What qualifies a man to talk about an issue like feminism?

aidan

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 09:42 am
@Diest TKO,
I said:
Quote:
And does that mean I'm not a feminist- because I don't automatically think this woman should have been able to cope as well as a male in this situation?

Diest answered
Quote:

I'm not going to insist that you are or are not anything. If you aren't into the title, what would be the point of trying to put it on you?

I was asking myself that...this internet communication thing is so tricky. No, I don't think you've put any title on me - how can you - you've never met me.

I was asking myself that question because I found it interesting to think about.

I still ask myself questions all the time...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 10:09 am
@aidan,
Quote:
So now a man is here to tell us what we SHOULD be discussing and what we ARE most interested in and what sort of work we DO find demeaning.

No I'm not. I'm telling you what you would be discussing if you weren't so molly-coddled and didn't take harvests and consumer durables for granted. And they weren't taken for granted by the majority 100 years ago here and nor are they by the majority of the world's population now.

Feminism began as an upper middle-class phenomenom and is now a lower middle class one. It is a function of boredom which stems from the molly coddling which everybody seems to assume is natural. It is not intended to release the world's females from drudgery. Perish the thought. Feminism is an affectation from a motive of self interest.

The statment quoted above is typical of a way of discussing things which is common in our world and strikingly so on this site. It confuses facts with opinions. I state a fact, it is declared an opinion and then I'm attacked with insulting assertions to discredit my opinion and the fact of the fact is on Ignore and a fond belief grows up that the unsuitable fact is discredited. Subjectivity in nutcase mode. Shoot the messenger. Like some scientific critical thinkers have done on the evolution threads. How can an opinion frighten anybody over 10 enough to resort to the Ignore button? That's ridiculous. It is the facts that are ignored.

According to the Darwinists I am an animal. Born in evolutionary time. That is my basic nature. The arrangments of my body and the processes within it are a result of millions of years of evolution. Freud and Reich, and others, were agreed that warping, bending out of shape by society's pliers as Dylan called it, is a threat to health when it goes against those evolved processes. Put that on Ignore at your peril.

The thinking bit is no more that the icing on the cake. Getting it into disharmony with the evolved drives of the organism is un-natural. I stop at traffic lights because it's easier than not doing in the long run. Not because I think it is the socially acceptable thing to do. Hence it doesn't frustrate me. My blood does not boil.

And I would do that regarding feminism if I thought it useful to our race. I can't imagine us even being here if feminism had caught on in the 16th century. We had hundreds of thousands of years in a matriarchy where life was nasty, short and brutish, and we went nowhere from millenium to millenium. Then we invented patriarchal religions and in the blink of an eye we arrived at where we are.

Sometimes I wonder why women don't bow down to us men when they pass us in the street so much they have to thank us for. And I think the ordinary woman has a vague sense of that. And somebody allowed a miniscule bunch of disaffected women to put it all at risk and they penetrated Media for the reasons I gave earlier and now everybody is confused.

"I got mixed up confusion,
Man, it's a killin' me."

They are unsure whether to praise a man or condemn him for flying home to witness the birth of his child and to hold his wife's hand in the delivery room, previously a female preserve, as if he is somehow responsible for the miracle when he could have been playing for England in a Test Match. Listening to the commentators discussing such a strange event it was easy to see that such a thing would never have entered their own heads in their own playing days. It opens the door for the soldiers to demand the same when they are away in the service of their country. And to demand a few months "maternity" leave.

He was on the Ovarian trolley and if he was a good bloke then why can't we all be good blokes?

Quote:
And my first thought was to wonder if the story would have ended differently if there's been a male in the home.

I think it would have ended differently if feminism had been shot down when it first stuck its head over the parapet. The neighbours would have seen to that. Now they keep themselves to themselves because they have learned that things can spiral out of control if they don't.

I'm also not sure that a tragedy of that nature ought really to be discussed as a result of it having been read about in a newspaper one happened to see. One might suggest that the Police be given enough resources to respond to every case where someone calls up to complain about unruly youths. A few guys have been murdered for interfering in cases like that. But those are other stories.

Other factors were obviously in play.

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 10:50 am
@Gala,
Gala - Im struggling to take you serious now. Spendi is not well read on the topic, and if he he is book saavy at all on the topic it is for nothing. He cannot, as you claim, defend his arguments. If he could I'd love to hear him start with the defense of his now infamous declaration that if American men didn't control their women, then Obama would be a shoe in. The interesting thing here is that he is actually right about the product, but the idea that women shouldn't be able to vote is one no amount of reading on Rome or of geremaine Greer is going to put you on par with basic logic. Spendi commonly illustrates his vacant knowledge gaps as he posts on the evolution threads. Here he continues to try and use the word "science" in a sentance as if that alone is all it takes.

