Does anyone know the now deceased artist Lori Stanley??

drselig

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 08:52 pm
I have several very fine paintings of the artist Lori Stanley. Why am I having such a hard time finding any info on thenet about her.

What I know to date is that she is now deceased, maybe 10- 20years). her paintings are usually large format and very whimsical-mystical renditions usually of females in repose with beatifully designed garments.. although one painting I have is of african animals.. her colors are usually bright and very dreamy...

If anyone can help on this... I would bemost appreciative... I am looking for a buyer and I need some bio information on her and possibly a source of who has bought her in thge past.

I am standing here looking at her paintings... she was very popular on the west coast I believe and yet not a peep can I find anywhere google and elsewhere... lets see ho good you guys are..please help.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 9,237 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 07:06 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=402179#402179

I posted a response here in this thread where you asked basically the same thing. I won't be investing any more time into searching for info for you until I've heard a response.
jan lion

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 12:20 am
does anyone know anything about Lori Stanley?
I have seen some of her work and really like it.
Which paintings do you have - are they original? What are their names? How many do you have? Where did you buy them?
Thanks,
de Lestonnac
0 Replies

tweathet

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:59 am
lori stanley
Hi there, my mother personally knew Lori Stanley and we also have 3 or 4 pieces of her work. The only published information I have on her is an article from the Modesto Bee on her first official art showing at Stan State university. If you are interested in a copy of this article I can get it to you. Also I am interested in seeing pictures and possibly purchasing some of the pieces you have of Lori's. Please get back to me!
Tightj

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 08:23 pm
Lori Stanley and her paintings
My father in law was just showing me 17 different paintings that Lori Stanley did beautifully. She gave them to him as a gift many years ago. Some are on canvas, some on wood. My father in law knew and her family fairly well. He has the obituary of Lori Stanley as well. He has kept these amazing paintings hidden away and safe from harm for quite a few years. I have been trying to find some information about her. I know her paintings were extremely expensive.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 08:27 pm
Hello, all. I don't know about Lori Stanley but am a long time a2ker. It would be a good idea if you folks asked for updates on this thread, as the rest of us don't know who you are to get the person from 2003 together with the person from 2007.
0 Replies

Tightj

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:13 pm
Re: lori stanley
My father in law was just showing me 17 different paintings that Lori Stanley did beautifully. She gave them to him as a gift many years ago. Some are on canvas, some on wood. My father in law knew and her family fairly well. He has the obituary of Lori Stanley as well. He has kept these amazing paintings hidden away and safe from harm for quite a few years. I have been trying to find some information about her. I know her paintings were extremely expensive. Let me know if you know anyone who might be interested in collecting some of her work, or if you would like more information about her.

tweathet wrote:
Hi there, my mother personally knew Lori Stanley and we also have 3 or 4 pieces of her work. The only published information I have on her is an article from the Modesto Bee on her first official art showing at Stan State university. If you are interested in a copy of this article I can get it to you. Also I am interested in seeing pictures and possibly purchasing some of the pieces you have of Lori's. Please get back to me!
0 Replies

patriciabelyea

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 10:13 pm
Found Lori Stanley Painting
I knew Lori from Merced, California in the early 1980's. When I moved to Seattle in 1983, I commissioned her to create two paintings for me. They hang in my living room today.

This morning, five blocks from my home, I found a Lori Stanley painting outside a neighbor's home. The homeowner told me that two young men deserted the painting in his yard two months earlier. He had kept it outside, hoping the real owner would spot it.

The painting, No. 34, has been sprayed with paint and the canvas is quite bumpy. There is crazing in some areas.

My neighbor is letting me have the painting. I plan to restore it as best I can to honor my dear artist friend who is now dead.

This unusual event has renewed my interest in finding out more about Lori's life and her fantastic paintings.

Can you tell me anything more about Lori?
0 Replies

Tightj

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 05:47 pm
Artist Lori Stanley
Hello Everyone.
My father in law has recently started opening up to me about how well he knew Lori Stanley and her brother Rick (Richard) Stanley. My father in law was married to Rick's wife's sister. The wives/sisters had two other sisters as well. Lori was very close to this group of sisters. They considered Lori to be a part of their family. My father in law had 5 acres with a river located between Merced and Atwater. All four sisters, my father in law, Rick, and Lori would spend a lot of time together at the property having barbecues and swim parties. Later, Rick gave my father in law 17 different artworks that Lori had done. Rick mentioned that one of the paintings has won an award in an Art Show. If anyone has any information about the Award, we would love to find out the details. All 17 pieces of artwork have names and dates. These beautiful pieces are very dear to My father in law's heart; but I think that under just the right circumstances, he would be willing with one or two of the great works of art by the late Lori Stanley. She unfortunately committed suicide on March 7th, 1996. Please let me know if anyone has more information about the life of Lori Stanley. My father in law would be delighted to share stories.
fairylosophy

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 03:41 pm
lori stanley
I didn't know Lori Stanley but I knew the person who represented her as an artist. I saw several of her originals and giclees. I wanted to purchase her art but was not in a position to at the time. Whoever knows the father-in-law and her brother Rick, who I heard inherited all of her available art, must know the tragic story of her death. She is the artist I've always admired the most! What an imagination so rich and exotic almost from another world. Somewhere I have an article on her art that appeared in a newspaper in Sedona, AZ. Also, some of her art is in the Creative Live Center in Sedona.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 10:26 pm
I just did a google search and found the following info:

