Baking Soda--Too Much Baking Soda?

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 01:06 pm
Mr. Noddy is fond of gadgets. When Arm & Hammer started marketing little shakers of scented baking soda to sprinkle on the rugs before vacuuming, Mr. Noddy bought little shakers of scented baking soda and sprinkled them on the rugs before he vacuumed.

Vacuuming is his contribution to the housekeeping. We have a man-sized vacuum cleaner of such power that it accounts for Ross Pirot's Great Sucking Noise and probably all of the socks that are missing from your drier.

I convinced him that if he must sprinkle baking soda, to use the unscented, unsweetened sort that comes in five pound boxes.

He probably goes through a five pound box of baking soda ever 2-2 12 months (and goodness knows how many vacuum cleaner bags).

His addiction to sprinkling baking soda also means that I have to dust afterhe vacuums which is not always convenient.

Is the supposed deodorizing action of baking soda powerful enough to warrent the fuss and expense?

Opinions are welcome--research even more so.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,743 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 01:11 pm
Well, I don't know how much my research counts but when I worked as a vacuum cleaner salesman (selling those huge ones) I learned that most such products destroy the carpet more than they help. It makes carpets sag.

But it sounds like he has fun.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 01:22 pm
Either variety is probably at it's best if you actually have odors. Otherwise, well. . . .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 02:50 pm
Craven, Roger--

Thanks for the moral support. Unfortunately, the man who does the vacuuming makes the rules--which is as it should be.
0 Replies