Airline rules, carry on limitations and other issues of too much security.

TTH

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 10:39 am
@Linkat,
There has been talk of that on a smaller airline. I heard it on the news. Pay to go to the bathroom? I wonder what they are going to do if someone doesn't have the money.
Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 10:42 am
@TTH,
Well if they were to charge - I suggest we all just pee where we are ( we could put on some old clothes we don't like or bathing suits or something) or worse and leave it to the airlines to clean up.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 10:57 am
@caribou,
Good shopping results from the confiscations

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/03/earlyshow/main3228945.shtml

http://www.usatoday.com/money/biztravel/2006-02-06-confiscate-usat_x.htm

(free republic reports bibles being confiscated Shocked )
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 09:04 pm
I think the restriction on nail clippers with tiny files has been lifted. I've brought mine in my purse on several flights in the last couple of years.

I've never had a problem bringing food in my carry-on or purse. Sunday I had an apple, some grapes, and a small ziploc bag with dry cereal in my purse going thru security. No problems.
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 06:10 am
well

in case anyone else is reading this. Going through security was actually very very very easy.
You keep your liquids in a separate baggie, put it on top of your clothing so that all you have to do is open your bag and take it out.

You place it flat in the basket right along with your luggage and purse/carry on etc.
Take off your shoes.. walk through the metal detector.. and voila.
Done.

I did not separate lipstick, deodorant or anything else. Just my liquids. shampoo/conditioner/lotion and toothpaste. Nothing more. I did not hold up any lines for that either.

much easier then I thought it was going to be.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 08:05 am
@mac11,
A few weeks ago, the airline confiscated my tiny, half full package of peanuts. Mad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 08:28 am
@shewolfnm,
I was actually surprised at how lax they were.

Happy but surprised.

I went to Minneapolis on a non-stop flight and checked my bag. My liquids, small scissors, etc. went in the checked bag. On the way home, I went to the check-in counter, hoisted up the bag etc., and the person said "um, no checked bags on this flight." Eh?

So I had liquids stuffed in there various places (deodorant DOES count as a liquid, depending somewhat on what kind it is I guess), and lines were insane (I infinitely prefer the Columbus airport to the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport), and I was trying to figure out wtf to do with all the verboten stuff in the (very full, very carefully packed) bag that I planned to check but which I was dragging along behind me as I waited in the endless security line. I kinda fatalistically plopped the whole thing on the conveyor belt, expecting questions and delays, but it sailed through. Cool. Made me a bit worried that "harried mom" is a good persona for bad guys to adopt, but oh well.

Re: food, I had a small container of apple sauce for sozlet confiscated a couple of years ago. I hadn't thought of it as liquid but of course it was. I make sure to take more-solid food now, no other problems.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 08:35 am
@shewolfnm,
you're getting into this travel stuff, huh?
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 10:07 am
@JPB,
oh yeah. More then I can explain.

Budapest anyone? Smile
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 12:55 pm
Oooh, Budapest sounds lovely.

I'm glad you had no hassles going thru security, shewolfie. But don't be surprised if things haven't changed up the next time or at different airports. Sometimes shoes can't go in a bucket. Sometimes liquids must be in their own bucket. Etc etc.
TTH

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 12:08 am
@mac11,
You never know what to expect. I have been told to take my jacket off and then I have to inform them that I can't because I am wearing it as a shirt.
0 Replies