I think my cat is watching me.

roger

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 11:21 pm
Maybe not, though. I noticed a few days ago (after a lifetime filled with the little fluff brains) that their pupils were always centered in their heads. In fact, I bought a cat toy today. One of the feathery things on a string. Now, these are old cats, but they did pay attention for a little while. Not once did their eyes move withing their sockets. Sometimes they would turn their heads a little, but it really looked like they were following along without moving either head or eyeballs.

Would you all check out Little Lucifer and let me know what you come up with. I think I might have just made an important discovery.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,732 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 11:23 pm
@roger,
My cat is watching you too Roger.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 11:27 pm
My cat is watching roger and sglass. Be afraid.
roger

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:06 am
@glitterbag,
My senior cat is crosseyed. He's watching both of you - without moving his eyes.

I'm really interested in having a few people observe, or just watch for a while, and see if they can confirm my own observation.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:11 am
@roger,
not sure 'bout yours, but my cats talk with their eyes.

Stinky rarely makes a sound, but rules the house.

bubba likes the sound of her own voice, but says little that means anything.
roger

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:53 am
@Rockhead,
I kept a very young Himalaya kitten for someone for a week. It was horrible. She crouched down, and glared at Spooky almost the whole time. He was throughly intimidated.

Okay, I put it like this; when they talk, do their eyes move within their sockets.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:11 am
I am going to observe Rocky and let you know my findings, but I don't think I've ever seen my cat's pupils move side to side. Are you saying your cat is watching you out of the corner of his eye? No way, dude. You need to step awaaaay from the bong...
Reyn

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:22 am
@roger,
Yes, cats move their pupils, as well as their head to follow you.

Look at the position of our cat's (Kira) eyes, as I take a photo.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h246/Reyn2244/IMG_1949.jpg
kickycan

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:27 pm
I don't see anything conclusive about that picture. It looks like the cat is looking off in the same direction his head is pointed to me.

I do know that dogs can and do look at things out of the corner of their eye. When I was a kid, we used to tease our dog while he was eating. He hated it. I know for sure that he used to always look out of the corner of his eyes while eating to make sure we weren't making any false moves at him when we were around.
roger

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 02:19 pm
@kickycan,
No, I don't think either has ever looked at anything out of the corner of their eyes. Once I became aware of that, I had to ask. Keep an eye on Rocky for awhile, and let me know what you come up with.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 02:23 pm
@Reyn,
Could be, Reyn, and thanks for the effort. They're certainly not perfectly centered, and the photo is giving me an idea. Even in sunlight, a cat's pupils run almost completely from top to bottom of the eye. If they look sideways, the upper and lower extremes are going to become occluded. Maybe they don't like that.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 02:51 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

I don't see anything conclusive about that picture. It looks like the cat is looking off in the same direction his head is pointed to me.

Negatory, my dear Kicky. Look at the left pupil in relation to where it is within the eye. She's obviously looking out the corner of her eyes. Wink

In addition, you can clearly see that her head is pointed moreso in the opposite direction, and definitely not facing you directly.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 03:17 pm
I tried but my cat just ran away. I think I remember her moving her eyes when tracking a laser pointer or cat toy though.
roger

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 03:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
But, now that the idea has come up, you'll be noticing. I know their eyes move, of course, but not very much it seems. I didn't notice this at all till a few days ago.
dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 04:10 pm
@roger,
I think Miranda does both...but moves her head for big movements of whatever she is watching.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 05:05 pm
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/funny-pictures-cat-is-a-nun.jpg
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 08:20 pm
I've never thought too much about it - but Possum surely watches me like a hawk!

Of course your cat is watching you Roger!
roger

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 08:26 pm
@margo,
Sure 'nuff? Sometimes, his head is towards me, and pupils centered, but I wonder where his attention really is. Even Nermal, who is not crosseyed.
dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 07:42 am
@roger,
Is there much else to look at where he is?
roger

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 12:12 pm
@dlowan,
Oh, thanks a lot, Deb. Thanks a lot.