How does one judge political art?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:49 am
Helipo, is not allowed here on a2k to put one's website on a post or in a signature. I think you may put it in your Profile as your favorite website.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:23 am
Your work is very interesting, Helipo. What is the scale of these pieces?

Your English is a little hard to understand, but I have tremendous respect for the fact that you can communicate in my language! Way to go. What is your most comfortable tongue?

If the scale is small they seem almost like something that someone would carry or hold as a charm - a reminder of transgressons or maybe a gaurd against them?

Where do you obtain soapstone, and how difficult is it to carve? What kind of stone is soapstone?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:37 am
Helipo, generally, it is permissable to link directly to an image file (so long as that image does not violate any provision of The Terms of Service ) ... for example, taking a random image from your website;

http://works.artsig.com/works/94/64/26494-fd474a9e8f435459.jpg

It is not permissable to link to one's own website, or to pages on that website. If you'd like help linking directly to files, not to the website hosting the file or to the page on which the file appears, click the A2K FAQ link you'll find in red letters down in my signature, and read up on how to link to images, or click on on the A2K Help link you'll find in dark blue letters down in my signature. That'll take you, naturally, to The Help Forum. Open a new topic requesting help on linking to images, and you'll get plenty of it. In fact, there's an ongoing thread on the Help forum already dealing with that in detail... check it out, if you'd like. You well may find all you need right there. Welcome to A2K ... hope you enjoy it here, and decide to stick around.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:02 pm
Timber I need that for me avatar, please help me figure out how to snag it?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:13 pm
Well, its Heliopo's work, so you really oughtta check out if its OK with Heliopo, first.

Otherwise, just save an image to your machine, open it in an application that will let you size the image appropriately and save it as a .gif file (such as IrfanView ), perform the necessary manipulations, save the changed image as a new file, then upload it as an avatar in your profile.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 01:10 pm
Well I already tried that with another image when I deleted the old red head. But this lady is really more like me.

I will chick it out though, I lover this painting.
0 Replies

heliopo

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 01:35 pm
first...

thanks timberlandko for your help.

I will try to understand, how I can submit here directly a pic of the soapstone.

and...JoanneDorel, I am glad you like my new painting. title*looking for love* . you can use it as an avatar if you want. :wink:

and @ Portal Star:

soapstone or talc; a soft gray to green stone or white stone, used as a carving medium.Soapstone is made up of mineral deposits created by nature and quarried from the earth. The main mineral components in soapstone include talc, chlorite, dolomite and magnesite, giving a warm, soft feeling to the touch. this stone has the same weight spezife as granite. Soapstone has a unique soft color with light flowing veins. When cut, it oxidizes from light grey to dark charcoal in color. A protective coat of mineral oil makes its color even more dramatic. this stone can be worked on very well with small files from iron .unfortunately it breaks fast . I get the stone here in Berlin in a art shop.the stone is manual work with small iron-file to soapstone,heavily: 3.750 g , height :18cm ,25cm long and 11cm broad. I love this kind of stone. its easy to work with them. but the best way you have a working room, because it makes a lot of dust.

and.. I am a good talker in German. but I will get a better english by time.
thanks for your interest! regards
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 02:12 pm
You're more than welcome, Heliopo ... and no need to be so formal; folks here mostly just call me "timber" ... when they're not mad at me, anyway :wink:

And do check out those links. If you have difficulty with English, several members here are native German speakers, and others are quite fluent in the language. You should find it easy to get help understanding stuff that might be obscure to you. And there's always the Help Forum ... that's what its there for. There's also a Testing Forum, where you can try stuff before "going public" with it. I think you can find it on your own ... you seem pretty bright to me. :cool:
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:50 pm
Goodness JD - that will be some change of image!

Heliopo you could pm me your web address if you would like? I would like to see your work.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:34 pm
No website yet but I will give you my e-mail in a pm and then I can send the awful pics I do have jpeg to you.

heliopo you are so kind and gracious I just love it, your portrait and you have absolutly captured my essence in it. It must the the collective unconcious at work here.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:44 pm
helio I just checked out your web site yowza - your work is faboulous. I am working on a painting similar to this one but not quite the same. I am getting a digital camera tomorrow and will post it here for you to see.

http://works.artsig.com/works/42/55/25542-thumb.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 05:32 pm
heliopo, great work, really neat.
Most political work that we see is either establishment or critique. My fav has always been Kollwitz and her ability to put a face on the pestilences driven by regimes. So muchh of her work was officially shunned by the Nazis (even though she was on deaths bed) The NAzis favored (actually it was officially adopted in Hitlers Sonderauftrag Linz,)This was a big public art project that attempted to celebrate the Arian culture by the manipulation of "public" art into schmaltzy Wagnerian heroic crap. SOme of our own WPA art that peppers DC (even the recent draped boobs on the statues at the old Post Office when Asscroft gave a speech on the Patriot ACt) looks remarkeably like Nazi ubermenshen stuff. Im not a big fan of any Republics attempts at public art. Nationalistic stuff tends to be too militaristic.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:01 pm
Timber you are a task master but I got the new avatar and a computer head ache.

FM isn't this work great

Yikes you think we could get into trouble with the patriot act?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:07 pm
that avatar is way cool joanne.. The patriot act is there , staring in our Windows (and Mac os)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:09 pm
Well the FBI needs more work that is what I say. Yes don't you just love my new do.

helio gave me permission to use her painting and I just love the way I look now. More realistic don't you think?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:38 pm
JoanneDorel wrote:
Timber you are a task master but I got the new avatar and a computer head ache.

hehehehehe ... I don't mind helpin' ya figure out how to do somethin', but I ain't gonna do it for ya :wink:
Oh, and farmerman, I think you're spot on re The Art of Republics ... but then bombast is about the only form of expression governments can mange ... artisc or otherwise.
0 Replies

heliopo

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 03:22 am
hehe JD has a cool avatar Very Happy

and I hope I can see next time your painting. Smile

and Vivien, you can find the link to my works in my profile .

and farmerman
, I am glad you like some of my works!

http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/person/egypt1.gif
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:49 am
I like them too - especially the carvings. How hard is soapstone to carve? is it a softish stone? Your son is gorgeous!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:34 am
certain soapstones have asbestos like minerals in the talc. I hope you use a good dust mask.

timber-I especially dislike most WPA public art. It is so interpretive of one times view of the heroic. Even some of Thomas Hart Bentons works , while epic, can be too "Zaftig" in his interpretations of "winning the west" or these sweeping themes.

I guess filling a wall makes one stretch ones imagination.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 12:45 pm
OK now I have a digital camera but don't know how to use it. I know, I know I am off to get a geek to help. Unless timber would like to make up with me and prevent a major headache for me today.
0 Replies