A Dog's Intelligence

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 11:03 pm
By Doug Gross
CNN

(CNN) -- Your dog may not actually be smarter than somebody's honor student -- popular bumper stickers aside. But your canine companion might well be smarter than their toddler, according to a growing body of research on how dogs think.

The smartest dog breeds are on par mentally with a 2 1/2-year-old, professor says.

1 of 2 Using adapted tests designed for human children, psychologists have learned that average dogs can count, reason and recognize words and gestures on par with a human 2 -year-old.

"They may not be Einsteins, but are sure closer to humans than we thought," said Stanley Coren, a professor emeritus at the University of British Columbia and leading researcher on dog behavior.

Coren planned to present his research Saturday at the American Psychological Association's annual convention in Toronto, Canada.

He said the average dog can understand about 165 words, including signs, signals and gestures. They can also count to about 5, he said.

"I mean, we're not going to make them an accountant or something," Coren said in an interview with CNN Radio.

The smartest dogs, he calls them the "super breeds," are on par with a 2½-year-old, recognizing up to 250 words.

And, no, not all breeds are created equally.

For his book "The Intelligence of Dogs," Coren asked more than 200 dog-obedience judges to rank 110 breeds based on their intelligence. Border collies, poodles, retrievers, German shepherds and Doberman pinschers were among the dogs at the head of the class.

The intellectual runts of the litter? The borzoi, chow chow, bulldog, basenji and -- finishing dead last -- the Afghan hound.

The dividing line, Coren said, tends to be the age of the breed. More recent breeds, like the collies and retrievers, have been bred for years to do what humans want them to do.

"We've been wiring into dogs the ability to communicate with us," said Coren, author of several books on dogs' thinking, most recently "The Modern Dog." "If you will, we've been manipulating their intelligence."

Meanwhile, breeds like hounds naturally did what humans wanted -- i.e. chase tasty animals -- and didn't need to be fine-tuned, he said.

"They did the work all by themselves," Coren said. "They didn't have to cooperate with the human being, and all the human had to do was get there before the dogs ate it all."

Included in the number of "words" dogs are believed to know are hand gestures, like pointing, and nonverbal sounds, like the whistles used to direct sheep dogs and retrievers.

Fact Box
Psychologist Stanley Coren asked dog-obedience judges to rank 110 dog breeds from most to least intelligent.

Top Five
1. Border collies
2. Poodles
3. German shepherds
4. Golden retrievers
5. Doberman pinchers

Bottom Five
106. Borzoi
107. Chow chow
108. Bulldog
109. Basenji
110. Afghan hound

Source: "The Intelligence of Dogs"
Counting ability is tested in drills such as one in which treats are dropped, one at a time, behind a screen. When the researcher either sneaks away one of the treats or stealthily adds an extra before raising the screen, the dog will wait longer -- appearing to puzzle over the bad math -- before eating the treats.

That's the same way toddlers respond when faced with a similar switch, said Coren.

Aubrey Fine, a psychologist and faculty member at California State Polytechnic University, said research like Coren's could help dog owners better relate to their animals.

"Too often, many people look at dogs as four-legged people," said Fine, who specializes in the use of dogs in treating patients with developmental disorders and other mental-health conditions. "We need to recognize what dogs cue in to. Once you understand better how to interact, it causes a better coexistence with your pet companion."

Coren said the findings on dog intelligence showed they have more sense than some scientists may have thought, but that some in the general public may be surprised for different reasons that span a wide range of thought.

"There are some people who think that dogs are just little human beings running around in fur coats and there are other people who sort of think that they're unfeeling biological mechanisms," he said. "The truth of the matter is really that dogs are neither extreme."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 10,869 • Replies: 42
No top replies

aidan

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 01:18 am
@edgarblythe,
My dog amazes me (she's a golden retreiver/shepherd mix). The other day she was standing on something that I needed to pick up and I said one word- 'move' - and she immediately and smoothly took one step back so I could pick up what she'd been standing on.
It was almost like she was a human and I'd said, 'excuse me.' I didn't even make any sort of motion to clue her in - and I've not done any formal training so that she'd automatically recognize the word, 'move' as a command- this was such a one time situation that I'm not sure I've ever used that word to her before, and that's why after it happened and I realized what she'd obviously understood, I shook my head in amazement.
0 Replies

Always Eleven to him

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 07:23 am
@edgarblythe,
The report confirms what I've been thinking all along. Watch your dogs long enough -- especially if you have more than two or three in your pack -- and you'll notice some amazing behaviors. For example, we have "the twins," litter-mates who look nothing alike. But they move in tandem as if synchronized. And if one is outside, sees something, and noiselessly takes off after it, the one in the house will immediately come out and join the chase. There's definately some sort of communicating going on there -- even if it is only at the toddler level. ;-)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 08:36 am
My dog knows every move I make when I'm home. She can be asleep in the yard and I can be far back in the house, but anything I do that she finds of interest, she's instantly there. Generally, I can quietly tell her what to do and she complies. The exceptions are, when she sees a stranger and gets excited, and when I am going to do something unpleasant to her, such as administer medicine. But even then she is easy to control.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 11:12 am
@edgarblythe,
Dr. Coren's a great guy. I used a lot of his training techniques when I first started working with Bailey.

