the supernatural when talking about force.
Perhaps you need a refresher.
Main Entry: su·per·nat·u·ral
Pronunciation: \ˌsü-pər-ˈna-chə-rəl, -ˈnach-rəl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Medieval Latin supernaturalis, from Latin super- + natura nature
Date: 15th century
1 : of or relating to an order of existence beyond the visible observable universe; especially : of or relating to God or a god, demigod, spirit, or devil
2 a : departing from what is usual or normal especially so as to appear to transcend the laws of nature b : attributed to an invisible agent (as a ghost or spirit)
[link]http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/supernatural[/link]

Which basically says, IF it exists, it doesn't exist in a way we can observe it, and is beyond the order of nature, which science exists to observe.
0 Replies
 
Chumly
 
  1  
Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 10:27 pm
Making reference to F= MA had the element of tongue-in-cheek-ness.
CarbonSystem
 
  1  
Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 01:55 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

Making reference to F= MA had the element of tongue-in-cheek-ness.


That's not really the sentiment you argued with Chumply
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » UFOs, Aliens, Ghosts, Believed More Than God
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/23/2019 at 11:50:52