As for geremaine Greer widening my view, sure. Of course it does. Diversifying the input you take in is going to do that. At that, reading the thoughts of a lot of people will do that. Reading the rants of bigots like Rush will broaden a view point. Again, what's your point? The end product is still subjective to an individuals experience. Reading Greer or getting offended by rush is just more experiences to add to the list. That list is what our opinions are based off of. If spendi has read Greer, his view is still rather small.

Your posturing, and volunteer librarian declaration that I need to go do my book work is amusing, but don't flatter yourself. I'll read Greer because it can contribute, not because you say I need to.

I don't know what my "precious viewpoint" is that need to "snap out of," or how anything I've posted about feminism places me in the center (quite contrary actually). You should put fewer words in my mouth and more marbles in yours. I've said neither.

T
K
O

aidan

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 10:53 am
@spendius,
Quote:
No I'm not. I'm telling you what you would be discussing if you weren't so molly-coddled and didn't take harvests and consumer durables for granted. And they weren't taken for granted by the majority 100 years ago here and nor are they by the majority of the world's population now.

I have been and am molly-coddled as people go - but at least I'm aware of that fact. A lot of people (not only women - men too) aren't (aware of the fact that they live fairly molly-coddled lives).
Tell me, do you consider yourself molly-coddled? Why or why not?

Quote:
Feminism is an affectation from a motive of self interest.

Interest in what though? Do you think it might be similar to the interest that blacks had in establishing the belief that they were fully human?

Quote:

The statement quoted above is typical of a way of discussing things which is common in our world and strikingly so on this site. It confuses facts with opinions. I state a fact, it is declared an opinion and then I'm attacked with insulting assertions to discredit my opinion and the fact of the fact is on Ignore and a fond belief grows up that the unsuitable fact is discredited. Subjectivity in nutcase mode. Shoot the messenger. Like some scientific critical thinkers have done on the evolution threads. How can an opinion frighten anybody over 10 enough to resort to the Ignore button? That's ridiculous. It is the facts that are ignored.

Oh, give me a break. I have never ignored you - even when you continue to call me Becksie - though I've asked you repeatedly not to (that was a joke - a little gibe - like the statement I made about you coming along to say what we should be discussing, and what we should find interesting..etc., etc).
I can't be held responsible for what those who ignore you do, and I think it's unfair to accuse me of the same behavior - that I have NEVER engaged in- as a matter of fact- with anyone.
I've found the discussion as it's progressed interesting- that's all. I just don't like shutting subjects or people down because they happen to find things more interesting than someone else, and they speak about them in a way that others wouldn't.
You know - Diest knows the audience he's writing for. Maybe they've all read Germaine Greer. Maybe, as PQ and I have both stated - they're ready for some male input on the subject.

Quote:
According to the Darwinists I am an animal. Born in evolutionary time. That is my basic nature. The arrangments of my body and the processes within it are a result of millions of years of evolution. Freud and Reich, and others, were agreed that warping, bending out of shape by society's pliers as Dylan called it, is a threat to health when it goes against those evolved processes. Put that on Ignore at your peril.

Why would I put that on ignore- when I made essentially the same point (about health being threatened when it goes against evolved processes) about three pages ago.

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder why women don't bow down to us men when they pass us in the street so much they have to thank us for.

I can admit that I am intensely grateful for the presence of men in my life and on a day to day basis. I wouldn't have wanted to inhabit a world without men. I don't think most women would.
I think people of each gender have much to thank those of the other gender for- that sounds weird - there's something wrong with that sentence but I don't know how to fix it -except to say that men and women should be thankful to each other - most certainly.
Quote:
And somebody allowed a miniscule bunch of disaffected women to put it all at risk and they penetrated Media for the reasons I gave earlier and now everybody is confused.

Not everyone is confused
I think you're giving feminism and feminists credit for greater scope and influence than they indeed possess.

Quote:
They are unsure whether to praise a man or condemn him for flying home to witness the birth of his child and to hold his wife's hand in the delivery room, previously a female preserve, as if he is somehow responsible for the miracle when he could have been playing for England in a Test Match. Listening to the commentators discussing such a strange event it was easy to see that such a thing would never have entered their own heads in their own playing days. It opens the door for the soldiers to demand the same when they are away in the service of their country. And to demand a few months "maternity" leave.

