Kill Bill

billy falcon

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:36 am
You guys and gals are really jerking my chain. I watched "Kill Bill" on on a DVD. Perhaps, had the movie been titled "Kill Jack", I would have been more receptive.

Confession time.

I've said it many times before. We like, dislike and are quick to judge what we see and to voice our opinions about art (movies). But all the art we like and dislike also reveals, in part, who and what we are. We are defiined, in part, by our likes and dislikes. The nearly unanimous praise and critical acclaim attending "Kill Bill" I & II, leaves me no out.

TAKING MY OWN ADVICE, I hereby accept the apparent fact that I lack the necesary skills to enjoy and appreciate "Kill Bill". I will read dozens of Tarantinian accolades in the hope that when I see it a second time, I will be better equipped to enjoy and appreciate it.

"The fault, Dear Brutus, lies in ourselves."
"Physician, go heal thyself."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:50 am
Actually, I can see why the comic book style can immediately take over and drive one to believe this or any Tarentino film has no real emotional or intellectual depth. He does play tricks on the intellect and his use of violence so often comes off as borderline slapstick. It's always difficult to push out the envelope without the splitting the seams but I think Tarentino does it. I always observe that he is having a great time playing with our eyes and mind, jostling our emotions around with humor but also with serious concepts. I love your quote that the fault lies not in the stars but in ourselves.

Someone once quipped when getting the salt from the cabinet that had tipped over:

The salt lies not in the jars but on our shelves.
0 Replies

axi

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 11:03 am
I saw kill bill 2 yesterday and found it really amusing. I especially liked this chinese monk flinging his beard with a swoooosh.

on the other hand I didn't like the end, it's pure kitsch
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 04:31 pm
I was disappointed that Uma didn't get to kill ALL the deadly viper assassination squad. It kinda thwarts her revenge, doesn't it?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 04:55 pm
That's a good guestion. I can't answer it for myself until I see both films and probably in a continuous viewing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 05:49 pm
I saw KB1 yesterday! I am soglad I saw it. Can't wait to see part 2.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:54 pm
Lightwizard, some of the scenes were so outrageous I almost wet my pants. One of the funniest scenes in the movie is when Uma exits the cemetery and crosses the road to the diner.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 08:29 am
I love that scene but it's only one of many. It's a film one could pick out scenes on the DVD and enjoy Tarentino's wonderful comedic staging. This is a black comedy/love story/action flick. Although the characters are fantastical they end up doing the same, sometimes stupid things we all do in situations perhaps not so surreal but nevertheless motivated by those reptilian instincts that are a part of our character.
0 Replies