Oz A2Kers: Broadband advice needed rather urgently.

msolga

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 05:50 pm
I've just been informed by my ISP that I have one week left on my account. Surprised

I've been caught on the hop! (Jeez, it's August already!!!)

So I must get moving on the transition to broadband very quickly.

When I ask around, just about everyone recommends the Optus $99 per month option, but I've been if wondering can I do better than that?

Any companies/options that I should ignore, for whatever reasons?

I'd very much appreciate any useful input at this late stage ... but, ya know, please don't get too technical about attractive features of particular options. I probably won't know what you're talking about. Embarrassed What I'm look for is a reliable performance & service .... & good value.

Hoping to hear from you.

Thank you in advance,
Olga

engineer

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 07:04 pm
@msolga,
Is this a phone plan you are talking about? Home broadband should be in the $40-$50 range depending on who offers service in your area.
msolga

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 07:22 pm
@engineer,
Yes, a phone/internet plan, engineer.

I guess, in a conversion from US to Oz dollars, that would be the equivalent to the Optus plan I mentioned above. (I assume you're in the US).

Thanks, engineer.
msolga

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 07:43 pm
Been checking out the pamphlets I have here. A couple of Luddite questions, if I may:

(Without going into too much detail) what's the difference in access b/n 10GB broadband use & 20GB usage?

And the difference (in performance) b/n a "standard modem" & a "home Wi-Fi modem"?

msolga

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 07:51 pm
Back later ..... Gotta go do some shopping now.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 08:43 pm
@msolga,
do you stream video or music?

the difference is kinda like how big a pipe you need to flow your info in.(videos use more)

my service is more equivalent to your lower priced plan, and I get by OK...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 08:48 pm
@msolga,
I don't think currency translations should apply, unless you are importing something. That's just my understanding, and don't have input on the broadband connection. Anyhow, around here, the companies that have held onto longterm contracts for dialup are now defunct.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 09:08 pm
@msolga,
Er...well, I have (ADSL2 (broadband fast enough to stream video and such ) for $39 a month ( I think) from chariot.net.au

I get 2 Gigabytes a month dor that...after that I am on dial-up speed unless I pay more.

Haven't had to do that...and I have downloaded 2 entire TV series (Breaking Bad) ...though they are short seasons.

Chariot's service is rude and off-shore, and I have trouble understanding them sometimes.

I am not sure if this was a special price for existing slower broadband customers? I'd check.

A friend has just switched to Internode and is VERY happy....I am not sure what she is paying.

There was argy-bargy with Telstra re phone access and such, because Telstra are so horrible (I don't get why...I had no issues.)

My personal experience with Optus is that their service is very poor...but that is re mobile phones.

I have heard people praise Virgin.

Edit.

You wanna combine phone...didn't see that.

I don't think chariot and internode do phones, sorry.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 12:34 am
@msolga,
Hi msolga.
I have been with www.iinet.net.au, Australia's 3rd largest provider for 10 years, absolutely recommend them with honours! Go to their site and look at their plans, you have a heap to choose from to suit your circumstances. I pay $39.95 per month and get 5G's peaktime and 5G's off peak, because I have my phone account with them as well. I'm on line a lot and this is ample for me. Good luck.

Would not touch BigPond or Optus with a 40 foot pole, to many hassles, just ask around, many of my friends have complained about them.
dadpad

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 03:09 am
$75/month unlimited downloads (but slowed to dial up speeds after 10 gig). with bigpond. no "bundled with phone" deal

look here for the best info
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

survey http://whirlpool.net.au/survey/2008/
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 04:01 am
I just wantted to thank msolga for making me think about this. I checked the bigpond plans and changed mine to 12 gig per month at 59.95 a saving of $16.00 per month.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 06:12 am
Thanks so much to all of you for your input! I'm grateful.

I've been checking out the sites Dutchy & dadpad suggested & will investigate further tomorrow. I think I'll also ring a couple of providers for a few more details. I'm still uncertain about which plan best suits my usage .... I intend to check out videos & maybe music, too. Thing I don't do all that much of now. I don't know how this will affect usage/cost.

Dadpad, that was a very interesting Oz survey. Thank you!

I think I'll be able to to find a pretty reasonable broadband plus phone deal. A bit worried about possible difficulties with installation, though.

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 06:18 am
@msolga,
I hope it's OK to keep asking questions as I need to. I'm pretty clueless on a number of details.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 06:24 am
@msolga,
Hi msolga. I wouldn't worry about installation etc. I''m sure which ever provider you go with will provide you with the necessary instructions, most likely a DVD and modem. Mine did, and I was on line in a whiffy
msolga

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 06:49 am
@Dutchy,
Dutchy

I've been checking out iinet. Had never heard of them before your recommendation. So I did their survey & this was the recommendation. What do you think? Can you see any problem that I can't? Wink :

Quote:
Package: Bundled Home 1

Super fast broadband with great call rates

$29.95 per month +
Line Rental $29.95 per month

* 2GB peak + 2GB offpeak quota
* ADSL2+ speeds
* Ideal if you use the net for things like banking and sending a few emails.
msolga

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 06:54 am
@msolga,
One thing I noticed in the linked survey that dadpad posted, they seem to have very high customer satisfaction.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 07:02 am
@msolga,
They'll walk you through setting up the modem.

If I can do it, you can!!!!!

I set up my new one all by myself.
msolga

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 07:11 am
@dlowan,
OK, If you say so, Deb. Very Happy

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 07:37 am
@Dutchy,
Quote:
I have been with www.iinet.net.au, Australia's 3rd largest provider for 10 years, absolutely recommend them with honours! Go to their site and look at their plans, you have a heap to choose from to suit your circumstances. I pay $39.95 per month and get 5G's peaktime and 5G's off peak, because I have my phone account with them as well. I'm on line a lot and this is ample for me. Good luck.

That sounds a good deal, Dutchy. Could I ask what extra cost the phone account involves?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 07:51 am
OK, I'm getting rather bleary eyed & must head off to bed. (I seem to have some sort of sleeping sickness, or something, at the moment.) Any feedback on those 2 options I mentioned would be much appreciated if any of you have the time tomorrow. Also, if you know of even better options, I'd appreciate that, too!

Thanks very much, again.

Night night all!
0 Replies