It's called paternity leave. And how can you blame that on feminists...if blame is the correct word. That's a gift spendius - for these men to be admitted to the delivery room to witness the miracle of the birth of their child. And they don't have to accept that gift if they don't want it or are not interested.

Quote:
I think it would have ended differently if feminism had been shot down when it first stuck its head over the parapet. The neighbours would have seen to that. Now they keep themselves to themselves because they have learned that things can spiral out of control if they don't.

I don't understand how this relates to feminism.

Quote:
I'm also not sure that a tragedy of that nature ought really to be discussed as a result of it having been read about in a newspaper one happened to see.

That's the only way I could know about it to discuss it. I wasn't their neighbor - I didn't know them. I read about it and it resonated with me because those children were bullied because they were not valued - they were disabled. Their mother couldn't protect them because she was not taken seriously by the people who bullied her children. She was given no power in their minds. I think this was at least partly a function of her being female.

Quote:
Other factors were obviously in play.

Obviously- but I only know what the newspaper reported. Those are the only factors I can think about or comment on.

Gala

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 11:41 am
@Diest TKO,
Hilarious. I may be wrong, but I believe, spendius's humor has gone completely over your head.

I don't recall saying you "should" do anything. Sure, I can be bossy, but you can do what ever you'd like-- You're a person in your 20s and thinks, like I did at that age about myself, you are fascinating.

Once more for posturing, if you read G. Greer, you'll understand snapping out of it and preciousness.
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:27 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

I think you ought to read a little Germaine Greer as a starter kit-- Anecdotes are fine, but you need a bigger picture.

you've never claimed to tell me what I "should" do, only what I "ought" to do. Major difference.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:34 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

Hilarious. I may be wrong, but I believe, spendius's humor has gone completely over your head.

I don't recall saying you "should" do anything. Sure, I can be bossy, but you can do what ever you'd like-- You're a person in your 20s and thinks, like I did at that age about myself, you are fascinating.

Once more for posturing, if you read G. Greer, you'll understand snapping out of it and preciousness.

when have I said I'm fascinating?

If "snapping out of it" and "preciousness" are greerisms, that's cool, but she didn't coin either phase and as common language they can be (as you are using them) very offensive and/or patronizing.

As for spendi and his sense of humor, I know he certainly amuses himself. It's been the same routine for years now, so pardon me if I'm bored with it.

T
K
O
spendius

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 01:49 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
Gala - Im struggling to take you serious now.

Is that how you conduct wellness education? Do you require your clients to make gestures of submission?

Quote:
If he could I'd love to hear him start with the defense of his now infamous declaration that if American men didn't control their women, then Obama would be a shoe in.

Well--he was shooed in. I've worked for both our main parties. I believe in an even handed approach. I know why women vote. And I know how elections work. And I have been battling with feminists for many years. I know them inside out. You're just talking labels.

Speaking of myths--

Quote:
Myth 2: Obama's support has suffered because many women voters, upset by the Democrats' failure to nominate Hillary Clinton, will not vote for him. Not so. Obama has gained more ground among women than among men. In Britain, women are usually slightly more conservative then men. But in US elections the gender gap is different. Men are more likely to vote Republican and women to vote Democrat.

This year, the gender gap, far from narrowing as the result of an anti-Obama female backlash, has actually widened. Obama now leads among women by 14 per cent, compared with McCain's 4 per cent lead among men.

And it's in that margin that the result is decided. What was it--52-48?

On what evidence do you assert that I am not well read on this subject? When someone attempts to browbeat their audience with that sort of ignorant assertion you can bet it is a tried and tested technique of their's and that anything they say should be judged in the light of it. You do not even understand how feminists proceed. I do.

And here it comes again--

Quote:
Spendi commonly illustrates his vacant knowledge gaps as he posts on the evolution threads.

How easy that is to blurt out. How impossible it is to argue with it. It simply relies on a half awake audience. And an assumption nobody is going to check it out.

You are not even aware that my presence on those threads is due entirely to it being a feminist proposition to dump on Christianity and they think they have found some science with which to justify it. It has nothing to do with science or evolution. Those are merely convenient sticks to beat Christianity with. My opponents are mere dupes who are not aware of the basic sub-text.

Media is feminist for the reasons I have given and big media organisations, which own all the so called local newspapers wande quotes on there, are up for helping them.

Quote:
Here he continues to try and use the word "science" in a sentance as if that alone is all it takes.

