Baby stands on her toes

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 03:01 pm
Is it proper for a 10 months old that has not started crawling to stand on her toes while holding unto something. is there need to be worried?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 4,474 • Replies: 11
No top replies

aidan

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 03:14 pm
@Onyemachukwu,
That's impressive - she sounds strong. I wouldn't be worried at all.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 03:15 pm
@Onyemachukwu,
Lots of babies stand on their toes...they will even walk on their toes once they start walking. Nothing to worry about. It is just part of learning and growing...perfectly normal!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 03:20 pm
You've started a lot of threads about your baby and its developement.

I have a 2 questions for you.

Do you have a doctor or clinic you take your child to?
Have you asked any doctor or nurse these questions?
Onyemachukwu

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 04:31 pm
@chai2,
Yes i have a doctor and i do ask him all these but i'm a very busy woman. Most times i'm always at the office. So i don't always see him. But the ques i ask here are what i can ask a friend comfortably, so i didn't see anything wrong in it. Or is this not the right place to seek for advice?
Green Witch

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 04:51 pm
@Onyemachukwu,
You are welcome to ask questions about anything and we have some very experienced parents here to help you. However, I think Chai is asking something that many of us were wondering. Some people come here because they cannot afford a doctor or live in a country where it is difficult to get medical services. Some of your questions indicate there might be some medical problems with your baby and we are not qualified to take the place of a doctor. I understand you are busy, but I can't imagine, as a mother, you would put your work life ahead of your child's welfare. Some of what you are describing makes me think you should also consult with a professional to be sure your baby has the best possible chance of health and happiness. I assure you that we are happy to help, but no one can take the place of a family doctor.
NickFun

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 04:57 pm
I'm pushing 50 and I still stand on my toes while hanging onto something. I'll stop doing that now.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 06:18 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

You are welcome to ask questions about anything and we have some very experienced parents here to help you. However, I think Chai is asking something that many of us were wondering. Some people come here because they cannot afford a doctor or live in a country where it is difficult to get medical services. Some of your questions indicate there might be some medical problems with your baby and we are not qualified to take the place of a doctor. I understand you are busy, but I can't imagine, as a mother, you would put your work life ahead of your child's welfare. Some of what you are describing makes me think you should also consult with a professional to be sure your baby has the best possible chance of health and happiness. I assure you that we are happy to help, but no one can take the place of a family doctor.

That's exactly what I meant.
You can ask whatever you want.

But it does seem that no matter how busy you are, at some point you take your child to a doctor for checkups, and would have asked all these questions at the same time.

You say you have been to a doctor, and have asked him these questions.

What did the doctor say?
Onyemachukwu

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 06:53 pm
@chai2,
He keeps telling me not to worry. I ask because i want to know if there are mothers out there who has experienced it. I'm a first time mom and she is a premie. U can imagine what i'm going thru and how sacred i always get when i notice anything. I don't even know the one that is normal or not. So pls just be there for me.
FreeDuck

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 10:24 pm
@Onyemachukwu,
I wondered if she might have been a preemie, given the questions. There are lots of parents here with similar experience and most of us still remember how difficult motherhood is the first time around -- not knowing what is normal or what to expect. And even with all of the information available, it is still difficult to feel satisfied. The first year is such a tough one and babies grow and change so fast it can be hard to keep up. Since we dont know much about you or your baby other than your one sentence posts, many of us are hesitant to offer any sort of advice. Tell us more, if you can.

Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:05 am
@Onyemachukwu,
Of the observations you've made the two that would give me pause would be the fact that she doesn't respond to her name and she isn't reaching for toys.
The fact that she's not doing these things doesn't necessarily mean anything - but yes- I'd keep a watchful eye on those two behaviors.

When your doctor tells you not to worry - you should respond- 'But I am worried. Is there anything you can tell me to help me NOT worry?'
It's good to have a pediatrician with whom you can be totally honest and feel able to voice your concerns so that he or she takes them seriously. If you have one that doesn't respect or address your concerns about your child - you should get another one. They're working for you - you're paying them. Communication in this working relationship is of the utmost importance.
They see little snapshots of the child once a month or once every two months. You're with the baby every day. The pediatrician should be asking you to tell him or her what you've observed and what your concerns or questions are.

I would not be worried that she isn't yet crawling or that she pulls herself up and stands on her toes. Some babies never crawl and lots of babies stand on their toes.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 10:28 am
@Onyemachukwu,
Onyemachukwu - if you are seeing your dr. for regular visits during your babies first year and he is telling you not to worry - I wouldn't. My boys were twins and a bit premature. They did not sit well until they were 9 months...did not crawl until they were almost a year and didn't walk until they were 18 mos. old. - well behind most of the children their age. They are now 9 years old and they are fine. Brilliant even - if I do say so myself. Wink

One of mine would not reach for anything either. We would place it just out of his reach and he would look at it - consider it...and then proceed just to sit and watch everything - rather than move. It's his personality. When he was ready and the object out of his reach was interesting enough...he moved. He is a great little baseball player now and the fastest runner on his team.

You cannot measure your childs motor skills or verbal skills by other children. As long as your Doctor says not to worry - I would not. You cannot take the child to the Dr. every time you have a question about a growth issue. You can call the nurse and she will field the question for your Dr...asking him if she thinks there is a problem and suggesting you come in, if there is a possibility. At least that is the way mine works.

There are many children that do not crawl very much and will take up walking before they have crawled long. So the fact that yours is standing and up on her toes is not concerning to me.

Raising babies - especially your first does come with a lot of worry. It is nice to get reassurance from others...and of course it's okay to ask questions here. Most people here are just very thorough before they give uneducated advice. Which is very wise.
0 Replies