If the Beatles weren't cute, they would have been just another band.

roger

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 03:20 pm
@ebrown p,
Possibly, your definition of cute is less than universal
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 03:20 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
I do agree though that brilliance + cuteness will get you further than brilliance + hideousness

I agree qualitatively, but I'm unsure how far this argument gets you quantitatively. In my elementary and early high school for example, the biggest band was probably ABBA. They looked okay, but not great. Especially the guys' looks were pretty mediocre. Although their music wasn't quite on the same level as the Beatles', I'm pretty sure it's the music that got them where they were.

PS: Have you tried ABBA on the Sozlet? Their music just might work on her.
parados

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 04:04 pm
@kickycan,
Quote:
I believe, because of how insane the reaction was to them because of their looks,

Ok.. that explains Manson's obsession with The White Album...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 04:17 pm
@kickycan,
You're nuts.
panzade

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 04:18 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
You're nuts.

...and bored.
That's my boy!
aidan

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 02:57 am
@panzade,
I like the Beatles musically - but none of them fit my definition of cute in terms of looks.
I think Paul has always looked a little wide-eyed and vacant, Ringo is simply goofy looking, and John and George (the two I'd find most appealing if I had to choose) look cerebral and moody rather than 'cute' (a word I'd never use for either of them).

If looks were necessary - why'd the stones make it?
http://www.opentoengland.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/rolling-stones-the-photo-xxl-the-rolling-stones-6214887.jpg Why Dylan? http://chicinparis.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/bob-dylan.jpgWhy Neil Young?http://www.morethings.com/music/neil_young/neil-young-100.jpg

I think 'cute' in music - serious music- is more detrimental than helpful. No one takes you seriously if you're 'cute'.
And if you're really handsome or beautiful- you have to first prove that you're more than just a pretty face before anyone who's serious about music will take your music seriously.
panzade

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 08:14 am
@aidan,
Quote:
If looks were necessary - why'd the stones make it?

That just about settles it aidan.

I like this quote from Geoff Emerick, their engineer
Quote:
The Beatles were extremely creative artists, and the combination of their four personalities gave rise to a rare studio environment that none of them could later duplicate individually, nor has any succeeding group recaptured it. More than anything else, it is the lasting quality of the Beatles' music that accounts for their continued magnetism. "It's the songwriting," Emerick agrees. "Like Cole Porter and Gershwin - it's just there forever. I don't think we'll be playing Oasis' stuff in 30 years, but we'll be playing Gershwin and Cole Porter and Lennon-McCartney."
aidan

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 01:29 pm
@panzade,
I made a BIG mistake - the Beatles WERE cute...even Ringo looks like a sulky little boy -witness them in this video:

They all had beautiful hair (and that was before blow dryers and probably even conditioner)

But I still think their music outshines their cuteness.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:24 pm
the real reason the Beatles finally took off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybI34Z_ZHbo&feature=fvw
0 Replies

longryder

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 03:34 pm
@kickycan,
the mugs who became the Rolling Stones proves your theory wrong mate.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 11:00 am
@kickycan,
I reckon it doesn't really matter if you are hideous or average looking, if you can play rock and roll then the girls will love ya!
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 11:21 am
This is 100% wrong. In my opinion, they were the greatest composers in at least the past century or two. Also, although it's not nearly as important or rare, they were superb performers. I want to be very clear that I am only talking about the Beatles and not the solo careers. Before Sgt. Pepper existed, they had already shown more musical talent than anyone else living possessed with compositions such as:

1. No Reply
2. It Won't Be Long
3. All I've Got to Do
4. I've Just Seen a Face
5. And I Love Her
6. Thank You Girl
7. I'll Get You
8. I'm Looking Through You
9. This Boy
10. All My Loving
11. You Can't Do That
12. I Should Have Known Better
13. If I Fell
14. Not a Second Time
15. Do You Want to Know a Secret

The list goes on and on. In addition, during this period, Lennon gave away "Bad to Me" and McCartney gave away "World Without Love" to other groups as favors. You don't give away songs of this caliber unless you have an almost unlimited fountain of timeless classics. Have you even heard any of these songs?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 01:09 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

yes, verily.
I heard they stole a lot of their songs from George Martin, their producer and arranger

He didn't write any of their songs. He sometimes made suggestions, as a producer is supposed to.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 01:16 pm
@Thomas,
My point was not that hideousness is a career-stopper, but that if two people are equally talented but one's cute and one's hideous, chances are the cute one will get further.

I'll try ABBA, they were never on my radar but she might like 'em. She seems to have settled, for now, into something she calls "outlaw country" -- old-fashioned country, with an emphasis on stories. (Johnny Cash, old Merle Haggard [!], John Prine, etc.)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 03:52 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
Quote:
if you can play rock and roll then the girls will love ya!

At one time it didn't have to be rock. Duke Ellington used to tell interviewers that, as an adolescent, he was much more interested in sports than in music. It was only after puberty, when he discovered that the chicks dig musicians much more than jocks, that he decided to make music his career.

Good caeer move.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 09:04 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

You're nuts.

That seems to be the prevailing opinion on this thread. Ha! As we all know, in an insane world, a sane man must appear insane.

By the way, I'm not saying they weren't talented. I'm saying those little screaming girls are what made them big enough to be noticed at all. I once saw an interview with Paul and Ringo, where, in answering a question about how big they'd expected to be when they first started out, Ringo responded, "we thought we'd be big in Liverpool."

And without the cuteness, I am convinced that that's exactly what would have happened.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 09:13 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

dlowan wrote:

You're nuts.

That seems to be the prevailing opinion on this thread. Ha! As we all know, in an insane world, a sane man must appear insane.

By the way, I'm not saying they weren't talented. I'm saying those little screaming girls are what made them big enough to be noticed at all. I once saw an interview with Paul and Ringo, where, in answering a question about how big they'd expected to be when they first started out, Ringo responded, "we thought we'd be big in Liverpool."

And without the cuteness, I am convinced that that's exactly what would have happened.

I strongly suspect that you know very little of their work. How many of the songs on my list above are you familiar with?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 10:16 pm
@kickycan,
http://www.infoniac.com/science/it-takes-10,000-hours-of-practice-to-become-a-genius.html

They put in those 10,000 hours in strip clubs and dive bars as teenagers. This was a divine combination of perspiration and inspiration.

http://www.essortment.com/all/historyoftheb_rmdq.htm

And they traded in their dreamboat drummer for Ringo.

Quote:
Many of the groups from England, dubbed The Mersey Sound, were featured in Mersey Beat Magazine and played on the radio. The Beatles kept plugging away at fame. Meanwhile, a decision was made by the group to drop Pete Best as drummer. Although Pete had the classic good looks that drew female fans, the group wanted Ringo to be their drummer. By the time the Beatles recorded Love Me Do in 1962, Ringo was the official drummer, however, studio musicians were brought in for the drumming on Love Me Do. Fans of their live performances were disappointed about the change of drummers and for a long time a chant of “Pete Forever, Ringo Never” accompanied their act.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 10:20 pm
@DrewDad,
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gzuK9jsKG-g/R7IGa9zTMXI/AAAAAAAAD1E/saoK6r_-qEU/s400/petebest.jpg

http://secretinsidegirl.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/beatles_ringo_starr_1964.jpg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:11 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

kickycan wrote:

dlowan wrote:

You're nuts.

I strongly suspect that you know very little of their work. How many of the songs on my list above are you familiar with?

I strongly suspect that you know very little about how the music business works. Have you seen the show, "American Idol" at all? I know every one of those songs, some of them I can even play on the guitar.