Letty

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 10:45 am
Shocked

http://www.ciwf.co.uk/Trust/FF/farmfacts%20pate%20de%20foie%20gras.htm

Hope I have this link right. Sorta shook me up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,078 • Replies: 22
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 10:53 am
why I won't eat it.

make my own, sometimes, from free range chook livers, though. tastes good.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 10:57 am
Deb, I realize that animals get "done in" to feed our bellies, but this is too much. What the hell are free range chook livers? Razz
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 11:15 am
LOL! the livers of free range chickens - ie critters not tortured and tormented all their lives for our gustatory pleasure - and without all the chemicals and crap pushed into battery raised chickens. They still get deaded, of course, though.

And you don't wanna know about veal, either...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 11:33 am
Oh, gotcha. Smile No, I don't want to know about little baby anythings. Crying or Very sad I used to cry when my dad put worms on the hook to catch a fish.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 11:50 am
MMMMMM, Foie Gras!!,..Not trying to be disrespectful,..but I've known how they do this for a long time,..and it'll never deter me from enjoying it though. It's just too damn good!!!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:03 pm
Well, Jerry, honey. You ain't being disrespectful to me, just them ducks and geeses Smile

Sigh--I love rack of lamb, too. As I said, people will eat dead stuff, and that's not the prob. It's the way the stuff get deaded, as Deb says.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:23 pm
It truly breaks my heart to see this stuff :-(
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:38 pm
Montana, you be tender hearted, too.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:41 pm
Tender hearted? Hm, makes me think of food. But this is not my mother language!!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:43 pm
In a huge way Letty. Many people think my heart is too tender, but I don't agree. My heart litteraly hurts when I see stories like this one.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:44 pm
urs, Great to see you again. With a figure like yours, you can have any food you want. Razz
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:47 pm
Hi Letty! Thanks Embarrassed

I did not use the term 'mother tongue'. We eat the strangest things in Germany....

But no - no goose liver for me. I've seen too many of these pictures. I love to eat all kinds of seafood, though. It seems that fish do not suffer as cows do. Why is that?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:52 pm
Urs, my son tells me that fish do not have a nervous system. Speaking of tongue. Reminds me of the story of a man in a restaurant who said Yuk at a tongue sandwich. "I don't want anything that came out of a cow's mouth. Give me an egg sandwich." Smile

Montana, I feel the same way. Looks like the Brits do as well.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 10:08 pm
I think the above story is revolting, but where do you draw the line? I was eating liver and onions one day when my wife remarked that the animals liver is the organ that processes it's urine.

That may not be strictly true, I honestly dont know, but it was enough for me to give liver a wide berth from then on.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 11:53 pm
I remember the times back in school (and that's more than 35 years ago) that we started/joined campaigns against foie gras.

(Just thinking about it: must have been ealier than we boycotted South African products.)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 07:32 am
Good morning all. I think the point of the article is that there must be other ways to produce a good pate without causing such pain to our feathered friends.

Kev, I think the liver's function is to remove all the poisons from the blood stream, at least in humans. Of course we can't just stop eating stuff just because of the fact that animals are killed.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 10:13 am
And of course there are other ways, Letty. However, it takes longer and it costs more money... And here we go again...

I talked to Stefan about this topic. Here in our small town it is pretty easy for us to buy meat where you know where the cattle lived. And how! So if I buy meat I rather pay a bit more and go to a good local butcher shop and not the supermarket.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 10:34 am
Well, urs, that's one big problem here in America. The supermarkets are predominant. I love salmon fillet, but I noticed that the last that I got had color added. Shocked Guess they wanted to make it look pink.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 10:44 am
Letty, yes, I do appreciate that we still have the small stores here - at least in towns like Balingen. Fish - well that's a bit difficult here also. For that we go to Sweden...
0 Replies