House Painting? Paint?

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:48 pm
Ok well I have an old villa (1900's) and the exterior is weather board. Now half the paint is peeling off or cracked and this old house needs to be painted.....can I go the easy way and just sand then paint? Or the hard way and remove all the paint back to bare wood then paint?........yuk.

Also the paint - would you recommend to use a self primer paint, as I have no clue if it is good or that it will wear well or do I have to go the long winded way and 'prime' then paint?

Any advice would be welcome, thanks guys.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,361 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:53 pm
You don't have to sand it bare, just sand it to get some bite and scrap off all the loose stuff. It's always a good idea to use primer. especially if you didn't paint it before, or you aren't sure what the previous paint was, oil or latex.
Never paint a latex paint over oil. It you want to use a latex, make sure you buy the appropriate primer.
However, if the paint is fairly fresh and you know what it is, you can get away without using the primer.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 05:49 am
You can scrape, but it better be done well, like with a wheel.

I would prime it, and use oil based paint.

Ask the people at the paint store dept.

They know what they are doing.

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 09:21 am
You can rent a power spray gun to paint the outside, just cover up want you don't want painted and rent a power washer too.
KiwiChic

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:12 pm
@Ceili,
I'm just being lazy and want to get a quick but hardy result........I think I will just scrape with a burner then sand.......and coat with the pre primed paint. Shop assistants here are useless, so pointless asking them for any advice they automatically go to the most expensive items that you don't really need and swear that's what you need.

thanks guys, there must be hardly any painters on A2K lol
Rockhead

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:17 pm
@KiwiChic,
i'm not a pro, but i done some painting. (and made paint long ago, but...)

i would do as you say, but prime any bare wood with a good solo primer first, at the least.

actually, i'm kinda a perfectionist and would prime it and then paint it, but you don't wanna hear that, so.

anyways.

good luck, and don't get it on your cat, they are really tough to get clean.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 05:20 pm
Scrape just the loose stuff. Sand just to scuff. Caulk and patch.
Exterior primer, one coat. Exterior wall paint, two coats.
Do not buy self-priming paint. Do not buy paint at Home Depot or Lowes. Go to a paint store that only sells paint. Ask them for advice. I recommend Ben Moore.
Painting the outside of a house is not where you want to skimp or be lazy. You'll only be wasting time and money if you don't do it right.
Eva

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 05:30 pm
@caribou,
That's the way the pros do it, caribou. Scrape the loose stuff, sand slightly, caulk, prime and paint. Two coats. "Preparation is 9/10ths of the job," they say. "If it's not prepped right, the paint job won't last no matter how good it looks."

My pet peeve: don't use latex paint on windows and doors. It stains easily, and it peels off the first time it gets dinged.
Professional Painter

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 12:05 pm
I am a professional painter in Washington DC. I'm happy to help with your house painting question.

Before you scrape anything on a home as old as yours you should find out if you have a lead paint hazzard. Unless you have documentation that the home was abated of all the lead at some point, I would assume there is lead paint there. To be sure you could have it professionally tested. Lead paint really becomes harmful if it is in dust form. So do not scrape or sand. Become familiar with what is likely present. Please take it seriously, especially if you have children. I would encourage you to at least read the following phamphlet on the epa website. Any contractor who wants to perform work in your home is actually supposed to give this to you; many don't.
http://www.epa.gov/region09/toxic/lead/renovate-right.html
Brochure is called "Renovate right" I believe the page above has a link to it.

Consider having a professional trained to work safely around lead paint at least do the preparation work for you.

Happy to help if you have further questions.
Steve Fountaine
Premiere Painting,
http://www.premiere-painting.com/residentialExteriorPainting.php

0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 12:17 pm
@Eva,
Eva, I am vaguely a "pro" since I've physically have done this plenty of times.

I agree with all that you said except the latex paint. Latex paint has changed a lot. And in areas where the weather temps change dramatically, it stands up better than oil. Oil can start to peel.

Always use good quality paint made for the job you are doing.

0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 02:25 pm
Not too sure what Latex paint is? is that an oil based paint? if so we don't use oil based paint on house exteriors down here, its all water based. Good point regarding the old lead paint though. Thanks guys.
0 Replies