If you had read those evolution threads you would know that one of my main points is that there is more to the matter of religion than the principles of physical science. But you haven't. You couldn't hack it on those threads.

But three ignorant assertions in a row is getting us to the point where we have no choice but to think that you believe your assertions are true on the sole evidence of you have made them. Which calls everything you say into question.

and what does this mean--

Quote:
If spendi has read Greer, his view is still rather small.

That your view is large? I feel small in this vast world of today, yesterday and tomorrow. Just exactly what are you trying to prove with a silly remark of that nature. Again easy to blurt. Again relying on a half awake audience and again impossible to reason with. It's a version of the archetypal female respone "Cos!!". Cos I say so.

Quote:
The end product is still subjective to an individuals experience.

Empty words. And a justification for fundamentalism.

If I thought feminism was the way forward for our societies I would be all in favour of it. It has nothing to do with any subjective experiences. It has to do with the simple and obvious fact that feminism is a dynamic movement. It is not static. Thus it has direction. The end of the line is a world run by women just as it used to be run by men. If you don't think that will work in competition with other cultural groups you need to be opposing feminism now before it goes critical. And if women run the world I hope you don't think it will be in the interests of the ordinary woman because it won't.

I'm here to defend the great mass of ordinary women. I like them. They are lovely little darlings and they want strong handling because they are imbued with cunning to counter their physical weakness.

The ones who call in on a wellness educator are not exactly typical.

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 02:19 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Tell me, do you consider yourself molly-coddled? Why or why not?

Very much so. I get ribbed about it in the pub. Even I will admit to being a bit over the top with it. Even in the military we weren't exactly treated as the gun-deck crew on one of Nelson's ships were treated. Nor the troops of the Roman legions. It depends what you call molly-coddling I suppose. Whatever it is I certainly don't take it for granted.

Quote:
Interest in what though? Do you think it might be similar to the interest that blacks had in establishing the belief that they were fully human?

Interest in power. And no--I don't see any similarities there. I think you need to tighten up your usages there Rebecca.

I never accused you of having me on Ignore. And I thought you liked Becksie. I shall never call you that again. I think "aidan" is not a suitable name for anybody let alone a lady like you. But I'll call you that if you want. You can call me anything you please.

Quote:
they're ready for some male input on the subject.

Well--now they are getting some. Only TK is probably censoring it.

aidan

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 03:57 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I never accused you of having me on Ignore. And I thought you liked Becksie. I shall never call you that again. I think "aidan" is not a suitable name for anybody let alone a lady like you. But I'll call you that if you want. You can call me anything you please.

oh no - I told you I was joking - I have sort have come to like it - no one else in the whole world calls me that and only two other people call me Becky - and only two others call me Becca- so you can call me that.
Because although I think Aidan is a lovely name - if I'd had a third child I'd have used that name - if I could have used Rebecca on this forum I would have, but I tried and it was already taken - although I've yet to see a single Rebecca (I don't really relate to the name Aidan at all although I really do like it).
Quote:
You can call me anything you please.

I'll continue to call you spendius - as I always have - but with a small (non-capitalized) 's', as you requested.

Quote:

Interest in power.

And is that not an understandable interest for anyone to have?
spendius

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 05:17 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
And is that not an understandable interest for anyone to have?

That depends. It is a very interesting subject. It might be best if we refrained from exploring it. TK might be gobsmacked if we did.

What I have been wondering is that it's alright taking about wellness education in the abstract as if it is a wonderful thing but I am more interested in the questions TK is faced with from his clients and what he advised them to do about them.

I wonder if it would be possible for him to describe a few typical scenes in his office and we could debate whether his advice was any use or not.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 06:13 am
@Diest TKO,
Quote:

Never. Therefore, if I go by your words only then precious only comes to mind.

Quote:
If "snapping out of it" and "preciousness" are greerisms, that's cool, but she didn't coin either phase and as common language they can be (as you are using them) very offensive and/or patronizing.

Huh?

So if a phrase is coined then it's acceptable to use, however, when it's used in a paraphrased context then your feelings get bruised?

I'm now understanding better-- the topic of conversation sticks to what you say and what you say alone, with no interpretation required or needed, except for the acknowledgement of your profound sensitivity.

In this case, you're doing a great job, and I've been completely enlightened hearing about how much pressure you felt deflowering the two virgins, among some of your observations.

