Why do so many people claim to be genius?

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 08:17 pm
You have probably wondered why so many people claim to be a genius on this site.

Id like to hear your opinions on this matter.

My personal opinion is that people in this website wish to be in the higher echelons of the intelligence society. The question is why?

In my mind males that say this on this website wish to establish dominance over other people in essence the better human.

Why is humanity, imparticularly males, motivated to do this?

I think yet again this roots back to primal instincts from long ago. Yet again which is stronger in males, that the male in question must be seen as the most powerful or whatever any other equivalent of "power" may be (unsure about the english here).

The fact that "nature" made us this way, means to most people it has a use, but does it have a use? i think it might. My opinion in question is progression. What are your thoughts on this?

fresco

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:17 pm
@Ogitoc groe sum,
Quote:
You have probably wondered why so many people claim to be a genius on this site.

Gordon,
Welcome to A2K. I have been here for years and there have been no such claims in my experience except perhaps jokingly on an IQ discussion thread.
Ogitoc groe sum

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:22 pm
@fresco,
I agree, I think the fact that so many have claimed on IQ threads obviously means that they feel that they should be in the top tiers of the intelligence table. Although i do not believe in IQ. And besides IQ is nothing without achievement.
Ogitoc groe sum

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:26 pm
@fresco,
However what i was meaning though. Well yes mainly the ones which involve intellectual measurements threads. Almost everyone claims to be a genius.

However it isnt just restricted to that. I find it commonly in my school and the local theatre i act at, im absolutely certain its a way of saying "im the best out of us here."
roger

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 12:52 am
@Ogitoc groe sum,
It's because the rest of you are so dumb.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 01:25 pm
I got a question...or was it an answer....whatever....I got one right on Jeopardy once...it made me feel very powerful...I put on a sweater vest and laughed at my friends for being simply adaiquate....adiiekit....adyi....eh...average.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 01:31 pm
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Oscar Levant
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 12:26 am
@Ogitoc groe sum,
The people at this site were participants from Abuzz created by New York Times And Boston News or something. These two cities have Ivy League schools like Columbia University, Harvard University and as it is online anyone from anywhere can join. However, Abuzz was not supervised so it deteriorated to the point that spamming was the way of debate. It was closed down. The creator(s) of A2K was one of the designers of Abuzz. Word spread so a lot of those former Abuzzers came on board. As you can see an elite group had formed. Myself I am from Densa. I am like a bulldog. I am tenacious. I might not be the brightest bulb but I just put in my two bits and leave it at that. Don't be intimidated.
roger

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 12:29 am
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

The creator(s) of A2K was one of the designers of Abuzz.

Total falsehood.
talk72000

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 12:32 am
@roger,
I was guessing. Embarrassed
oolongteasup

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 12:37 am
@Ogitoc groe sum,
Quote:
a genius on this site

congratulations you are a true genius

the others are liars plotting against you
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 01:58 am
@talk72000,
Then I apologize. That was really quite rude of me.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 06:04 am
@Ogitoc groe sum,
You speak as if "dominance" is a bad thing.

Someone has to be running things-- don't you think that geniuses are a better choice than stupid people as far as who is in charge?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 06:19 am
@Ogitoc groe sum,
Ogitoc groe sum wrote:

I agree, I think the fact that so many have claimed on IQ threads obviously means that they feel that they should be in the top tiers of the intelligence table. Although i do not believe in IQ. And besides IQ is nothing without achievement.

I think your premise is wrong. I don't see people claiming to be geniuses here. Never. Even the folks who might actually qualify don't claim to be geniuses. I'd go further and say that such a claim would instantly make someone a target. Genius is probably used sarcastically much more than in its original sense.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 08:53 am
@Ogitoc groe sum,
Ogitoc groe sum wrote:
Why do so many people claim to be genius?

If you were a genius, you wouldn't need it explained.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 09:47 pm
@roger,
Yes, I do make things or jump to conclusion. I do need reality check as well. Thanks for that.
0 Replies

oceanic

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 07:57 pm
@Ogitoc groe sum,
People love what they percieve as good for themselves and dislike what they percieve as being bad for them.

Being beautiful, strong, intelligent, healthy, rich are all good things, so it stands to reason that people will want to be in that group, instead of the other group of being ugly, weak, stupid, unhealthy, poor, or even in the middle group being mediocre.

Add to this human beings incredible ability to lie to themlseves and live in a delusional state, you have your answer.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 09:54 pm
@oceanic,
I personally have never met a single individual who has ever declared her or himself to be a genius.

Then again, the academic circles in which I found myself in the past, modesty is kosher and egotistical maniacs aren't welcomed. Most people that I'm including in this bunch are sincere in their modesty as well.

And many welcomes to you oceanic to our humble a2k forum.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:06 pm
So far, I have no idea what y'all are talkin about. I have never known anyone on these threads to say that he/she is a "genius" except, perhaps, in a facetious manner. It's true that this site (A2k) was founded by refugees from Abuzz before that NYT-Boston Globe sponsored site folded up. Many of the senior members on this forum are Abuzz alumni. That means absolutely nothing, however. Abuzz was not a particularly "genius"-oriented site any more than this one is.

The only true genius, a man who has an IQ up there in the same league with Einstein (that I know of, anyway) on this site is Gus Ratzenhofer. And he has been strangely absent (or, at least, quiet and quiescent) lately. Anybody seen Gus around? I miss his words of wisdom.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:35 pm
The only true genius, a man who has an IQ up there in the same league with Einstein (that I know of, anyway) on this site is Gus Ratzenhofer.

????????????