I've found a number of Dr. Coren's books helpful/interesting when considering what's going on with my dogs.

I'd seen a piece on this newest research on the news recently. Good to know he's still out there working away.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 06:02 pm
My Kelsey understood everything I said and reacted in the appropriate manner to every command. She understood both my verbal commands and hand signals. I was sometimes amazed at how quickly she picked things up.

Got her from the SPCA when she was a befuddled 1½ year old big goofus of a black lab cross. She broke my finger during a training session and I think she did it on purpose. Once she realized that she could not break me, we became fast and loyal friends.

A lot of time and love went into her training and I was repaid many times over for my minor roll. Kelsey was the star right up until she died in April at the age of 13 and she taught me as much as I taught her.

She even bowed and crossed her paws if I told her we were going to pray. Gosh, I miss her.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 06:06 pm
Sally dog understands everything I say or even think, she reads me like a book and then continues doing whatever she wants.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 06:09 pm
@Intrepid,
Alas, my corgi was probably smarter than me.

Nods to intrepid..
ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 06:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, and to Dys. Sally is very clued in, or out, as the case may be.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 07:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
This article has some nasty implications for humans. If some breeds (read races) are mentally superior to others, does that apply to humans? If we have bred dogs to be superior, does that mean that as humans self select mates for intelligence, looks or athletic ability that we are evolving sub races of humans? And did anyone really think dogs weren't as smart as 2 year olds?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 07:14 pm
@engineer,
Humans don't appear as radically different as the breeds of dogs. A black man is not as different from a white man as a mastiff is from a dachshund.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 07:19 pm
@engineer,
I see your point, thinking on it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 07:28 pm
@ossobuco,
While I'm whiling away, thinking, I say I consider different attributes differently than many doing some sort of scoring. There seems to be some kind of math network that some have.. enabling them for math, physics, music, philosophy, and so on, possibly a genetic push, or maybe familial time spent. Or not.

Work up that perfect brain, for the time, and so? Me, I find that all sort of boring, not being smart in that way myself.

Life can be about connection, and dogs just do that.

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 08:28 pm
My neighbor teaches at the same university as Stanley Coren (University of British Columbia) and according to him Stanley Coren is no "leading researcher on dog behavior" in fact he is considered rather a joke amongst the more knowledgeable.
aidan

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 12:41 am
@engineer,
Quote:
And did anyone really think dogs weren't as smart as 2 year olds?

I didn't. Not to boast, but when my son was two years old he could tell me every single person's name in my family (and we have a BIG family- now it's over thirty members including his aunts, uncles and cousins- when he was two there were over twenty people). And if I'd say, 'What's Granpa's name - where was he born, what's his birthday?' he'd say, 'Eggwin (edwin) Laughing (I taped it so he could hear himself later), San Antonio Texas, October 22, and we'd go through the list (to kill time driving to see the family in NJ from Maine). He had a phenomenal memory at two - and still does.

So no - I didn't and actually still wouldn't equate a dog's intelligence with a two year old child's. Their brains are ready and tooled for different tasks.
A two year old's receptive vocabuly will grow by a few THOUSAND words during their third year (between the ages of 2-3) while as stated here, some dogs have a receptive vocabulary of 165 words.

I don't know anything about Coren- but I view a dog's intelligence as more like that of a savant - they've been bred and trained to understand certain things and achieve certain tasks, and those that they can do, they do really well, but there are many things they don't and will never have the potential to learn (unlike a human two year old).
I mean DAMN - just think for a moment of all the things a human two year old has to absorb and learn in that very short space of time.

Quote:
This article has some nasty implications for humans. If some breeds (read races) are mentally superior to others, does that apply to humans? If we have bred dogs to be superior, does that mean that as humans self select mates for intelligence, looks or athletic ability that we are evolving sub races of humans?