I think you're clueless, which isn't a crime, just predictable.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 12:07 pm
@Gala,
Quote:

In this case, you're doing a great job, and I've been completely enlightened hearing about how much pressure you felt deflowering the two virgins, among some of your observations.

When did he say that?
spendius

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 01:16 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Well Queenie--one doesn't bring it to the attention of A2Ker how many times one has scratched one's arse but TK did bring it to our attention that he had deintacted two intacti which implies that there was some pressure involved despite it being not all that uncommon of a feat.
spendius

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 05:05 pm
@spendius,
LATEST FROM THE BATTLEFRONT

Millions of 13 and 14 year old girls are being vaccinated to protect them from conditions caused by penetrative sex when circumcising all the lads would be just as effective and, presuming them not having PS at all, neither solution being necessary. It is claimed that a 14 year old girl has died from the effects but I can't vouch for that.

And women who go to work have less healthy children is a headline in the Daily Telegraph.

That's what the merchants of sex have caused.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 05:41 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Well Queenie--one doesn't bring it to the attention of A2Ker how many times one has scratched one's arse but TK did bring it to our attention that he had deintacted two intacti which implies that there was some pressure involved despite it being not all that uncommon of a feat.

Well I can't be bothered to go back and check, but I remember him saying that he HAD 'deflowered' two virgins, and it was them that made it a big deal, not he. There was no bragging involved, as Gala implied.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 05:42 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
And women who go to work have less healthy children is a headline in the Daily Telegraph.

So what are you suggesting?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 06:03 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

Quote:

Never. Therefore, if I go by your words only then precious only comes to mind.

How are we supposed to have an honest discussion if you are going to base it off what I'm NOT saying? You can shadow box all the arguments and opinions all day, but it only makes you look dishonest.

Gala wrote:

Quote:

Huh?

So if a phrase is coined then it's acceptable to use, however, when it's used in a paraphrased context then your feelings get bruised?

How about, your poorly guided snide remarks are noted ism or not. As for my feelings, these statements might pack more of a punch coming from a more consistent poster, but right now it's all empty gloves.

Funny how you are allowed to strawman my views and take issue with things I don't say, but show objection to me confronting you about things you actually say.

Gala wrote:

I'm now understanding better-- the topic of conversation sticks to what you say and what you say alone, with no interpretation required or needed, except for the acknowledgement of your profound sensitivity.

You've shown no skill at interpretation in this thread. You've been consistently attacking my posts with straw men.

Gala wrote:

Don't get selective with your memory now, Gala. The only reason I shared that info was to illustrate the counter to YOUR statement that men were obsessed with women's virginity or that they mystified it. It was not to brag, and if anything, they were both pretty negitive experiences for me in the long run. And guess why? Because the woman (not the man as you had claimed) mystified the experience!

Remember when you even brought that point up? It was because I had given the example that men and women experience different social pressures regarding the topic of virginity. Apparently, to you, having an observation like that makes me obsessed or mystified by the virginal woman.

Get a grip.

Gala wrote:

I think you're clueless, which isn't a crime, just predictable.

Your verdict is noted, and filed next your ability to interpret things for comparison.

T
K
O
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 06:37 pm
(this already feels futile)

spendi - you wanted some examples of what a wellness educator would do. here are a few examples.

Sleep - A common theme in most college students is poor sleeping patterns. It was not uncommon for a student to come in and talk about their sleeping patterns or inability to sleep. As wellness educators, we'd collect information first. Do they exercise? How many and how regular are their meals? What is their class schedule like? What kind of living situation are they in? We'd ask them to describe their level of stress, and to what degree they felt their performance as a student has been affected. In most cases, students struggling with this, were under large amounts of stress and simply needed someone to talk to about it and help them come up with a plan. Wellness educators could offer some structure to the plan by setting up a follow up meeting to check back in with the person and ways to measure success. In some extreme cases, we would pass the student on to one of the nurses for further medical inquiry and potentially a meeting with the clinic doctor. Sometimes prescriptions were written for sleep meds.

Diet & Exercise - Wellness educators, would plan and impelement events on campus such as 5k runs and cooperative nutritional programming with the campus's cafeterias. Some students would want to talk to a wellness educator about diet & exercise related issues. While most of these visits were casual and nutrition based. Some students would come in and confess eating disorders. In these occasions, the typical role of the wellness educator was to simply be a peer, where as the student was perhaps uncomfortable talking to other faculty. Wellness educators would not force a student to see a counselor (Mental Health Professional on campus), but would coach them to see one and explain what kinds of services they offer and how the process works. Most students seeking help in this area are concerned with privacy. Wellness educators never talk about their sessions with anyone other than the director of Student Health.

