New to this forum

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 03:24 am
Hello all, New to this forum....

I am a artist, since I was a kid I knew this is what I have wanted to do, be an artist... In school, I never really paid attention, barely did any work, was constantly "different" from other children, because of my imagination…teachers would give me extra credit for the drawings I would do on my test… but no real encouragement… none that I can remember.
But throughout life, I have had many obstacles, that detoured me from my true passion. When I was a bit younger, living with roommates, my drawings were constantly stolen from me ( friends of roomates), at the time I was always upset about this, but now I look at it as a compliment. a lot of my art has been created for personal enjoyment, for family and friends…

I have gone without art for a few years now, until recently…I have started again, but this time I want to make a career at it… I knew it was my destiny, the constant burning within has always made me aware of my need to create…

I have always felt alone, meaning with the way I see things in life, often I will look and study an object for awhile, say a simple tree for instance, If the mood is there I will study the way the light reflects off of it, the way it can create new colors and patterns, I would find little images within the bark…everything provokes an emotion, a thought, a desire.

Anywho, I have been selling on ebay for a couple of weeks now, and everything has sold… Drawings and paintings… and I would like to thank all of you for the inspiration that you have all gave me, without knowing I was lurking in the shadows, watching your post, I have been constantly learning new things from most of you, you have all given me the strength to seek out my true passion, and for that I thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,343 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 05:27 am
seven04401 - Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

I find it so gratifying when I find that a word, a piece of advice, or an idea that a person has gotten from A2k, has been really helpful. Good luck with your art.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:37 pm
well done 7

it is never too late to go and study you know - I did my Foundation year at art school when i left school and then dropped out married, had family .... went back as a mature student when the girls were older and did my degree and loved it. it was stressful and hard work and a huge challenge but i learnt so much.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 12:03 am
Re: New to this forum
seven04401 wrote:
Anywho, I have been selling on ebay for a couple of weeks now, and everything has sold… Drawings and paintings… and I would like to thank all of you for the inspiration that you have all gave me, without knowing I was lurking in the shadows, watching your post, I have been constantly learning new things from most of you, you have all given me the strength to seek out my true passion, and for that I thank you.
That's really great to hear! Glad you decided to start posting, too ... I'm sure you're gonna be great to have around ... welcome aboard.

Oh, and now that your sale has been a success, get that commission check to A2K in the mail right away :wink:
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 02:16 am
We have a great group of artists and art historians and gallery types here at A2k. Your are going to be a welcome addition to our group. We have lots of fun both serious and not.
0 Replies

seven04401

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:44 am
Thank you all for your warm welcome... And I will have that commission check in the mail soon, lol

I am into surreal and abstract painting at the moment, mostly before I was your typical pencil and ink guy, but recently have discovered the joy of color... so many possibilities with painting!!

Question, what do you suggest is the best way for an artist to have his work shown in a gallery? how do I go about this, do I just show up with some work or should I get more exposer before I attempt it?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:47 am
Let us see some of your work.
0 Replies

seven04401

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:58 am
I just posted one, called lost... created with color pencils and ink... I guess the mods have to approve it before it is loaded completely... I will post more tonight...
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:13 am
E-bay, although a good start and enough to return the cost of supplies, usually doesn't pay enough to the artist. Experimentally, I listed a piece once that could command at least $150 in a gallery, on E-bay it only got $32. I have continued to sell work on e-bay that I would make more money by selling than painting over (worth more -b/c of cost of paper/canvas and supplies for me to sell it on e-bay than to paint over the existing painting). So, E-bay is a good start, but know that you can probably command more than what people on e-bay will pay, as they are out bargain hunting, looking for a good deal - and you're only marketing for about a week.

One advantage to e-bay is that most people don't know much about art, so some people can sell total junk they worked on for an hour for hundreds. Iv'e been tempted to do this, to cater to the market, but I wouldn't respect myself in the morning.

Glad to hear that the art forums have helped you. Keep posting, and good luck with your work.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:16 am
you'll get some useful feedback from the group here.

As for applying to galleries, prepare photographs/slides or digital images of some of your work (just a few,with prices) this with a cv, a statement about your work and a short covering letter to galleries that you think your work would fit in works. If they like it they will ask you to go in with originals. If they don't they'll return your work with a polite no as long as you enclose an sae for return.

Don't be cast down by rejections as not all galleries you think are suitable will be taking on new artists or like your work.

Keep going.

Make sure that this application pack is neat and professional looking, word processed and well set out.

If you have a website you can also email galleries giving your details very briefly and your website. I have had success with this.

In my experience galleries like to see a series of work on a theme rather than a bit of this and a bit of that.

I hope this is helpful - I'm sure others will add some good advice.

Oh and if there are any professional magzines for artists (in England it is Artists Newsletter) which has ads for jobs, galleries wanting new artists etc - you are not going in cold then as the WANT you to contact them
0 Replies

seven04401

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 03:39 pm
one of my drawings have been posted, please feel free to let me know what you think.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 05:29 pm
um, posted where? Link?
0 Replies

seven04401

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 04:55 am
oops, sorry... I posted it here at able2know... in the gallery..
0 Replies