More Overhang Questions

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 10:50 pm
Howdy all,

I've been following a previous thread entitled “overhang questions,” but it never really seemed to get where I thought it was headed …

It's a very long story, but we got a good deal on a set of roof trusses a while back (the truss maker got the order wrong). We've built a small foundation on wooden pilings (shortened utility poles) and are now considering using the roof trusses to speed things up.

The trusses I'm referring to are 24 feet long and 9:12 pitch (10 finks and 2 gables). The foundation is 10 feet by 12 feet, which brings me to the point: If we install the trusses over the short span of the building -- the 10 foot span " how much unsupported overhang is safe?

The idea is to “shift” the trusses so that 3 feet of truss overhangs one wall and 11 feet overhangs the other wall. Naturally, the 11 foot overhang will be supported (by a post and beam system in this case); therefore, it’s the 3 foot overhang that concerns me.

Given what I’ve described here, does 3 feet of unsupported truss overhang seem possible?

Sketch of proposed roof below (with any luck) … Thanks for your time.

https://publish.comcast.net/modal_windows/file_details/xsdux_Q3Jrl1oweZZRpGyPUE8RugWXD5-wE_Czs-Y5p5fhAEHsf9JAg5PJupuBbXYRxc-O975Yv3-2da-O_2KccRtt4piYp-IUCw1zTmt4a-kjB2EAZTquCcgsvIPkuA7_ksWybq6YaS2PzALTJmpQ,pwpimages-^-Able2Know%20J-Drawing%20082309.JPG,pictures,23576,1251087598,JPEG%20image,Yes,pictures/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,594 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 01:35 pm
@Timberwright,
I think it depends on where you are. 3' doesn't sound like much,but if you get 3'of snow on top it might be too heavy to support. Local building code will tell you for sure. Are these 2x4 trusses? or 2x6? how about reinforcing? like plywood nailed to one side of the truss past the support wall? I don't know, just thinking through the keyboard
panzade

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 06:20 am
@Joethewaterguy,
I think you're on the right track joe...

A vertical 2x4 right above the exterior wall point(in the truss) is essential. And maybe a plywood "gusset" on one side...but the best info will come from the truss engineer at the truss plant that built them. Give them a call.
0 Replies