OUR TOWN with Paul Newman

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:50 am
I've never been a Paul Newman fan. That doesn't mean I dislike him, just that I've never been impressed with him. However, he was excellent in the PBS presentation of Our Town this past weekend.

I recommend to those that missed it, when it is repeated (this is PNS after all) that you watch it.

I think Our Town was presented years ago, perhaps on HAllmark Hall of Fame, with the song, "Love and Marriage," sung by Frank Sinatra as the theme.

This new production was wonderful. Well acted by people who could sound New England without making you want to grit your teeth.

Suprising members of the cast were Frank Converse (who I had an enormous crush on years ago) and Jane Curtain.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,233 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 12:39 pm
I agree -- a fine production and Newman turned in an excellent performance which could be an Emmy nomination next year.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 08:31 am
Lightwizard: I think he deserves a best actor for his work in Our Town. I thought the cast was uniformly excellent but Newman was a standout.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 09:22 am
Just looking over his filmography, Newman has turned in some great performances -- "Hud," "The Verdict" and "The Color of Money" being just three of them. I saw the "Our Town" American Playhouse production on hi def TV -- it had extraordinary presence like I was watching it on stage. Newman was perfectly cast.
0 Replies