Jay Leno's New Show- Waddaya Think????

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 09:29 am
Last evening I watched the first of Jay Leno's new prime time show. I had stopped watching Leno's late night show years ago, because I thought that it was deteriorating to attract the lowest common denominator, and it bored me to tears. So, I figured that I would give him another chance, and see if he came up with anything impressive with his new gig.

Well, that will be the last time that I will watch that show. Leno appeared to be straining for laughs, and really, he was not very funny. It is one thing to doze to a late night show, but , IMO, one needs a bit more stimulation at 10 p.m.

I was appalled by the number of commercials that accompanied the show. Believe me, I think that it was a waste of advertising budget.

Have you seen the show? Did you like it? Will it become part of your video watching?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 3,221 • Replies: 22
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 09:32 am
@Phoenix32890,
I was watching a show all about a super sized Jurassic Dinosaur that could crush cars with its mouth (technically, only if there were any cars around to crush).
Jay Leno was never one of my favorites. He has an annoying voice.
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 09:37 am
Read this after I posted the thread. The person who wrote it seems to have a similar reaction to mine:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090915/ap_on_en_tv/us_aftermath_leno_premiere
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 09:38 am
@Phoenix32890,
what were they expecting anyway? Ed Sullivan?
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 09:52 am
@farmerman,
farmerman- Yeah, but at least he could have come up with something new. I have the feeling that Conan O'Brian is not doing that well, (although I have never watched him, I have read some negative reviews)and that NBC thought that Jay could pull the network out of the doldrums.

I don't think that there is anyone on the horizon who can come near Johnny Carson, or even David Letterman.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 09:56 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

farmerman- Yeah, but at least he could have come up with something new. I have the feeling that Conan O'Brian is not doing that well, (although I have never watched him, I have read some negative reviews)and that NBC thought that Jay could pull the network out of the doldrums.

I don't think that there is anyone on the horizon who can come near Johnny Carson, or even David Letterman.

Conan O'Brien is hilarious. Jay, not so much.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:05 am
It's all about the almighty dollar I think.

That 10 pm slot is the busiest and most lucrative and the dramas were expensive. Even if Leno has ho-hum numbers the network will make money.

Don't forget too that Leno is peddling topical political humor and he's first in line at 10 pm. That will help keep the viewership interested.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:05 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
Have you seen the show? Did you like it? Will it become part of your video watching?

Inasmuch as I watch virtually no television, I doubt that I'll change my ways just to accommodate the new time slot for Jay Leno. Never cared for that type of talk show much, regardless of who the emcee is. Steve Allen was the last good one. OK, maybe Jack Paar,but he got too emotional. Johnny Carson had a good personility but an appalling lack of any intelligence.
alex240101

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:30 am
Jay Leno had a well advertised farewell last "The Tonight Show" finale. I thought he was gone,...at least for a while.
Then he comes back. Just didn't seem right.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 12:41 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I was watching a show all about a super sized Jurassic Dinosaur that could crush cars with its mouth (technically, only if there were any cars around to crush).
Jay Leno was never one of my favorites. He has an annoying voice.

Hey, farmerman. I watched this too. Big dinosaur! Don't care much one way or the other about Leno's voice. It's his personality I don't like. I won't be watching.
kickycan

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 01:46 pm
Jay Leno is an overrated, Doritos-shilling hack. I hope his show gets cancelled as soon as possible.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 02:36 pm
@Roberta,
You obviously are a woman of discerning taste.

Kicky, not so much.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 02:36 pm
I had planned to watch the debut, but when it came down to it, it just was not that important. I found myself otherwise occupied.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 03:03 pm
Leno is ****. If he's going to attempt political humor it's just another example of the networks taking an idea (The Daily Show) and pussifying it for the pussy masses. I won't watch it.
panzade

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 03:04 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
right on the money bear
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 06:40 pm
Jay Leno has always been on my "No" list. When I heard he had a new show all I could say was "HELL NO!"
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 07:07 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I didn't watch Leno, probably won't in the future.

Responding to MA that Allen and Parr were the last good emcees... I think Merv Griffin and Mike Douglas did fairly good jobs in their daytime slots.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 07:10 pm
@JPB,
I was quite fond of Steve Allen, haven't watched any of the late nite shows since then.
JPB

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 07:17 pm
@dyslexia,
Late night is past my bedtime. That's why I'm only familiar with the daytime hosts.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 07:27 pm
I CANT FIGURE THIS OUT. If we all agree that Leno is a douche, how did he wind up owning his timeslot over these years.