Sexual topics - Both men and women would come to Student Health to talk to wellness educators. I'd say 9/10 of these visits were about getting access to birth control/condoms/both. We kept a large supply of condoms at Student Health, and if a student wanted some, they could take some. They didn't need to ask, they were in a basket in the lobby. For women, some wanted to see the clinic doctor to get a prescription, but some additionally wanted to know what privacy they'd have in terms of their parents finding out. Wellness Educators would assure them that their medical information and the information they shared with them was private and privileged. Wellness educators would help them schedule their appointment if they wished.

The most extreme visits were about STI/STD transmission, and unplanned pregnancy.

STI/STD - Wellness educators did several proactive programming about STI/STD transmission. We would set up days where students could get tested for free, and would put on programming to address myths about many diseases. If a student came in to talk to a Wellness Educator about a possible STI, the student would be consoled, but encouraged to get tested and know for sure.

Pregnancy - Student Health took no stance on the topic, and instead only helped the woman get accurate information about resources available. As Wellness Educators, we''d generally gather some real basic info. How long since your last period? Do you think you know when you got pregnant? Have you consumed alcohol or other drugs recently? Again, typically, this was mostly consolation. Student's were encouraged to make rational and not emotionally charged decisions. Future meetings would sometimes be scheduled. Our job in these cases was to offer emotional support.

Special Topics - We also did a lot of special topics. Rape statistical informational meetings, health programming for LGBT students, drug abuse, etc.

I'm sure, this is not to your approval. I really don't give a damn.

T
K
O
spendius

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 06:48 am
@Diest TKO,
Composing such a long post in answer to my request is hardly congruent with not giving a damn.

On the substance I would suggest the following--

1- Never offer sleep meds. Tiring them out with exercise does not address the underlying problem. Proper diet information is easy to obtain and anyone on a bad diet should be appraised of the fact that they are idiots and that wellness educators can do nothing about idiocy.

I don't think anything serious can be done about stress without offering advice that campus authorities would strenuously disapprove of. Such as telling them not to give a damn. Stress is a given in competitive environments. Hence insomnia is a given which is great news for bureaucracies dealing with the condition. An organisation dedicated to alleviating conditions which are quite normal in the circumstances without addressing those circumstances is bound to be expansionist.

An explanation that the closing of the eyes in a warm and comfortable position is one of the most, possibly the most, pleasureable experiences of a higher organism. So I would concentrate on the bed. Roomy and toasty. The snuggle factor.

2- On diet and exercise I would suggest that students try to emulate those of their peers who they think are admirable in those respects. I'm not sure it is possible to deal with weak wills without confronting the subject with the fact of their stupidity. I can't see empathy being of any use. I think they are actually looking to be shouted at.

3- I have read recently that the FDA insists upon condoms of a resilience twice that required here. Whether it is still true I don't know. It was a 1980 publication I read it in. If it is still true maybe you might think of importing some from the UK and promoting them as the nearest things to something for nothing yet invented. I would question the desire for something for nothing though. The real answer my friend in blowin' in the wind. So I would show them some movies of Peter North at work. He's the "facial cumshot legend" I gather. The belly painting expert. According to Brantome the posh ladies of bygone times used the ejaculate to benefit their complexions and also as a dietary supplement due to the protein.

One cannot afford one's personal sensitivities to get in the way of giving sound advice to those who come to one seeking it.

The basket in the lobby seems very similar to programmes tried in the Third World when panic set in to the "Population Lobby."

When I was a raw recruit at 18 we were shown films of the conditions and treatment methods for venereal diseases. And so graphic were they that a few of my fellows were physically sick. They certainly had the desired effect. Perhaps you might try such a method. It was one officially approved by the Ministry of Defence. Or you could have talks given by those who have had the red hot cauterisation techniques applied.

It can't be emphasised enough that unplanned pregnancies are caused exclusively by intromission of semen into the vaginal cavern. And graphic descriptions of the alternatives available to deal with them would not be out of the way. Tweeting euphemisms is useless and almost an encouragement.

I trust that rape, in the legal sense I mean, is such a miniscule problem on campus as it is everywhere else that it hardly merits attention.

Basically TK you should shout at the buggers and make them sit up and take notice. Rewarding them with showing your understanding and sympathy is a Wellness Education growth indicator and a proper Wellness Educator should really be trying to make himself superfluous. His activity is inversely proportional to his success.