A2K: One of the best sites to get answers to questions

Reyn

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 04:03 pm
According to THIS SITE, Able2Know is on the list for one of the best sites on the internet to get answers to your questions:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h246/Reyn2244/a2k.gif

I've found myself, that over the years, I've learned many things here that I may not have gotten answers to elsewhere.

Sometimes it's very difficult to get the search parameters just right to find an answer to one's question. So, it's great when someone on A2K can give you a good answer!

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 04:14 pm
@Reyn,
Geez, that was not the most successful thread to have as an example, heh. But, good that a2k is getting attention for question answering.

People here have often answered my questions usefully, though usually I throw them out as a discussion, and sometimes throw them out within a discussion. More often, I absorb information I hadn't yet worked up a question about.
kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 04:22 pm
I think all the answers I've ever gotten from this site have been wrong, wrong, wrong! I could have been a rocket scientist, but no, I listened to the advice of you damn people"post more crap, Kicky, start more threads about boobs, Kicky, we love it when you talk about your balls, Kicky"now here I am, several years later, and instead of a degree in Physics, all I've got to show for my time here is a bunch of threads about boobs, bodily functions, and the grooming and maintenance of my own balls. Thanks a lot A2K!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 04:28 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Geez, that was not the most successful thread to have as an example, heh.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, but, I guess it's the thought that counts! Laughing

kickycan wrote:

I think all the answers I've ever gotten from this site have been wrong, wrong, wrong! I could have been a rocket scientist, but no, I listened to the advice of you damn people"post more crap, Kicky [...]

Did we really say that? Shocked

I feel so horrible about what has happened to you! How can we make it up?

I suppose instead of going to the Sarah Palin thing, we could send you to rocket scientist school.

Yeah, that's it! Laughing
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 04:42 pm
How completely cool is that?

<applauds for Robert>
roger

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 05:02 pm
@boomerang,
Maybe we should have a look at the competition. The bar may not be set what you would call extremely high.
Dutchy

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 06:26 pm
@Reyn,
Thanks for the link Reyn, may come in handy and kudo's to the genius running this site!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 06:29 pm
@Dutchy,
That's for sure..
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 09:05 pm
and we still can't find Ellpus!?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 09:14 pm
@margo,
That was the thread I started, and I figure rests within a few a2k threads.
I have been quieted, as in someone knew more than I did and I remain in a state of wonder.

******* annoying, of course.

But wait, this is all about what is the best site for questions.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 09:24 pm
@Reyn,
OMG, what a disaster! Do we really want word getting 'round to all the retardates looking to have someone else do their homework? Do we want A2k becoming so popular you have difficulty getting onto the site? While it was just between you'n'me and a couple of hunnert others, this was a swell site. The publicity could absolutely ruin it!
roger

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 09:29 pm
@Merry Andrew,
You suppose someone's taking a class in Rainsoft Regeneration Valves?
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 01:46 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

You suppose someone's taking a class in Rainsoft Regeneration Valves?

Either that or they all work for Lovatt's crossword mags.

A recurring nightmare for me is that at some point A2k will become just another facebook.
roger

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 01:57 am
@Merry Andrew,
You know, I don't mind the crossword puzzle questions. They ask, they get an answer, and they quietly recede into the swamp of old posts. The very long running word games get thumbed. The water softener questions keep coming back to life.
Letty

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 05:55 am
@roger,
Well, Rog, one certainly does NOT want to ask any "dumb questions" or we may end up like Emily Dickinson and her feelings about The Snake.

note the zero part.

Snake
by Emily Dickinson

A narrow fellow in the grass
Occasionally rides;
You may have met him, -did you not?
His notice sudden is.

The grass divides as with a comb,
A spotted shaft is seen;
And then it closes at your feet
And opens further on.

He likes a boggy acre,
A floor too cool for corn.
Yet when a child, and barefoot,
I more than once, at morn,

Have passed, I thought, a whip-lash
Unbraiding in the sun, -
When, stooping to secure it,
It wrinkled, and was gone.

Several of nature's people
I know, and they know me;
I feel for them a transport
Of cordiality;

But never met this fellow,
Attended or alone,
Without a tighter breathing,
And zero at the bone.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 12:09 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Maybe we should have a look at the competition. The bar may not be set what you would call extremely high.

This is pretty close to how I feel about it. If you make a list of the ten biggest websites in this niche we will often make the cut. That's all these bloggers bother to put into it when they make these "best of" lists and we are on dozens of them. They just go find the biggest sites and list them for their readers, and most of the time don't bother to test the sites themselves.

So it's really just "one of the larger sites to get answers to questions" and in that metric we are so far behind something like Yahoo answers that it is not hugely flattering.

There used to be a time where we were competitive for the top spot in traffic, but Yahoo answers being part of what was the biggest internet site at the time really changed that landscape and has done very well for itself in the Q&A niche.

Thing is, I just don't see ourselves in competition with Yahoo answers at all. If you try both you'll see that the offering is very very different, from the format to the demographics (Yahoo answers is a lot more teenybopper for example).
0 Replies