Well not to be politically incorrect and I understand your concern, but isn't that what people do anyway?
When I was pregnant, I had to go for genetic counseling because I'd had a brother with learning difficulties and I'd stated that on my form when I went for my initial visit. They asked me if his problem was genetic or congenital and I explained that, no, it was not genetic- he was deprived of oxygen during his birth.
There was an audible sigh of relief in the room and I could have been very sensitive and offended about it - but I think it's practical to know and think about what living hell you may be exposing your potential offspring to.
For instance, if you and your spouse are both Jewish and you know that you're both Tay Sachs carriers (or black and Sickle cell anemia carriers)- would you take a chance and have a child or would you adopt?
I think I'd adopt- in fact I KNOW I would.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 06:03 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

My neighbor teaches at the same university as Stanley Coren (University of British Columbia) and according to him Stanley Coren is no "leading researcher on dog behavior" in fact he is considered rather a joke amongst the more knowledgeable.

Though best known to the public for his series of best-selling books on dogs, Stanley Coren is also well respected scientist and Professor of Psychology at the University of British Columbia.

He did his undergraduate work at the University of Pennsylvania and completed his doctorate Psychology at Stanford. In the scientific area he has has published many research related books, a widely used textbook on sensation and perception, and over 300 research reports in professional journals.

Stanley Coren was born in 1942 in Philiadelphia. He has an undergraduate degree in Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania and his doctorate in Psychology is from Stanford University. After teaching at the Graduate Faculty of the New School for Social Research, in New York City, he moved to the University of British Columbia, which is located in the city of Vancouver in Canada. He is currently a Professor in the Department of Psychology, and is also the Director of the Human Neuropsychology and Perception Laboratory there.

His research has covered many areas of in psychology, including human vision and hearing, neuropsychology, brain, laterality, handedness, birth stress, sleep, behavior genetics and cognitive processing. He is a prolific researcher and has published over 300 items, including research reports in well respected scientific journals including: Science, Nature, The New England Journal of Medicine, American Journal of Public Health, British Journal of Medicine, Psychological Review and others. He has also published 14 books and monographs for professionals and students.

One of these books is the textbook "Sensation and Perception" which is into its fifth edition and has consistently been the most used college text in North American courses on sensory and perceptual processes.

Coren has won a number of awards for his research, and the quality of his contribution to science has been recognized by a number of major scientific organizations, including the American Psychological Association, the American Psychological Society, the Canadian Psychological Association, the American Association of Applied and Preventative Psychology, and others, which have conferred upon him the title of Fellow. In addition his ability to communicate with people has been recognized by his winning of the Robert E. Knox Master Teacher Award and by his service on the American Psychological Association's, Public Information Committee.

Intrepid

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 06:17 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

[A two year old's receptive vocabuly will grow by a few THOUSAND words during their third year (between the ages of 2-3) while as stated here, some dogs have a receptive vocabulary of 165 words.

Information I could find put the number at between 900 and 1000 words at 36 months. A few thousand is a bit of a stretch.

Although, children have different levels of learning. Just as dogs do. Our little guy just turned 3 last month and speaks in full sentences and has a vocabulary that I can only imagine and uses advanced words and sentence structure that he should not, according to everything that I read, be doing yet.

Then again, we never treated him "like a baby" and never used "baby talk" with him. We never used "baby talk" to our dog either. Children and dogs are a product of their environment.
aidan

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 07:28 am
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Information I could find put the number at between 900 and 1000 words at 36 months. A few thousand is a bit of a stretch.

Quote:
24 Months
Can name a number of objects common to his surroundings
Is able to use at least two prepositions, usually chosen from the following: in, on, under
Combines words into a short sentence-largely noun-verb combinations (mean) length of sentences is given as 1.2 words
Approximately 2/3 of what child says should be intelligible
Vocabulary of approximately 150-300 words
Rhythm and fluency often poor
Volume and pitch of voice not yet well-controlled
Can use two pronouns correctly: I, me, you, although me and I are often confused
My and mine are beginning to emerge
Responds to such commands as "show me your eyes (nose, mouth, hair)"

36 Months
Use pronouns I, you, me correctly
Is using some plurals and past tenses
Knows at least three prepositions, usually in, on, under
Knows chief parts of body and should be able to indicate these if not name
Handles three word sentences easily
Has in the neighborhood of 900-1000 words
About 90% of what child says should be intelligible
Verbs begin to predominate
Understands most simple questions dealing with his environment and activities
Relates his experiences so that they can be followed with reason
Able to reason out such questions as "what must you do when you are sleepy, hungry, cool, or thirsty?"
Should be able to give his sex, name, age
Should not be expected to answer all questions even though he understands what is expected

I think we found similar information, but when they say 'has a vocabulary' - I take that to be referring to expressive language - words they actually say. Usually children understand many more words than they say or use, before they actually use or speak the words themselves.

Anyway - I do think most two year olds have the capacity to be much smarter than most dogs.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 08:37 am
@aidan,
Most. But, not all. Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 10:35 am
Hey my new baby is listed as number 15 - I could tell he was smart.
0 Replies