Old TV Series That Make You Feel Nostalgic When You Think of Them

dyslexia

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 06:23 pm
@Merry Andrew,
if I remember correctly, chuck was a former pro baseball player.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 06:47 pm
@George,
Me, I semi hate a lot of the series noted as nostalgic. I guess I'm tough to nostalge. Hopalong Cassidy, the show, which I apparently liked enough that my mother sewed me a cowgirl skirt.. The good part about that as we had some time after that for her to teach me to sew.

And others, like Mash, yes, yes, but I'm not actually nostalgic. Which brings up, what is nostalgia, and what has it to do with age?

Meantime, I'd say I wouldn't mind seeing Huntly and Brinkley one more time.

The probable key memory was that at an early time, my father came home with the film for Bambi. (8 mm? 16 mm?) 8. That would have been 1950. I do remember Bambi, the discomfort, and the sweet parts. And our apartment, and the seeing of it. So, nostalgia.

On Howdy Doody, I was in the studio during a show once, as it was in the rko building. I'm not nostalgic. And I was not a sophisticated kid. I just didn't care.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:10 pm
@dyslexia,
Former pro athlete, yeah. Was it baseball? Or, with his height, basketball?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:13 pm
William Bendix on the Life of Riley. Jackie Gleason originated the role, but Bendix made the series.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:16 pm
I missed pretty much all of the above t.v. shows not living in the USA at the time.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:17 pm
@dyslexia,
TV was one of the few pastimes I got to enjoy in those days.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:28 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Former pro athlete, yeah. Was it baseball? Or, with his height, basketball?

I think Conners played both baseball and basketball on a pro level.

[edit]
Yup - this is from wiki:

During his army service, Connors moonlighted as a professional basketball player. Following his military discharge in 1946, he joined the newly-formed Boston Celtics of the Basketball Association of America. Connors left the team for spring training with Major League Baseball's Brooklyn Dodgers. He played for numerous minor league teams before joining the Dodgers in 1949, for whom he played in just one game; and the Chicago Cubs in 1951, for whom he played in 66 games as a first baseman and occasional pinch hitter.[1] In 1952 he was sent to the minor leagues again, to play for the Cubs' top farm team, the Los Angeles Angels. Connors was also drafted by the Chicago Bears, but never suited-up for the team. He is one of only 12 athletes in the history of American professional sports to have played for both Major League Baseball and in the NBA. He is also credited as the first professional basketball player to break a backboard. During warm-ups in the first-ever Boston Celtics game on November 5, 1946, at Boston Arena, Connors took a shot which caught the front of the rim and shattered an improperly installed glass backboard.[1]

0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:31 pm
Let's see who remembers these Westerns:

The Guns of Will Sonnet
The Outcasts
Alias Smith and Jones

MAN! I loved TV back then!
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:42 pm
@snood,
I know 2. Can't recall the Outcasts.
snood

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know, edgar - seems like that is an obscure reference to just about everybody.

It was a show with Don Murray as Earl Corey - a former slaveowner, and Otis Young as Jemal David - a former slave, teamed up as bounty hunters in the old west. It was ahead of its time as far as race issues, I think. And besides that, it was a very good western.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:54 pm
@snood,
Odd. I know almost all the westerns, but missed that one.

One of my favorite series starred Brian Keith in The Westerner. It only lasted a season or less.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:00 pm
Power Puff Girls

ok, seriously...Flipper, It Takes a Thief (I had a mad crush on Robert Wagner), someone said Crusader Rabbit.

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:30 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

if I remember correctly, chuck was a former pro baseball player.

Both basketball and baseball
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:31 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Let's see who remembers these Westerns:

The Guns of Will Sonnet
The Outcasts
Alias Smith and Jones

MAN! I loved TV back then!

"The Guns of Will Sonnet" was a lot of fun. No brag, just fact.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:47 pm
I Dream of Jeannie
and of course,
Bewitched
Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:54 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

I Dream of Jeannie
and of course,
Bewitched

Yes, I had fun watching those, too. Corny, but good fun, along with stuff like Gilligan's Island.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 10:04 pm
@snood,
You want obscure references? I'll give ya obscure references. Anybody remember a western series that ran just one season and starred Robert Culp as a Texas Ranger? It was called Trackdown. Now there's a reason why this series should be remembered. Another western series, which has already been mantioned on this thread, was originally spun off Trackdown. Anyone know which series and who was the star who went on to eclipse Culp by a long, long shot?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:14 am
I remember Trackdown, but don't know the spinoff. Sounds like a vehicle for Steve McQueen.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 05:28 am
Space 1999 (I remember arguing with my sister over which channel we would watch, and that show wasn't even that good) Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 05:41 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Space 1999 (I remember arguing with my sister over which channel we would watch, and that show wasn't even that good) Smile

That reminds me. My brother and I argued over whether to watch Peter Gunne or some other show. I argued against it, but we watched anyway. Then he didn't want to see it after I got hooked on it.
0 Replies