How would you deal with hair loss?

Diest TKO

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 11:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, I'm looking forward to silver. My grandfather looks badass.

T
K
Cool
ossobuco

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 11:08 pm
@Diest TKO,
Yeh, they all look good, even the baddie.

I can't remember, heh, if I directed you to look at your NY thread. If I did, this will be repetitive.
0 Replies

Wilso

Mon 21 Sep, 2009 12:10 am
I keep mine down to stubble most of the time and the rest of the time the "clean look". In summer I quite often wear a bandana, mainly to protect against sun burn.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 21 Sep, 2009 07:27 am
How would you deal with hair loss?

I would dance and sing. One of the great things about aging is that i am less oppressed by the thick pad of wool on top of my benighted pate.
0 Replies

Mame

Mon 21 Sep, 2009 09:01 am
Two of my sisters suffer from thinning hair. At first they bought this stuff you shake on your head - some kind of tiny fibres. It clings to your scalp, filling in the balding spots and makes your hair look fuller. Then one sister went to a hair loss place and bought a scalp massager and some of their products. She swears she has new growth. According to the company, not everyone is a candidate for this procedure. It depends on when and how you started losing hair.

I dated a lawyer (who was very vain) who did some transplants, oh, some 25 years ago. At the time, he looked ridiculous because of the pattern they used for the transplanted hair (a semi-circle). They used follicles from the back of his head. I have no idea what he looks like now. It was quite a process then, involving 3 weeks min. of recovery time, but I'm sure things have improved greatly since then, and perhaps come down in price. I say, if you're self-conscious about it, do whatever you need to.

If I were losing my hair, I'd do the transplant thing if my sister's method didn't work for me... I definitely would not want a wig to deal with.

The comb-over is the most ludicrous way to deal with a bald pate. What do a few strands of hair accomplish? Nothing! And they look ridiculous hanging down in a wind Smile
0 Replies

Gargamel

Mon 21 Sep, 2009 09:08 am
I would color in the bald spots with a washable marker. In my case, an orange marker. On hot summer days when I sweat it would be an inconvenience to have ornage rivulets streaming, Tammy Faye style, down my face. But that's the price I would have to pay to keep looking young and ridiculously sexy most of the time.

In a more severe case, where the majority of my hair has fallen out, I would get a tattoo of a full head of hair where my real hair used to be.

Problem solved.
0 Replies

Eorl

Tue 22 Sep, 2009 09:00 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

farmerman wrote:

Id go and shave my head and do a Mr Clean look.

That's actually a fairly high-maintenance 'do. You get stubble quickly, and it scrapes across the pillow. Wasn't comfortable for me.

I started going bald at 25. I've finally settled on short-but-not-shaved. I trim it to an eighth of an inch about once a week.

Agreed. I'm trying to keep up the shaving, but I'm too lazy. It's surprisingly tricky.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:57 pm
@Diest TKO,
Even the transition phase is nice, the salt and pepper thing. Cool...
That gives me a photography idea, to gather some photos of those guys. First I'd have to remember the 'evil' mentor's name, and the publicity seeking/sort-of-thief's name. (Consider these descriptions exaggerated.) I'd end up with a display that I couldn't show online, since that would be invasive. But it might amuse me, all that great hair...

On women - I had a client in northern californa who had alopecia. I think it was tough for her, though we never got around to talking about it. Her hair was both dull and missing in some pretty good sized patches.

My own hair is thinning, but like butrflynet's, it was thick to start with. I have other friends who are dealing with elder hair loss by... yes, haircutting.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 10:00 pm
@Reyn,
I have slightly thinning hair. I have resigned to the fact that as of right now, nothing can be down to slow it. Most of the time, I never give it a thought. But on the lowest of days, it can be a thorn in the noggin.

Being frugal, the short hair cut seems to be the most practical and the aesthetically best compromise of the options.
ossobuco

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 10:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Short hair good, as long as you don't do that bangs forward thing.
Sglass

Fri 25 Sep, 2009 05:08 am
Reyne remember Yul Brenner in the King and I? That's a great look.
tsarstepan

Fri 25 Sep, 2009 09:35 am
@ossobuco,
Yeah. The infamous combover? That's kind of counterproductive isn't it?
0 Replies

Reyn

Fri 25 Sep, 2009 11:21 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Being frugal, the short hair cut seems to be the most practical and the aesthetically best compromise of the options.

Yes, agreed!

Welcome to A2K, by the way!

Sglass wrote:
Reyne remember Yul Brenner in the King and I? That's a great look.

I think it can work for those who have a great shaped head, and don't mind the maintenance of keeping it shaved.

For me though, I find facial hair shaving a bit of a pain, and try to do it every 2nd day, if I can get away with it. Laughing
Chumly

Sat 26 Sep, 2009 09:28 pm
The comb-over is the most practical and the aesthetically best compromise of the options.http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt77/Chumly_01/Combover_patent.jpg
ossobuco

Sat 26 Sep, 2009 09:42 pm
I do admit to being out of my mind for a balding guy once. I would start to turn red if I saw him, and I was no longer all so young or innocent then, just in tharn.

As we all could predict, we did date, but he turned out to be boring in my then opinion, and the hots just dissipated, whoosh, probably for both of us. Hair, no hair, who cares.. I don't think I was better than him or he than me, though he was at a much higher university job level. Just no there, there.

It's the there that counts.
0 Replies

Wilso

Sun 27 Sep, 2009 04:16 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

I think it can work for those who have a great shaped head, and don't mind the maintenance of keeping it shaved.

Thank god I met my wife before I lost mine then. I was no great picture when I had a full head of hair. Now I'm downright hideous.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Sun 27 Sep, 2009 11:25 am
@Sglass,

I remember seeing that movie as a teen and thinking that man was hot. ha.
"Etc. Etc. Etc."

If I lose my hair, I think I'll go for elaborate wigs and hats. Scarves. The more eccentric look.

0 Replies

Reyn

Sun 27 Sep, 2009 02:50 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
The comb-over is the most practical and the aesthetically best compromise of the options.

Hmm, what happens in a gale force wind though? Plaster the hair down with carpenter glue? Laughing

mushypancakes wrote:
If I lose my hair, I think I'll go for elaborate wigs and hats. Scarves. The more eccentric look.

You mean like this:

http://www.trendhunter.com/images/phpthumbnails/49939_8_468.jpeg

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

kris1981

Sun 17 Jan, 2010 12:18 pm
@Reyn,
Well i'm having hair loss since 7-8 year and i leave it this way. I never heard negative things about it. Sometimes a joke from friends but thats all Smile
0 Replies

Nixx

Fri 24 Sep, 2010 01:45 am
.. Tip from me! try the Matthew Gardsons method ONLY! I am still hopeful I will fully recover