Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 05:53 am
we have an oil painting - and a bird has left a couple of "white" marks from droppings - how can I clean
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,875 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Gala

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 07:17 am
@jan dale,
a soft rag and some distilled water. spray a little on the surface let it soften up and gently wipe it off.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 07:17 am
@jan dale,
how does a bird **** on a painting?
sullyfish6

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 07:41 pm
Same way it gets on the side of my house - in flight
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 01:05 pm
@jan dale,
Gala is correct: pure water and gentleness is the key. Please don't use any solvents. I'd do the cleaning sooner rather than later, as bird **** may be acidic or contain chemicals unfriendly to oil paint.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 02:23 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

how does a bird **** on a painting?

I think we waited long enough for the punchline! So how does a bird **** on a painting?! Laughing

What a great premise for a joke. If anyone can think of a good punchline? Anyone?
Gala

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
How does a bird **** on a painting?

He takes it off the wall and puts it on the toilet seat. Then he rehangs it when done.

(that's the best I can do. it's a little weak, but i kind of like the image of him bothering to remove it and then rehang it)
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:05 pm
@Gala,
Kudoos (and a giggle or two) for trying! Smile
Gala

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 08:14 am
@tsarstepan,
Thank you, although, I'd like Ms. Dale to come forth and make the real explanation. I don't think she realizes how in suspense I am about it.
0 Replies

bobnlr

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2023 02:33 pm
with the help of a cat
0 Replies

longutkowski

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2023 11:52 am
In this situation, we could use a soft, dry brush or a soft cloth to remove it. Remember to be gentle and avoid rubbing too hard, as this could cause the paint to flake off. If there is still some residue left after brushing, you can dampen a soft cloth with a mild cleaning solution. Mix a few drops of mild dish soap with lukewarm water and use the damp cloth to gently dab at the affected area.
0 Replies

emaggio

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2023 01:25 pm
You can use a cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol (70% concentration) to gently dab the stained area. Isopropyl alcohol can help dissolve some stains, but using it sparingly and gently is important. And then dip a clean cotton swab in distilled water and gently rinse the area to remove any residue. Pat the area dry with a soft cloth or paper towel.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2023 02:02 pm
@emaggio,
Alcohol!!!! Synthetic spit is the recommended solvent!!!!
0 Replies