I wish I could paint like this

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:35 pm
Hope he didnt peak too early. I love his interpretations of water on roads and roofs and building sides.

0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:20 pm
I'm impressed.

Children don't have a lot of clutter in their brains at that age and can pick up a lot at that age if encouraged.,
farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:08 pm
@Sglass,
his interpretations are really sophisticated. I hope the little kid isnt some savant because theyll treat him like some freak.

I think his work is waaay advanced for a little kid.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:13 pm
@farmerman,
which makes me wonder re different scenarios. Sorry, I'm just cynical.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:21 pm
@farmerman,
I don't know enough about aspergers to guess that. But I'd not like to see this boy exploited.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Among other things, facility is not art. And one can get in the way of the other.
farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:54 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, this is a six year old kid, we should celebrate his skill, and watch his growth.

We are all a little jealous at his facility. However. look at Wyeths earliest works (In Penhams book The Secret Life of Andrew Wyeth) He started merely copying toy figures and scenes from Port Clyde Maine. He developed a thousand percent from age 9 to 13 and he matured quite early in mastering watercolors.

This kid may be another MOzart of the brush. AS far as facility v creativity, We have only to look at his interpretation (side by side) of the photo and his painting. He essentially created that scene and the photo was merely reference.

I remember that little 11 year old girl who painted Picasso style using such a pallette that was so technically advanced. I dont know what happened to her, she should be like 18 or 19 now and maybe graduated from Art Institute of Chicago or some other great art school.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:04 pm
@farmerman,
I'm not jealous, ye gads. Facility doesn't even interest me much. But I do worry about a possibly used kid. Nor, I hate to admit, does Wyeth (and raised in such a family?) interest me much.

I'd look at the facility of the teacher first. I get it the kid picks this stuff up, shhhhhhhsffft. And, as I said, what is hanging around their house and their gallery has been in front of him his whole life from babyhood.

Maybe he'll be swell, and good luck to him. I mostly feel sorry for him.
Sglass

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:04 pm
I went back and had a second look at his work. The style and brush work were consistent. You are aware of his mental editing of the landscape he is working on to present the important elements when you looked at the side by sides.

For some reason I thought about Winslow Homes. A certain serenity.
farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:10 pm
@Sglass,
Yeh, hes that good.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I mostly feel sorry for him
It must be the teacher in me. I always think that a teacher has the reponsibility to have his students outmaster him. (Sound too Shao Lin?)

Im amazed at the kids grasp of stuff that many adults dont even know exists in a work of art. His rain slick roads, the buildings and shadow. The controlled yet fluid paint. DAMN, I think were gonna hear from him in 15 years. Right now hes a freakshow. In 10 years hell be the prodegy, in 15 he will be an importrant emerging artist, betcha a big disha pistachio gellati.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:21 pm
@farmerman,
l hope we do hear from him then. Meantime, I hope he's not clamfloogled with expectations at seven or eight or nine. I take him as highly prompted and a good learner. Of course I could be wrong.

How's that gallery doing now?

Pistacchio, a favorite, we can agree on that.
farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
How's that gallery doing now?
my gallery show and my photo in a show are all over . I have a show next May in NJ. When its final, Im gonna invite the rowdies from A2K.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:56 pm
@farmerman,
Smiles, I meant the kid's parents' gallery - (me, wretchedly cynical woman)

but I am always interested in how you're doing. Cripes, me in New Jersey, especially if Thomas is still there then to guide me -- that sounds good. I'll try. Let us know, there may be a possibility.

I'm still trying to get to AZ to see JLN's work at the university gallery, and visit him and Luchi. Chances on that may improve in cooler weather too.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 12:35 am
@farmerman,
Hey Farmerman - did you ever post the pix from the ones that were chosen... oh... 6-9 months back - you were asking about them being mounted. I can't find the thread right now - did you pop any up on A2K - would love to see them. Very Happy
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 03:16 am
@Izzie,
no,Thomas was going to send me instructions how to post my own photos on A2K. Of course he jet ignored me and I need to find a tutorial how to post digital picture onto the site.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 06:13 am
This boy did get some basic "painting training", though:

Quote:
A visit to Holt gallery and art materials shop Picturecraft with dad Keith - an electrician-turned-fine art dealer - also attracted the interest of father and son owners Michael and Adrian Hill.

They suggested Kieron join them in signing up for a 12-week course of watercolour painting classes with respected Norfolk artist and author Brian Ryder, whose latest art book sold more than 10,000 copies.

Picturecraft also kept Kieron stocked up with free art paper offcuts and end of line equipment.

Kieron has produced pictures of Burnham Overy Staithe, Kelling, Venice, Cley and Morston, as well as working at home from books and art magazines donated by Picturecraft and learn-to-paint videos produced by Mr Ryder.

His latest work includes pet portraits and a series of studies of Holt landmarks including the town's war memorial, Gresham's Pre-prep School, and the Owl Tea Rooms.

Kieron said: "I like painting Morston best because of the boats, and because it's got a little estuary at low tide."

Mr Ryder said: "I've never met anyone of Keiron's age who can do what he's done. I just can't fault him and I think he's got the confidence to take his painting further, but I also think his mum deserves great praise for the huge amount of effort she puts in coming with him to classes and helping him keep his focus."

Picturecraft has offered to sponsor the youngster by framing his work, with Ms Pennington agreeing to put it in the The Last Picture Show window as part of Holt arts festival.

Adrian Hill said: "Kieron is absolutely fearless; he paints like someone who has been painting for years. His colour mixing and his confident brush strokes are enviable, he has a real passion to his work and I think the fact that he is so young is just incredible."

Kieron's first exhibition, which opens at The Last Picture Show in Town tomorrow, will coincide with his seventh birthday on Sunday and he has already received a couple of early gifts - canvases, brushes and the offer of one-to-one tuition from Tony Garner, and the promise of a Christmas show at Picturecraft.
Source

Kieron Williams - art catalogue
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 03:38 am
The Guardian has in today's G2-section another report about this astonishing talented boy:

The boy who paints like an old master

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 03:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Copied from the print edition (The Guardian, G2, 29.12.2009, pages 10-12):

http://i48.tinypic.com/nnkx2v.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/33n91ye.jpg http://i47.tinypic.com/2v92g5x.jpg
farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 04:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Interesting. From his paintings of last year, I see that hes increased the saturation of color. Hes now at a point where many srt students in college are at when they leave.
I next want to see his work on the figure. Id just love to have a camera on this kid as he advances, hes mahvelous
0 Replies