Half bath remodel

Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:18 am
@ossobuco,
Yeah you did summarize our look pretty well.

I was thinking of something like this:
http://www.kitchensource.com/im/amd-bf2003-s3.jpg

Not necessarily this color or exact style - but something like that. Yeah it may not fit behind the door. How about some sort of stand alone cabinet that matches the bathroom and style - I've seen some of them in pictures.

I agree those bowl sort of sinks - I usually think the same things - how long will these be in style. But I also thought if it gives the wow factor - does it matter as we will be gone if/when it falls out of style. Do other buyers think that?
Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:36 am
@jespah,
It is a well used half bath - but made more for company. It is not near any of the entrances so unlikely to have use as a "mud room". If anything, we use the nearby laundry room for stuff like that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:42 am
@Linkat,
Thhat cabinet is a nice cl;ean look. So much like painted Shaker style.

Price and Pfister makes a good product.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:59 am
@Linkat,
I like that cabinet & shelf thing..

I suppose I wonder how much people routinely open their bathroom doors (often there are whachacallems, those stoppers that one screws into the baseboard to keep the doorknob from mashing into the wall.. so the cabinet may only be an inch or two more into the room than that. Still, I'd probably not put it there..

Trying to picture the room..
towel hooks or rods behind and past the door? shallow cabinet over the toilet or to the side of it if room? I've got paintings in front of both my bathrooms' toilets, perhaps an odd thing to do but they're something to look at while posing as a Rodin sculpture. My business partner's home's main bath had a set of smallish paintings (oh, say, 12 x 16") in a line across the wall which didn't have room for a cabinet on or in front of it. That room was painted a not too dark but pretty color and looked great.

What's on the wall at the end? (wish I'd learn to draw online..)
Wondering if there would be room for a tall narrow shallow set of shelves..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:11 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
Dunno if a vessel sink would qualify for too personalized. I find them odd, but that's me.

Vessel sinks are definitely an either you love it/hate it thing. They're certainly popular - you can find them at Home Depot/Lowes, that sort of place so they're pretty mainstream-verging-on-on-the-way-out. They were a "statement" in design here about 15 years ago.

Given the requirements in terms of future sale, something like the nice Shaker-style piece is good as its nice and neutral - will go with traditional styles as well as very modern design aesthetics.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:20 pm
Just a thought about those vessel sinks -- bad idea if they're glass and you've got hard water.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 02:50 pm
Here's one that's not bad. Not expensive, either. I really like the metal sink.

http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/dlv/dlv1219_m.jpg

Oh, one other detail. The newest look is to mix wood tones. So if your floors and trim are a different wood finish, it's good.

I wouldn't be worried about anything being too trendy. If you're wanting to sell fairly soon, that's actually a bonus.

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 02:57 pm
@Eva,
Looks cool. The only other thing I used to do in selecting any piece that was slightly askew from what our house "wanted" the pieces to be, was to envision how it would look after the kids got done in that bathroom.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:13 pm
@Eva,
Oooh I like that - and it takes care of the problem about storage - that is about all I would really need for that room. It has a nice clean look.

Now what about tile for the floor. Right now we have more of a shiny type, but I like the more stone looking tile. We put something like that in the kitchen and it looks great.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:15 pm
@Linkat,
That sink thingamajig is fine enough with me too and it does kill two birds, while leaving an uncluttered look.
Would the exact kitchen tile work?
Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Hmm good thought and we may have some left too. I'll have to take a lookie. Never thought of it for the bathroom. Maybe if it matches what we put in - we did also put a black type of granite in the kitchen recently and it looks great with the tile so it may look good with that sink and thingmay
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:26 pm
@Linkat,
Now you're cookin'...
0 Replies