Inglourious Basterds (Spoiler Alert)

DrewDad

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 08:33 am
I saw Inglourious Basterds last night. I'm not really a fan of Tarrantino, but it had good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, and I was at loose ends.

I might even be termed a Tarrantino anti-fan. This started with Pulp Fiction, because (in my opinion) he showed such contempt for the audience. Basically, he tried to see how much abuse he could foist off on people under the guise of "entertainment".

Now, I thought Basterds was heading in the same direction, but he did surprise me in the end.

First, the plot to kill Hitler actually succeeded. That's certainly a different take on the "plot to kill Hitler" genre.

Second, the climactic scene in the movie theater. Here you are sitting in a theater watching a movie, about people in a theater watching a movie, and you can't help but think "who's in my projector room? who's behind my screen?"

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 11:14 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
I might even be termed a Tarrantino anti-fan.

Same here, he's very talented (especially in dialogue) but he plays the shock jock card too much for me to appreciate his work.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:01 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I might even be termed a Tarrantino anti-fan. This started with Pulp Fiction, because (in my opinion) he showed such contempt for the audience. Basically, he tried to see how much abuse he could foist off on people under the guise of "entertainment".

I'm curious, what kind of abuse do you feel he dished out to the audience? I actually thought that, given the right circumstances, events that happened in PF go on all the time. To me it was more believeable than most romantic comedies and action films.

PF is pretty much my fav movie of all time.

I'll see IB when it comes out on DVD. I heard a review that said the climax of the film actually occurs about 20 minutes before the films end.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 01:03 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I'm curious, what kind of abuse do you feel he dished out to the audience?

He showed the most awful, vicious, disgusting behaviors, and made people think it was entertainment. Murder? Check. Callous disregard of human life? Check. Greed? Check. Rape? Check. Slavery? Check. Torture? Check.

It is a cynical, contemptuous (in that he treated the audience with contempt) piece of film making. And I don't like it when people treat me with contempt.
chai2

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:10 pm
@DrewDad,
I'm not getting how you feel that's treating you with contempt. Can you explain?
I didn't feel Tarentino depised me, or disrespected me. I felt more like my senses were being stretched out and exercised.

You don't have to watch the film, and, as far as I can see from todays headlines, he's reflecting what goes on every day, everywhere.

Movies like (just off the top of my head, one's that were big money makers) The Italian Job, Laura Croft, and others I feel treat people as gullible consumers of merchandise, and feed them the fantasy that "gee, I could be really cool like that" I wonder how much the sales of mini coopers went up after the IJ? I don't even pay much attention to what's being sold in the market place, but I sure know I saw enough LC stuff.
Pulp Fiction didn't try to sell merchandise, which I find commendable today, and it presented what I found to be very possible events, and showed realistic solutions. If I ever had brains splatter all over my back seat, I'd have done just what Mr. Wolf suggested.

I appreciated the way he was able to manipulate my feelings, just by the choice of music.
The first time I saw the movie, I was dying, literally looking through my fingers, trying to figure out what horrible thing was happening to Marcelus Wallace in that back room. The music was so frantic, my imagination was running wild. By the time the door was opened, and I saw that Marcelus was getting ass raped, I heaved a sigh of relief and thought "oh thank God, he's only getting ass-fucked."

Was some of it raw?
Sure.
Life is raw.

But it didn't treat me like I thought I could zip around streets in my mini cooper with my 5 friends, saving whatever it was they were saving, or acrobatically saving the day, like Laura Croft.

Do I like to watch violent films all the time? No, not at all. But for my money, PF, regardless of the violence, was one of those movies that just flowed together so perfectly, seamlessly.

On the other hand, his other films like the Kill Bill's, and From Dusk Til Dawn (especially that one) didn't hold my interest, as it didn't feel possible.
In fact, I was loving From Dusk Til Dawn for the first part, but when it got all stupid and silly with the vampires, I felt totally cheated.

I like movies where things aren't probable, but are possible.

That's why I do want to see IB, to see which it is.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:13 pm
liked pulp fiction.

put it right there with the hitcher...

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:22 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I heaved a sigh of relief and thought "oh thank God, he's only getting ass-fucked."

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Rape is a horrible thing, and he made you feel good about it.

He served up a **** sandwich, and people ate it up. He deliberately served up a **** sandwich, knowing that people would eat it up. And ask for more.

You're free to feel differently, of course.

To me, though, it's like that sculptor who displayed a toilet as art, titled "fountain", and laughed as people took it seriously.
chai2

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:29 pm
@DrewDad,
Hemarrhoids are a horrible thing too. But you feel relief when you find out that at least it's not cancer.

