Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 12:33 pm
Everyone has home gizmos, howabout listing your weirdest uses for them.

I have a battery powered hand vacuum and I run around during moth season and suck them right out of the air...it brings me great and unrepentant joy!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,748 • Replies: 27
No top replies

fresco

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 12:37 pm
@Chumly,
I think you should extend your arsenal !

http://www.gadgetsuk.com/Fly-gun-bug-killer-p-16287.html
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 01:44 pm
@Chumly,
Mr Miyagi catch flies with chopsticks
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 02:01 pm
@Chumly,
Electric toothbrushes do a fine job of cleaning the grout between tiles.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 02:06 pm
Flour, sugar, cocoa mix good for killing cockroaches, knock on wood.
I can't even look at the bug threads on a2k because I loathe cockroaches so much.

1/2 gallon milk bottles good size for hand watering plants.
roger

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 02:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Cinnamon repels ants, too. Doesn't seem to hurt them, they just go away.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 03:10 pm
@roger,
commercial one gallon containers (dressings, etc.) make wonderful storage and gardening jars with a handle .

I fertilize with a dozen of them.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 03:45 pm
I need help!!

How do I get rid of invisible spiders?

I have now had 2 really serious infections from what appear to be spider bites, but have never seen a spider in here (except one huntsman, which I promptly got rid of)

Whatever it is, this riddance mechanism, cannot poison me or the cat!
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 04:41 pm
@dlowan,
how bout DEEP WOODS OFF?
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 04:43 pm
A Massey Ferguson tractor is good for cracking black walnuts
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 04:50 pm
@dlowan,
I will study on the matter.

To chumly's question, I realized I didn't offer a real gizmo solution. I actually don't have many gizmos at hand any more (gave away the skilsaw, etc.). <Looks around room for gizmos>
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 04:56 pm
A small trial size bottle of shampoo holds up the thingy on the toilet to keep the water from running in the upper tank.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 05:27 pm
@dlowan,
we bought these ultrasonic pest repellers and put them in areas where we had a lot of spider egg and cobweb problems, they seem to have solved the problem

http://i.s.shopwiki.com/i/data/__Bell+%26+Howell+Pest+Repellers/0x0/1/595/326/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zaG9waG9tZXRyZW5kcy5jb20vaW1hZ2VzLzIwMC9QODA3MDE3TC5qcGc===.jpg

Bell & Howell Pest Repellers
ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 05:50 pm
Dlowan

On spiders in the home - some links

No idea of efficaciousness - much less toxicity of lemon pledge
from a poster on this link - http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=smorgasboard&thread.id=6402&view=by_date_ascending&page=2
"Spider Repellent
Natural spider repellent can be done two ways of both if you prefer. The first is chestnuts, yes chestnuts spiders hate chestnuts and they won't even come near them. So if you place them around your house cottage or shed they will stay away.
The second way to repel spiders is to use Lemon Pledge. Its not a natural spider repellent but it works. Spiders hate lemons and their taste buds are on the tips of their legs. So by spraying your window and door frames inside and out will keep spiders away."

Seems useful -
http://www.naturemoms.com/blog/2006/05/30/natural-ways-to-get-rid-of-spiders/

A site that has some suggestion for spraying the spiders with natural stuff (scroll down a bit), but that presumes you see them. Oh, damn, I can't find that link again. Well, from memory, it talked about Dr. Brommer's liquid pepperment soap and mixing it with some essential oils such as lavender and diluting. Alas, I've no photo memory. But, as I mentioned, that seemed to be for spraying the spider that you see.

A few sites I looked at mention cleaning right up front (yawn), which I suppose is good; I was more taken by the one above that talked about sealing possible entry cracks (etc.) with a sealant.

Another with more suggestions - http://www.ehow.com/tips_16646.html

So, that was one page of googleing for "how to get rid of spiders in the house the natural way". There another one million and thirty thousand entries I didn't check...

Dj's gadget looks interesting. Those kind of things didn't work for me for mice in northern california - something else did (the Victor electronic mouse trap, which has a housing for peanut butter next to a battery and zapper) - but I can imagine them working for spiders.
djjd62

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 05:57 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Dj's gadget looks interesting. Those kind of things didn't work for me for mice in northern california - something else did (the Victor electronic mouse trap, which has a housing for peanut butter next to a battery and zapper) - but I can imagine them working for spiders.

they're supposed to work for mice, but were i worked we tried some and they didn't seem effective, but as for spiders at home, so far the amount of cobweb is down and i've seen no spider eggs since using them
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 06:11 pm
@djjd62,
When I was researching pet-safe pest repellent I read several studies that concluded that ultrasonic pest repellent devices are effectively scams.

