Fake Picasso lithograph

choc

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 10:46 am
My husband recently inherited from his mother a Picasso lithograph that I cannot identify. Her sister who lived in NYC gave it to her in the 1960s. It has Picasso's name & what I think is a date in the left-hand corner. It looks like "Le P 12.60 which I think means 1 December 1960. "Le Premier" is how the first day of the month is sometimes written in French. It has a label on the back that says "Picasso Arts Inc." It is black & white and looks like the white profile of a face on the left flowing into the black profile of a face on the right. I searched the Picasso Online Project for 1960 & didn't find anything, and a local art gallery (Roy Saper) couldn't identify it. Nearby libraries don't own the Catalogue Raisonnes. I really just want to know the title of this lithograph because we like it very much. Thanks for any help you can give me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 7,837 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Gala

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 10:53 am
@choc,
Why not contact the auction houses? Sotheby's etc. Also, look at the publisher if the catalogue you mention and email them as well. If your french isn't up to snuff, Google can do the transcribing.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 03:34 pm
No way would an orginal have sticker on the back thqt says Picasso Arts inc.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 03:34 pm
No way would an orginal have sticker on the back that says Picasso Arts Iinc.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 03:44 pm
@sullyfish6,
There have been exhibitions which such lithographs, so.

Like this one, in 1967:

http://i32.tinypic.com/2vjr9co.jpg

(Source:The Evening Independent via google)

The Picasso-Graphic Museum in Münster/Germany has the largest collections of Picasso grahics. They might possibly be of some help: http://www.graphikmuseum-picasso-muenster.de/index.php?id=46&L=1
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 03:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The "Le P 12.60" looks more like a 'serial number' than like a date, I think.
0 Replies

choc

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 04:40 pm
Thank you all for your suggestions.
Choc
0 Replies

elswell

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:13 pm
@choc,
Hmm, I seem to have what sounds like the same lithograph, also with what appears to be Le P. 12. 60 written below the signature in a reddish-brown pencil of some kind. It was inherited from my grandmother in southern Ca. along with a lithograph from 1961 titled "Fleurs" according to the Picasso online project. I'd be interested in any information about it you might have along with any photos. Feel free to email me at elswell at hotmail dot com
0 Replies

iparker

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 12:39 am
@choc,
We have the same one (also inherited). Did you find out anything about it?
choc

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:50 pm
@iparker,
I just now looked at my question to see if anyone else knew an answer. Here is what I have found out and I sent the information to the previous person who owned the same lithograph.
I have found out more about our Picasso lithograph. I was able to
> order the Margaret Silberman book (Pour Margaret from Picasso with
> love) from Zurich, and she had an illustration of it and an
> explanation of how she acquired it. (She was the owner of the shop
> where mine was bought sometime between 1961-1965. ) She was friends
> with Picasso and Jacqueline and after Margaret did a favor for
> Picasso, he offered her a choice of 12 pictures of double heads he
> had done. Each was done in a wash. I don't know about this
> technique except it is done with India ink. Anyway, the book also
> listed where our lithograph could be found: Zervos, Christian. Pablo
> Picasso, vol. 19, plate 386. It is a set of 33 volumes. Even though
> ours says Dec. 1, l960, it was actually done Nov. 12, 1960 as were
> the others. Most of the other eleven "Tetes" are on adjacent pages
> in the Zervos book.
>
> My local art gallery owner-friend is puzzled about what we have. It
> seems there would only be the one original wash picture and then a
> lithograph would have been made in order to sell copies. So I have
> no idea how many lithographs were made of ours or of the other eleven
> heads. (Margaret called it a double head picture.)
>
> Margaret's book is primarily about Picasso's kindness and generosity
> to her which he often exhibited by giving her drawings.
>
daughter of Margaret

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 01:33 am
@choc,
The truth is that it is neither a fake nor a lithograph. It is a very fine reproduction of a drawing ('Tete' in Zervos XIX, no. 386, 'Double Head' in Margaret Silberman 'Pour Margaret from Picasso with Love' (Akanthus, CH 8802 Kilchberg/Zurich, Fax 0041 44 715 37 54) pp.27-29.

The Chinese-ink drawing was made by Picasso on 12 November 1960 and given to my mother, Margaret Silberman, on the first of December 1960. Sometime in the 1960s my mother was approached by a company (I think it was French) which asked for permission to reproduce the drawing - omitting the full dedication 'Pour Margaret Silberman, hommage de Picasso, le P er [premier] 12.60' but leaving the signature and date. I do not know the name of the company nor have any idea whether or how they marketed the reproduction. In return for having granted them permission, the company gave my mother a number of reproductions for herself. My mother never sold any of these but she would give them as presents to particular friends. Your husband's aunt must havwe been one of those.

Margaret's daughter
Tomkatjones

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 11:28 am
@daughter of Margaret,
Dear Daughter of Margaret,

We have been trying to determine the provenance of a lithograph that I inherited from my mother in Beverly Hills last year -- Intérieur rouge avec aun transatlantique blue.

Last year, we were referred to The Picasso Administration by Sotheby's London, based upon the fact that our Intérieur rouge avec aun transatlantique blue does not appear to have any series notation nor does it indicate an EA or HC in absence of a numbered edition so they were puzzled about how to value it. The PA has since said that they think it's a fake but we have now come to find out that the person my mother purchased the litho from purchased it from your mother.

Without revealing the personal details given that this IS public and the internet, may complicate your assessment. We would be happy to reveal these details to you privately, if that makes any difference in your consideration but we would be grateful for any clarity you can bring to this.

We also have another piece -- No. 43/300 of Nature morte au citron et un picket rouge which was evidently also purchased from your mother, although the provenance of this one does not appear to be in question.

Can you help us with any further details about the Interior rouge as we are wanting to get it insured.

Thank you,

Katie J.., United Kingdom
0 Replies

iparker

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 08:47 am
@daughter of Margaret,
Hello,
I would love to determine if I have the same print or a different one. Our source was different. Is there a way for you to contact me directly (choc or Margaret's daughter)? Thanks.
0 Replies

Mrsbqueen

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 01:22 pm
@choc,
You are the only reference I have found so far of someone who has the same label on the back of their Picasso as my family's piece has. I would greatly appreciate any update you might give on your research into this company. Our piece is a known piece so we know it's title. But I am extremely curious about the label, the company, and the black and white face that is on the label. Thank you.
0 Replies