I'm Getting Terminated from the Library: And, Today's Library Events

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 11:23 am
@roger,
Quote:
They (all part timers) have been laid off, anyway.

I just don't get the economic sense of laying off part-timers, I really don't.

So many businesses will only hire part-timers, then work them 35+ hrs per week; the biz doesn't have to pay benefits/health insurance that way. Seems to me practically all grocery stores do this.

And to deny present part-timers the opportunity to job-share F/T positions in the same workplace seems just foolish on their (the county's) part. We've already told them they wouldn't have to pay us health insurance if we job-shared.

When we met with county officials over this, I asked directly why we could not job-share, and was told the county commissioners "were not interested."

Then they foolishly said that full-timers would "give the library patrons continuity." Several of us (Part-timers) actually laughed. Oh right, that's continuity: Just fire us all!
BorisKitten

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 11:30 am
@ossobuco,
I so agree, Osso, that homelessness and public places is a difficult issue. Florida is like CA, a haven for the homeless.

A library security guard would be far too expensive. They can't even afford a single security camera.

Heck, the county these days denies us pricey things like the little clear strips used to cover books' spine labels; we have to use scotch tape instead! It's pathetic, really.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 11:35 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Could you attempt to talk with the community whatsit at the police department, as Bk?

We don't have a community person at this police dept. It's a wonder this tiny town has a police dept. at all, really.

I've heard the police station itself, built in the 1960's, is tiny, dark, and filthy.

The police come to our Christmas party every year, and I've noticed they are virtually all young white males. And this community is almost all black people.

Mr. Officer did say they've now hired one black officer and one female officer in the past couple of months. That's something, I suppose.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 11:36 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Well, damn good luck in finding a part-time job you are happy with!

Laughing
It's difficult finding P/T work even in a Good Economy! NOW, well, Drunk
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 02:50 pm
@BorisKitten,
BorisKitten wrote:

I just don't get the economic sense of laying off part-timers, I really don't.

Neither do I. Zero benefits, low pay, no overtime, and they're often expected to come gratefully running when needed. Well, government economics have always been different from business and personal economics.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 04:15 pm
@BorisKitten,
I reread what I wrote yesterday about reporting, and had a mental shiver at my suggesting library staff report on patrons' conversations. What was I thinking? (hits forehead with her palm)
It was helpful to read Dlowan's comment about mandated reporters.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 08:58 am
@ossobuco,

All is forgiven, Osso.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 09:29 am
@BorisKitten,
Geez, BK. Makes me feel a tad sheepish for not appreciating the normalcy of my own job. Listening...
sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 10:01 am
@ossobuco,
Well dang. Sorry about your job, BK. Big library cuts around here too, staff being laid off... Sad.
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 04:02 pm
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
Geez, BK. Makes me feel a tad sheepish for not appreciating the normalcy of my own job. Listening...

I think the bizarre/unpredictable behavior of our patrons has been part of the attraction of this job, for me. The other part has been that these people really NEED their library.

These folks are living in subsidized housing or very poor areas; they can't afford their own computers. Still, to look for a job, apply for jobs, apply for Unemployment or Food Stamps, they are forced to use computers.

One of the library's programs which I suggested and have run for over 2 yrs is one-on-one Computer Help sessions. Patrons tell me what they want to learn, and I teach it to them.

This has been wonderful for both me and the patrons. Every Thursday my schedule is packed full of people who want to do something specific with computers: They don't want a computer class, they want to know how to apply for Unemployment (or whatever).

If this library were NOT 25 miles away from my house, I'd continue this program as a volunteer.

At any rate, the county where I live is strangely White. I've long wondered whether Someone has been doing Something, for a long time, to keep black/hispanic people away from here. I don't know.

So for me it's been refreshing to work with mostly-black patrons, practically nonexistent in my own neighborhood.

Just last week, a bunch of (black) kids were making a ruckus in the library (nothing unusual). After many "Quiet Down, please" requests from my boss, the kids were still very loud.

