Playability/compatability of Thief: Deadly Shadows (2004) on laptops?

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 11:59 am
Does anyone know if the PC game is still unplayable on laptops? Was browsing the games on Steam and there still is that caveat ...

Quote:
Thief: Deadly Shadows does not support play on laptop computers.

The game came out in 2004 with some bizarre complex hardware issues that made it unstable on laptops at that time. I'm wondering if anyone knows if those issues have been surpassed by the later generation of gaming notebooks.

I have a Dell XPS m1730; Intel 2Duo T8300 2.4GHz, with 2GB RAM. Windows Vista Premium, Service Pack 2.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,542 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 12:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
Usually the limitation is the graphics card, which few laptops have. I've found a few sites saying that these are the minimum requirements (double ram and video memory for recommended) for the game:

Quote:
* IBM PC or 100% compatible
* Windows 2000 or Windows XP (95/98/ME/NT/VISTA not supported)
* Intel Pentium IV 1.5 GHz (or AMD Athlon XP equivalent)
* 256 MB system memory
* 64 MB video memory, Direct3D 9.0, and Pixel Shader 1.1 (Cards based on the NVIDIA GeForce4 MX chips are not supported)
* 100% DirectSound 9 compatible sound card
* 3GB free hard disk space
* Keyboard and mouse

Specific supported video cards were named as:

Quote:
ATI Radeon 8500, ATI Radeon 9 Series (9000, 9200, 9600, 9800), Nvidia GF3 Ti series, Nvidia GF4 Ti series, Nvidia GF FX series, Nvidia GF 6 series.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 12:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Everywhere that condition is mentioned, its really vague on the why. Even at the Eidos Software site, there is a contemporary generic warning/disclaimer not just for the game of Thief: Deadly Shadows, but for all of its software games it produces and distributes, despite the advances in gaming designed specific laptops.

So if its a question of graphic card compatibility? With the game being so relatively old and my computer being such a moderately powerhouse gaming computer, then there most likely not an issue right now. I'm just worried that it actually maybe some kind of undisclosed DRM trick or another type of hardware issue.

Yeah, I realize if I bought the game and it didn't lose, I'd only be out a mere $20 + tax, I'd rather not waste the money on a game I can never use.
Robert Gentel
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 01:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Everywhere that condition is mentioned, its really vague on the why. Even at the Eidos Software site, there is a contemporary generic warning/disclaimer not just for the game of Thief: Deadly Shadows, but for all of its software games it produces and distributes, despite the advances in gaming designed specific laptops.

The advances of the graphics card can sometimes make the games unplayable if they don't provide backwards compatibility with older graphics engines. Basically, the software is programmed to use specific APIs such as Direct3D 9 and Pixel Shader.

Despite the advances in laptops, your graphics card might just not support the specific graphics APIs that they use. The only way I know around it (other than making sure to get a compatible graphics card) is to use software emulation to replicate the functionality. Here's an example from a tutorial on how to get another game that requires PixelShader working:

http://reabo.co.uk/_tutorials/legostarwarsproblem.aspx

Quote:
So if its a question of graphic card compatibility? With the game being so relatively old and my computer being such a moderately powerhouse gaming computer, then there most likely not an issue right now.

In this case it doesn't seem like the overall resource requirements are the limitation, so that your gaming rig is powerful doesn't necessarily meet the requirements. It really does come down to whether you have a graphics card with at least 64mb of memory (and if you have one at all it will usually have one) and if said graphics card supports Direct3D 9.0,and Pixel Shader 1.1.

I think that those two items are the only graphics card concerns but I noticed you said you are running Vista, and I've seen several sites say that this game doesn't run on Vista (not sure if using an XP compatibility mode on Vista would fix that).

Quote:
I'm just worried that it actually maybe some kind of undisclosed DRM trick or another type of hardware issue.

I don't think it's DRM myself, but that is always a potential headache with games so I'm not going to vouch for it. But it looks like it only supports XP for some reason.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 02:26 am
@Robert Gentel,
I'll just skip the game and hope when Thief 4 comes out, I can play it without any issues of instability or confusion over any carried over story plots.

I also seen that this particular sequel isn't as cracked up (quality wise) as the first two games. Buggy and slow due to the porting of the game from the XBox (a first for the notable franchise).

What else can I say other then C'est le jeu! Thanks for the straight laced answers Mr. Gentel. Smile
0 Replies