Pharmacy gave me the wrong medicine - Recourse? Lawsuit?

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 08:43 am
I am a part time caretaker for a person with a disability. I take care or this person's medications from ordering to administering them. Within the past several months the Pharmacy has:
1. Placed the wrong labels on the prescription bottles then corrected it.
2. Did the same thing again but switched the dosage and time given (which I received) They settled out of court for this mistake and said it wouldn't happen again.
3. Now, again, I received the wrong meds in a bottle labled with something else.

Is it time to get a lawyer? What do you think? I know some of you and I hashed this out last time. Please be respectful in your responses. I'll respect your opinions.
(If you feel you have to resort to name-calling, please do not respond, it only displays ignorance in front of others on this site)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 10,485 • Replies: 19
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 08:48 am
@Lawabider,
Has any actual harm been done?
Lawabider

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 08:58 am
@contrex,
Although the disabled person did not actually take the medication and it was caught as I checked the meds in front of the drug store before going home, the harm that was done was the stress and duress of having to constantly fear this pharmacy isn't practicing fail-safe procedures in the dispencing of meds appropriately and competently. We would change pharmacies but this is a rural area and the nearest one is 35 miles away. This pharmacy is only 10 miles away. So the only damages would be "punitive" which are damages awarded by a court against a defendant as a deterrent or punishment to redress an egregious wrong perpetrated by the defendant.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 09:07 am
@Lawabider,
It seems like you're set to seek "punitive" damages. You know already that
this particular pharmacy is making mistakes on a repetitive basis, why not
write a letter to the medical board or licensing board of this pharmacist?

There are plenty of online pharmacies (good, legitimate ones) who can fill
the prescription and send it to you. Why not take this route?
Lawabider

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 09:12 am
@CalamityJane,
I am going to look into your suggestions. Thank you.
sullyfish6

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 01:45 pm
But surely, you must report this pharmacy to its licensing agency. Many other people who are not so astute and knowledgable about medicines could be harmed. Advocate for others.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 01:52 pm
@Lawabider,
weren't you going to delete your account?

http://able2know.org/topic/133434-2#post-3682623

Why you've returned to the pharmacy that provided the wrong meds previously puzzles me. If I were the person you worked for, I'd be looking for a new caregiver since you're more interested in avoiding an extra 25 mile drive than attempting to provide good care.
Lawabider

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 04:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks for the reminder. I have found another similar website that isn't so "clickish."
Give me a day or two. Thanks!
0 Replies

Lawabider

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 04:10 pm
@ehBeth,
Unfortunately my client doesn't want to spend the extra money for gas for me to drive to the other Pharmacy. This is the only place nearby. The meds are double checked by both of us anyway, unlike the Pharmacy who we entrust to do this. Another reason we as a people need to take resonsibility into our own hands instead of entrust our government agencies to do things for us.
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 07:49 am
@Lawabider,
Lawabider wrote:

Unfortunately my client doesn't want to spend the extra money for gas for me to drive to the other Pharmacy.

please do not ever take care of someone I love.

This lack of simple caring could kill someone. Especially if you are working with someones medicine.
Quote:
Another reason we as a people need to take resonsibility into our own hands instead of entrust our government agencies to do things for us.

I doubt, seriously, that a few extra miles will make a big difference for you when it comes to pharmacies. There is a bit of humanity missing if you will forgo spending a gallon or two of gas to ensure your 'patients' ' health and medicine. Really. So stop the ' lets take responsibility into our own hands' because you sure as **** dont wanna do it.

But, let that show ignorance if you will.

I absolutely agree this pharmacy SHOULD have this brought to their personal attention and maybe legal attention. I agree, I agree , I agree!
But damn man, lay up on the " wont pay me" idea will you? You are human yes? Older people sometimes have to live on a very small means when it comes to their income. You are not a martyr. A few miles will not kill you. Nor will finding an online pharmacy that may deliver by mail, or finding a pharmacy close to where YOU live so that YOU can just swing by on your way to and from work and pick up what is needed. Or speaking to this clients doctor about the issue and asking them/him/her for pharmacies to use instead of having to do the foot work yourself. Personal responsibility.

There are other options here besides feeding the victim mentality of " they keep doing this to me" .
Stand up to them yes.
report this yes. Please do. but sheesh.. what ARE you looking for here?
djjd62

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 07:59 am
@shewolfnm,
just give me money
that's what i want
what i want
just give me mon-uh-uh-oney
that's what i want
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 05:20 pm
The poster is either a wag or a nutty crank.

No harm, no foul, no verdict.
Lawabider

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 06:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
It is a shame that some members such as Finn dAbuzz, Ahbeth, and Greenwitch have to resort to name-calling, abusive language, personal attacks, and swear words in response to my posts. This is a sad place indeed to post.
0 Replies

Lawabider

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 06:28 am
@shewolfnm,
It is a shame that some members have to resort to name-calling, abusive language, personal attacks, and swear words in response to my posts. This is a sad place indeed to post.
djjd62

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 06:33 am
@Lawabider,
hey, i kind of made fun of you too, how come i don't get a shout out Crying or Very sad
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 07:07 am
@Lawabider,
you are being called on your **** and all you can do is whine

Laughing

priceless
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 07:07 am
@djjd62,
you didnt say ****, or any other four letter word thats why
djjd62

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 07:41 am
@shewolfnm,
fuckshitpisscunt

Razz
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:34 am
@Lawabider,
Lawabider wrote:

We would change pharmacies but this is a rural area and the nearest one is 35 miles away.

Express Scripts, Walgreens,CVS, Drugstore.com...etc all provide excellent online service for the ordering of prescription medications. why not try one of them?

By the way, you should be checking the medication at the prescription desk in the pharmacy, and not outside the drugstore. Once you walk away with the med, the problem is YOURS....
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:40 am
@Lawabider,
Lawabider wrote:

Another reason we as a people need to take resonsibility into our own hands ...

If you were a responsible person, you'd wakeup to the fact that the year is 2009 and submit your Rx to a drugstore like Walgreens online.
0 Replies