Cline Fine Art Gallery
526 Canyon Rd 87501
(505) 982-5328, fax (505) 986-0880
Daily 10-5
Dir: Geoff & Helen Cline

Western masters, New Mexico modernists, selected contemporary artists. G/C

Artists exhibited: Karl Albert, Bill Barrett, Emil Bisttram, Charles Bunnell, Alexandre Hogue, Peter Hurd, Annabel Livermore, James Magee, Alfred Morang, Paul Shapiro, Lori Stanley, K. Douglas Wiggins

Maybe if you contact this gallery, they can tell you more about her.

Hope that helps!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 12:10 am
Please click on SEARCH and look up Lori Stanley. There are several threads about her and following her art on A2k.
0 Replies

Tightj

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:43 pm
@Stray Cat,
I had contacted this gallery some time ago. They do not have any of her work but the owner's father sold Lori's work years ago. They were selling for 35k and above for each piece.
0 Replies

paxagirl

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 10:59 am
@tweathet,
Are you still interested in purchasing Lori's work?
0 Replies

bjones5

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 11:27 am
@Tightj,
I knew Lori - she was my next door neighbor in Merced, California for several years. Her kids played with mine and we were good friends. When she moved farther out in the country we kept in touch. Lori was a very gentle, natural and earthy mom and person. She loved her boys very much and was very nurturing. She would stay up all night painting. I remember one day she came over and told me she couldn't find her youngest son, Dustin. He was probably about 2 or 3 years old. We searched the neighborhood and finally called the police. He was in her bed down under the covers the whole time.

Lori never had a lot of money and I think that inspired her creativity. Her house in the country had walls papered with aluminum foil for warmth and oil on canvas paintings that covered an entire wall in the dining room. She was an animal lover and adopted my son's pet rat and let it run loose in her house. It lived in her dishwasher (which didn't work) and kept a stash of found objects there. She told a funny story about hearing a ka-thump noise and realizing it was the rat trying to force a potato into the dishwasher.

I attended one of her early shows at Merced College. I could never afford her paintings but I admired them very much. I often kick myself as they were really relatively affordable back then. She also illustrated calendars and greeting cards. She would loan me paintings to hang in my living room. She painted an abstract and Brett gave it to me one Christmas. We lost touch when I moved to Ohio and I was sad to hear about her death. I was told that her oldest son, Cody, has a collection of her paintings. Anyone wishing to contact me about Lori can send me an email at [email protected]. I doubt that I will remember how to find this site again.
0 Replies

mshubacca

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 02:58 pm
Hi all,
I have it on good authority that a member of Lori's family who has a sizable collection of her work may be interested in parting with a few very rare pieces. Is there any interest?
0 Replies

lois pearl

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 05:12 pm
@drselig,
Hi there. Lori was a dear friend and neighbor of mine in the early nineties and late eighties. Our kids spent lots of time together, and we did too. She was so magical and complex and interesting and challenging. When I was going to Stanislaus in 1988, I took her slides to the art gallery there and they dropped everything to arrange a show for her. That first show she sold eight paintings for over 3K each, and traded some for other artists' works. The slides have disappeared, as have her remaining paintings. I'd love to find "Autumn Dog", and her painting of a woman hanging laundry in the wind. Beautiful, and so like her. She died in March of 1996, and visited me once in a dream to say how angry she was that she was no longer here. I'm mad too! I know of one family that has a dozen or so of her paintings; they bought them from Lori to help her financially when times were tight for her--like most artists, money was not always there when she needed it. You can email me if you like, at [email protected] I loved her dearly.
0 Replies

dalton1574

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 10:47 am
@Tightj,
hi, my name is dalton stanley. I am ricks son i dont know much about him but i would like to if you have any information on him i would really apreciate it.
brandy hofmann

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 02:27 pm
@drselig,
Hello: I am Lori Stanley's First cousin Brandy, the only living relative left. My Mother her Aunt just passed away last year She brought me up, we called each other sisters. I have many of Lori's paintings. I don't have info on awards but have to tell everyone Ricky and her Dad have both passed on also. If I can help with anything I would be happy too. I do know her ex- boyfriend still lives in Merced Ca. who would know much of the info or as much as anyone could . He is the father of her one of her sons. It is a shame about Lori, I miss her very much . Everyday, I live in Sedona Az. ironically where I found her art in a chapel that I went in to see if I wanted to get married there. The woman that showed me thought I was going to faint as I gasped at her Art . Needless to say I was married there. [email protected]
0 Replies

babzigueroa777

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 12:29 am
@drselig,
hello i was her neighbor and the last person she spoke to before she killed herself . i have none of her work but two magazines that she was featured in and infact have no idea how much they are worth id love one tho i do know a few things about her tho me and my mother seeing as how i was a child when she passed she was like my best friend and was such a child at heart she was beautiful inside and out .. if i can help u know her more id love to u cancontact me at [email protected] if you like to speak about her .. thank you
barbara figueroa
0 Replies