You survive rape, you don't survive what I was imagining.

I'm gonna go start writing a screen play about rrhoids.

The Hitcher....was that the movie with Rudger Hauer? (brrrr)
Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:34 pm
@chai2,
yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WmEoMY2Lo
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 05:54 pm
@chai2,
Gotta go with the chai lady on this , PULP FICTION is the standard by which dark comedies will be measured.

The monly thing about Tarrantino that I dislike , is his "trademark" of taking a script, then tearing it up and throwing it in the air. He picks the pieces up in no specific order and makes the film that way.
Every filmaker has a "few" tricks that they master and Tarrantino has overplayed his.
Another Tarrantino gimmick is the characters habit, somehwere in the script, having totally unrelated deep discussions about soem arcane crap that is not germain to the movie continuity.
Like the discussion of "The WHopper" in France.
Like Seinfeld was a show about nothing, Tarrantino mines nothing within a dark script and gives us some humor.

Coens do this also. I always feel I get my money's worth.

TArrantino will also take a film along a path and then itll take a sharp right turn and you have to rearrange your character loyalties. Like in Pulp Fiction, Travolta got killed coming out of a bathroom in the middle of the film ( when actually i happened much later than the other segments), so in order to not make me have to trust Sam Jackson too much, Tarrantino jiggered the continuity order and had Travolta still alive in the end of the movie because it was actually a flashback.

You need to watch Pulp Fiction with an open mind and a really quirked out sense of humor.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 06:18 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
really quirked out sense of humor.
yeah I liked it too.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 10:03 pm
@DrewDad,
I feel similarly to you in that I think he insults the intelligence of his audience by relying on shocking scenes to get a rise out of them, and the scene in the car where they spatter the kid's brains all over the back window is a good example of a pointless piece of shock. But I think you are ignoring that he's a very talented filmmaker which is why he can get away with that kind of cheap trick.

I think Pulp Fiction is the most overrated movie of the 90s, but it's still a good movie even if you strip away all his cheap tricks.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 10:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
For example, the dialogue about the quarter pounder with cheese is something few forget and it's completely trivial. Tarantino is great with dialogue, and Samuel Jackson's performance was powerful and memorable.

It was a bit more than his usual shock jock fare, even if he couldn't help himself and still relied on that crutch.
farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 05:56 am
@Robert Gentel,
Im amused that we seem to honor Tarantino"s methods with the sobriquet of "Crutch". When does crutch morph into Brilliant technique?

I was always a critic of his " 53 card pickup" technique of continuity , but that was a minor annoyance , especially when it was woven so well as in Pulp Fiction.

Tarantino admits his "influence" from Peckinpah , especially for the "Bloody Sam" moniker. However, Tarantino is a true talent while Peckinpah was, (IMHO) just a wild ass dissipate whose lack of social skills was evident in his work
DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:13 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
But I think you are ignoring that he's a very talented filmmaker which is why he can get away with that kind of cheap trick.

No, I acknowledge he's talented. He couldn't have gotten away with it otherwise.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:56 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
He showed the most awful, vicious, disgusting behaviors, and made people think it was entertainment. Murder? Check. Callous disregard of human life? Check. Greed? Check. Rape? Check. Slavery? Check. Torture? Check.

The movie was called PULP FICTION. Anyone that knows anything about PULP FICTION knows that is the entire point of PULP FICTION. It is about murder, callous disregard of human life, greed, rape, slavery, torture and a lot of other disgusting human actions. That's why it's called PULP FICTION. I didn't expect to see Jane Austin or F Scott Fitzgerald when it was titled PULP FICTION. I am unclear why you expected something different Drew.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:07 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
PULP FICTION

Yup. "Those people like to read this for entertainment, right? Let's show 'em just how f'd up they are...."
DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:08 am
@DrewDad,
And does anyone have anything to say about Inglourious Basterds? I didn't really intend for this to become a discussion about Pulp Fiction.
mismi

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:18 am
@DrewDad,
I thought it was clever and fun. Brad Pitt was hysterical - how did he keep that look on his face the entire time?

My favorite scene? The end when the her face is projected onto the smoke. Awesome effect.

It was violent - but Tarrantino knows how to insert enough of the ridiculous in there that it seems to off-set the gruesomeness of it all.

Loved it.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 09:04 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Im amused that we seem to honor Tarantino"s methods with the sobriquet of "Crutch". When does crutch morph into Brilliant technique?

I don't think his reliance on shocking his audience is a brilliant technique, I think it's a cheap trick and it is the main reason I do not like his body of work.

That being said I think Pulp Fiction is a decent movie, though overrated is all I'm saying.
0 Replies