How would you deal with hair loss?

Reyn

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 01:05 pm
If you had varying degrees of hair loss, how would you deal with it? This could be for men or women, where there are bald patches, receding hair, or just hair that's thinning.

Would you:
a) Wear a cap, scarve, bandana, etc?
b) Do a comb over?
c) Get a short haircut?
d) Get a wig?
e) Get a transplant?
f) Or?

Okay, so I'll go first. If I was losing my hair, I would decide to keep my hair quite short. I already have a fairly short cut, but probably would do more so.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 35 • Views: 7,274 • Replies: 59
Topic Closed

ehBeth

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 01:13 pm
@Reyn,
probably a short short short cut

I had my head shaved for my 30th birthday, so I know there's nothing to fear there.
edgarblythe

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 01:26 pm
See avatar.
ebrown p

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 01:53 pm
@Reyn,
None of the above.

Of all my personal defects, my thinning hair is the one that worries me the least.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 01:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

See avatar.

Ditto.

I've got used to it since all started already 40 years ago ...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 03:44 pm
I'd probably just kill myself.
0 Replies

Reyn

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 03:46 pm
Yeah, amongst the choices available I think the most unflattering ones are the comb over. My father-in-law does that, and puts a cap on his head. It does nothing for him.

Now, in the wig department, there are fairly good ones, and then there are the berber carpets. You know the ones I mean.

http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20080912/293.wentz.pete.091208.jpg

http://www.halloweenscene.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/50784%20mens%20wig%20grey.jpg

I don't know much about transplants, or the newer laser treatments, but I'm sure they're expensive.

Either way, I still would opt for the short cut.
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 03:50 pm
@Reyn,
Get it cut really, really short. And get a stud in my ear to celebrate the occasion! Very Happy

Anything but do the "comb over" thing over the bald spot/s! Razz
Reyn

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 03:53 pm
@msolga,
Do you think hair loss is harder (emotionally) for a woman than a man?

I'm not sure on this, but would probably depend on the individual and their particular situation.

Apparently, hair thinning for older women isn't too uncommon.

Do you think it is generally easier for a woman to disguise hair loss, seeing that most women's hair is longer than men's?
msolga

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:01 pm
@Reyn,
Quote:
Do you think hair loss is harder for a woman than a man?

Hmmm, possibly so, Reyn. Though there might be men who see it differently!

Quote:
Apparently, hair thinning for older women isn't too uncommon.

It is, but I don't know of too many women who've become completely bald, or have actual bald patches.

Quote:
Do you think it is generally easier for a woman to disguise hair loss, seeing that most women's hair is longer than men's?

I really don't know, perhaps because women who've actually lost their hair have disguised it so well! Wink
Butrflynet

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:08 pm
I'd been losing a lot of my hair post menopause/pre-hysterectomy. I had to cut my hair short to help deal with the mounds of long hair the vacuum was successfully choking itself with. Also started buying Liquid Plumber by the case and using it once a week to keep the shower drains from clogging up with hair.

Luckily, my hair is so thick that the loss isn't yet visible to others. The rate of loss seems to have slown down in the last year or two so it is easier for the vacuum and drains to deal with.

As far as the vanity part of it, it is no skin off my head. I shaved my head completely bald when I was in my 20's and know that I have a nicely shaped head.
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:09 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Get it cut really, really short. And get a stud in my ear to celebrate the occasion! Very Happy

Anything but do the "comb over" thing over the bald spot/s! Razz

I meant if a was a man. But I guess it's not a bad solution for women as well!
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:09 pm
@Reyn,
Id go and shave my head and do a Mr Clean look.
chai2

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:20 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Do you think hair loss is harder (emotionally) for a woman than a man?

I'm not sure on this, but would probably depend on the individual and their particular situation.

Funny, I was having this very conversation with my husband last night. One of those siller Hair Club for Men commercials was on, and I was saying that I thought most of those guys looked fine without hair, and the hair restoration didn't make them look any better.

Then I said that I guess most women really can identify with the emotional aspect some men go through if they go bald, any more than a man can really identify with what it's like to go through menapause.

If I lost my hair, I'd wear hats or scarves on my head.

Reyn

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:22 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
I really don't know, perhaps because women who've actually lost their hair have disguised it so well! Wink

Yes, I'm sure you're right!

Butrflynet wrote:
Also started buying Liquid Plumber by the case and using it once a week to keep the shower drains from clogging up with hair.

If I could pass on a small tip, here we have available sink / tub strainers that will catch your hair that comes out. They're a snap to clean. They simply fit right into the drain.

They look like this:
http://di1.shopping.com/images/di/6d/6e/37/54493966704532596d616957536b324a384f41-80x80-0-0.jpg
Butrflynet

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:34 pm
@Reyn,
The apartment I was in at the time didn't have that kind of drain opening. It had one of those in the drain stopper mechanisms that was controlled by a lever. The only way I found to keep hair from going down the drain as much as it was, was to stuff pieces of scouring pads in the drain to collect the hair yet still allow water flow down the drain.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:36 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Id go and shave my head and do a Mr Clean look.

That's actually a fairly high-maintenance 'do. You get stubble quickly, and it scrapes across the pillow. Wasn't comfortable for me.

I started going bald at 25. I've finally settled on short-but-not-shaved. I trim it to an eighth of an inch about once a week.
Reyn

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 06:33 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
[...] One of those siller Hair Club for Men commercials was on, and I was saying that I thought most of those guys looked fine without hair, and the hair restoration didn't make them look any better. [...]

Have you seen these hair restoration ads using a laser method? Do you know if this stuff actually works? It seems a little "fraud-like".

DrewDad wrote:
[...] I started going bald at 25. I've finally settled on short-but-not-shaved. I trim it to an eighth of an inch about once a week.

Funny you say that. I often wondered about the follow-up work. It would be just like shaving one's face.

For economic reasons, I have a short haircut (having a razor with a 1/2 inch attachment) every so often to make it last.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 09:45 pm
I'm 26, and I'm amazed at how many of my peers are balding. I have good hair genes in terms of keeping my hair, but I will go silver.

If I was balding though, I'd shave my head. I don't really like the shape of my head, but it don't like the skullet look at all.

T
K
O
ossobuco

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 10:42 pm
@Diest TKO,
As it happens, tko, I've had some japanese mentors. Well, one from japan, and one a los angelino connected to a bracero family. Both had great hair. Also we had a famous sort of (edits) associate who had, as I remember it, thief tendencies. Oh, and another guy of japanese extraction.

When I presented my thesis, what a mess. I punted from the first association, the main guy was mad, simply mad, in my then opinion. Odd that I forget his name. I think so even now, as he'd have tried to organize venice into constricted grids. But wait, he was a planner. I got past all that.. and worked up a second committee.

So, never mind, what about the hair? My key pals have great hair. Silver now.

This all reminds me of a certain pr type of guy that I ran into at the hardware store.