A little old black lady came up to me and said, "Lord, them some Bad Ass kids, ain't they?"

God I will miss these patrons, and my co-workers!
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 04:06 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Well dang. Sorry about your job, BK. Big library cuts around here too, staff being laid off... Sad.

And of course, Soz, right now the Economy makes libraries even more essential to our patrons.

Can I say "This is pathetic" again, or have I said that too many times already?

And yes, I read "Library Journal," and have read shocking stories about library lay-offs, shortened hours, even library closings.

At the very same time I see a mass migration (of patrons' computer use) away from MySpace and YouTube towards job-hunting & applications.

Dag Nab It!
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 04:19 pm
At any rate, I did get a call just today from my own county's library system, requesting an interview for a part-time Library Aide position next Monday.

WOO HOO! Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Frankly, with the economy as it is, I never Dreamed I'd find another P/T Library job. That I actually have an interview for one is, frankly, astonishing to me.

And who could be a better candidate for this position than someone who already Has the position in the next county? (Well, somebody else could, no doubt!).

This library, in my own city, is maybe 8 miles from my house. My present job is over 25 miles from my house. It may well pay a bit less per hour, but I can also ask to work more hours, right?

And best of all, I'd be able to help people learn things, and get paid for it! For me, there's practically nothing better (I'm a lifelong reader and patron of public libraries).

I've thought long and hard, and talked about at length, the F/T position cataloging books for the Fire-Me-Please county, next door, and have decided NOT to apply for it. I don't want the job.

I spent 20 years in cubicles. Their office is maybe 30 miles away from my house, so I'd be gone from 7 AM to 6 PM 5 days a week.

And these are the very same people who chose to fire us all (6 P/T Library Assistants). I don't want to work for them.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 04:37 pm
@BorisKitten,
WOO HOO!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 06:30 pm
Excellent..
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 08:54 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I reread what I wrote yesterday about reporting, and had a mental shiver at my suggesting library staff report on patrons' conversations. What was I thinking? (hits forehead with her palm)
It was helpful to read Dlowan's comment about mandated reporters.

Agree with David here: All is forgiven, sweetie.

I HAVE had training about the privacy of patrons, the importance of NOT speaking about patrons' preferences or conversations to Anyone, and the importance of actually having a Court Order signed by a Judge, to reveal what books the patron has checked out.

I was told a request by a Police Officer to view a patron's reading history is NOT sufficient to reveal that history... by the President of the Florida Library Association. Only a judge-signed court-order will suffice, in which case my boss would handle it anyway.

So, better to err, in my opinion, in favor of the patron's privacy, right?

Thus I was very surprised by Mr. Officer's criticism of me. I do NOT call the police when a patron tells me something.

Had this little girl told me this fellow was Raping her, or even touching her, I might have called the police as he insisted I do.

As it was, saying "Bad sex things" to her? No. This girl did not even ask me for help.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:49 pm
Heavy sigh.

I did NOT get the closer library job.

This coming Tuesday will be my very last day at the library, and I don't have another job... yet.

Frankly, I dread joining the Unemployment Rolls, which I'll be doing this coming week. I'd much rather just have a job, thank you.

I'm also really tired, at this point, of filling out applications.

One kid I've watched grow up for the past 2 1/2 yrs came in and hugged me last week. He knows I'm leaving soon.

I taught this kid how to knit and crochet (both of which he LOVES), and have watched him grow from an undersized, speech-impediment-laden outcast to a fit, tall, athletic little guy.

I'll SO miss him, and all the other kids I've watched grow up, and my co-workers... best team ever!
littlek

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 08:47 pm
@BorisKitten,
Sighing with you. We've got a big new library opening up right now in Cambridge MA!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 08:22 am
@BorisKitten,
Commiserate sigh. What about a school library job? You seem to get on well with the kids.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 08:25 am
@BorisKitten,
Another sigh. I hope you find employment soon, bk.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 08:27 am
@BorisKitten,
So sorry to hear this, BK.
What was the selection panel thinking?
Good luck in your job search!

0 Replies