Considering Ultrasonic Pest Control Devices? Save Your Money
http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/ultrasonicdevices.shtml

Quote:
The consensus of researchers who have actually investigated ultrasonic devices is these products do not effectively repel or eliminate pests from homes. In fact, in the 1980's the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) charged several companies with false advertising and required them to make refunds to customers. My guess is it is just a matter of time and the FTC will go after the makers of these other devices also.

Edit: more links below:

http://www.ratbehavior.org/rathearing.htm#UltrasonicPestRepellers

Quote:
Do ultrasonic pest repellers drive away pests?

No. Controlled studies have shown that ultrasonic pest repellers are ineffective at driving away wild rats and other pests. Specifically, ultrasound is no more effective than audible sound (Bomford and O'Brien 1990).

Ultrasonic collars do not drive fleas off of cats and dogs. Ultrasound does not drive away fleas or cause any change in flea activity patterns (Brown and Lewis 1991, Koehler et al. 1989). Ultrasonic cat collars have no effect on flea egg-laying, development of larvae, or flea mortality (Hinkel et al. 1990). Ultrasonic collars made no difference to the number of fleas on cats (Dryden et al. 1989).

Ultrasound does not keep wild animals away from roads. Ultrasonic devices did nothing to alter the behavior of moose (Muzzi and Bisset 1990), mule deer (Romin and Dalton 1992), or kangaroos (Bender 2001).

Ultrasonic devices are ineffective at repelling pests. Ultrasonic pest repellers do not repel cockroaches (Gold et al. 1984, Ballard et al. 1984), mosquitoes (Sylla and Kremsner 2000, Foster and Lutes 1985), white-tailed deer (Belant et al. 1998, Curtis et al. 1997), bats (Hurley and Fenton 1980), cats (Mills et al. 2000), starlings (Bomford 1990), pigeons (Griffiths 1988, Woronecki 1988), and many other bird species (Hamershock 1992).

Ultrasonic pest repellers do little to repel unwanted rodents. Rodents may be driven away for a few minutes or a few days, but they tend to return to their nesting and feeding areas even in the presence of ultrasound (Pierce 1993, Timm 1994). Ultrasound has not been shown to drive rodents out of buildings or to cause above-normal levels of mortality (Timm 1994).

Why don't ultrasonic pest repellers work?

Ultrasonic devices do not work because rodents rapidly become accustomed to repeated sounds (a process called habituation). Mice and rats learn that the ultrasound from the pest repeller isn't dangerous, so they gradually get used to it and return to their nesting and feeding areas.

In addition, ultrasound is quite weak and attenuates very rapidly with distance from the source (Lawrence and Simmons 1982). Half the energy of ultrasound produced by pest repellers is gone at 15 feet, and no energy remains at 30 feet. Ultrasound is therefore very short-range (Askham 1992).

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/403/do-ultrasonic-bug-repellers-work

Quote:
I'm not going to answer your last question, H., because ultrasonic mosquito repellers all have one thing in common: none of them work. At all.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/05/fyi0128.shtm

Quote:
FTC Warns Manufacturers and Retailers of Ultrasonic Pest-control Devices

Staff of the Federal Trade Commission's Division of Enforcement today announced that they have sent warning letters to more than 60 manufacturers and retailers of ultrasonic pest-control devices, stating that efficacy claims about those products must be supported by scientific evidence. FTC staff reviewed print and catalog advertisements and conducted a "surf" of Internet sites marketing such devices. They found that many of the advertisements make explicit claims about the products' ability to eliminate rodents or repel insects. According to staff, these types of claims may not be in compliance with the FTC Act, which prohibits false and deceptive advertising.

djjd62

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 06:18 pm
@Robert Gentel,
if so, please don't tell my spiders
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 06:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think my mice considered them as kitchen decor.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 06:23 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
(the Victor electronic mouse trap, which has a housing for peanut butter next to a battery and zapper)

http://www.videointerchange.com/images/Nipper3.jpg
"His Mouse-ter's Voice"
djjd62

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 06:23 pm
@ossobuco,
i've never known them to work on mice either
0 Replies