SILICONE/PLASTIC

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:53 pm
HOW CAN I SEPERATE SMALL PEACES OF PLASTIC FROM SMALL PEASES OF SILICONE?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,636 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Francis

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 03:00 pm
Ok, you put the peaces on one side and the peases on the other side.

But if you cannot separate them that way, you may try another method:

Put all the pieces in a large tupperware. With a slight inclination, shake the container side to side. The silicon pieces should go to the upper part of the tupperware.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 03:04 pm
@derick1985,
Are they different enough in diameter that you could sort them with a filter of some sort (link a pasta strainer)? Does one sink in water and the other float? If they both float, how about alcohol? If it is a small enough sample, can you just hand sort them?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 05:59 pm
@derick1985,
I only know of one way , wed often separate siloxane or silane (silicones) by using a fluid with the approx separation density point of .9 (siloxane or silicones) from plastics. A good fluid would be pine oil . Just float the stuff in pine oil, the silicones should sink and the peases of plastic should float.

If its a lab experiment, I think you should take some out and do a specific gravity of your silicones (silicones have a variable sp gravity).

Pin oil is the universal separatory liquid in mining engineering.

The dielectric of the two substances might vary enough so that they could be separated by a current field.
Do you know that silicones have specific gravities different from most plastics>
jespah

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 03:40 am
@farmerman,
derick - read this topic - making new, identical topics is not getting you your answer
0 Replies