helmutw

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:20 pm
What do you think about the proposed future Harmonization tax next year in British Columbia?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,169 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:32 am
@helmutw,
Hi, welcome to A2K!

I'm a BC resident, and I think it stinks.

Just yesterday, I paid a large vet bill, and with the extra 7% (to cover the PST), as part of the new HST, the bill would have been an additional $30, bringing the total up to nearly $52!

Presently, vet care is only taxed with GST and is PST exempt.

So, I'm not very happy about it at all. This is just one small example how many folks will have to dig deeper into their pockets to pay more for what they already get for less.

If this tax absolutely must be implemented, I would have liked to see our PST lowered from 7% to 5%, to make the total of the new HST 10%. It still sucks, but would be slightly more palatable.

If you remember, the federal GST was 7 or 7.5% (?) at one time, and at least they were smart enough to lower it to 5% some time back.

The one good thing (I guess) is that I've heard Campbell say that there would be rebates on the HST on electricity costs. I would like the same for natural gas, myself.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 12:19 pm
Reyn I think heating is the only thing that is exempt.

This is the second new tax in as many years. I'm pissed. They cancelled the green line, are screwing with health care and education, and lottery money that should back into the communities is being denied to charities.
I hope the next government pays us back from the Olympic royalties.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 12:23 pm
@helmutw,
Saw that headline and thought the thread was going to be about former U.S. President Harry S. Truman who was frequently referred to as HST in newspaper headlines. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 12:30 pm
That's exactly what first occurred to me, which is why i tagged it to identify it as a Canadian political topic . . .
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:07 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Reyn I think heating is the only thing that is exempt.

Yes, it seems you are correct, although there is some confusion whether this will involve electricity and natural gas, as you can see from the below quote. Also, what if one has natural gas, and doesn't use it for heating? Does one have to prove what one is heating with?

Here is a small quote from THIS ARTICLE:

Quote:
The 12 per cent HST sting is eased a bit by an exemption for home heating energy, so no hike for natural gas or electricity bills, although it’s not clear if the latter applies to those who don’t use electric heat.

And again HERE from a BC Gov't website.

Quote:
We will also provide a provincially-administered point-of-sale rebate for residential energy.

So, as I mentioned above, will it be up to the homeowner to prove what they are heating with?

For example, our home is heated with natural gas, but we also have gas hot water tank. How do I separate out the tax portion used for the home heating, as opposed to the water heating? Or, does it matter?

If one has electical heating, what about the portion of the bill for lighting?

At this point, lots more info is needed on this subject.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:24 pm
Your still using the gas to heat water and food. I'm going to hook up the BBQ too. There is no way they can decipher how much gas is used for what. Just can't be done.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:28 pm
@helmutw,
I'm glad I don't live there anymore. I moved to AB and this January the govt made the basic health care free. The govt is not that great, but at least they don't tax you to death the way BC does. It really irritated me when they kept increasing/adding another gasoline tax in the Lower Mainland so you get cheaper gas everywhere in the rest of the province. And I don't understand why Lower Mainlanders have to do air care but nowhere else is it required in that blinking province. Kelowna as worse smog than Vancouver, for Pete's sake.

I didn't vote for Campbell for premier or mayor and I always thought his government was pompous and arrogant. I hope you guys vote the bums out. You gotta wonder, too, at all the high profile people who've quit his govt.
Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:35 pm
I just moved here, you'll learn to hate the Alberta tories too. They've been in power so long, they've forgotten what it's like not to be the old boys club. They are equally as arrogant. They've just got oil, lots of it, and they aren't too concerned with being in big oils pocket either.
This province is just one bad government deal after another. They can't seem to keep their books or their convictions together. Has there ever been an uncrooked BC politician?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 04:19 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I'm glad I don't live there anymore. I moved to AB and this January [...]

I remember that day well. It was a very sad one. Sad

But we're still hoping for your return one day! Laughing

By the way, what happened to the Yukon? I thought you were there, at the moment? Or, is that done now?

Ceili wrote:

I just moved here, you'll learn to hate the Alberta tories too. [...]

I think you mentioned that you moved here from Alberta?

Or, are you really Mame in disguise, making us think you moved to Alberta? Laughing Laughing

Anyways, the more from BC on this site, the better!

I still think of Mame as a BCer anyways! Wink

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 08:54 pm
Will you vote to support the HST in the forthcoming B.C. referendum?

Yes
No
Reyn

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 09:06 pm
@panzade,
It isn't forthcoming. It's started and ongoing until Aug 5th, via a mail-in ballot.

My wife and I thought hard about the current situation, and we voted 'no' - to keep the HST.

It's 'yes' to extinguish the HST, and 'no' to keep it. Well thought out ballot, huh?

Why? Because in 2014, it will be lowered to 10% from 12% (in 2 stages). Also, because our income is low enough to get a near full rebate.

Did we sell out? Yeah, I guess from some folks point of view, but we've got to look out for us, because no one else is.
panzade

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 09:55 pm
@Reyn,
I would vote no too...anyways, I just got back from BC and it's all I heard about on the radio.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 06:33 am
@Reyn,
Smile I think of myself as a BC-er, too. Lots of people here think the majority of Vancouverites are Gay, can you believe that? lol

I will NEVER be an Albertan - never! If I had to move to another province, it'd probably be Ontario, where my grandkids are. Or I'd move back to the Island - that'd be my first choice.

I certainly don't miss Vancouver.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 06:36 am
Both the Tory and the New Democrat hopefuls in the provincial election have promised to reduce the HST, or remove it from selected purchases--neither of them has said anything about getting rid of it.
0 Replies