Airline rules, carry on limitations and other issues of too much security.

maporsche

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:12 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Some airlines can be a bit stinky poopy about re-packaged lotions etc - they want things to be in their original tiny packaging. Others are more relaxed about it.

Security has nothing to do with what airline you're flying. If you notice, everyone walks through the same gates and the same TSA agents man the security gates at every airport. The security agents are not employed by any specific airline.

Repackaged lotions/etc are fine. I've flown on over 120 flights since 9/11 when these laws were implemented and on every single flight I've had repackaged shampoo and hair gel and I've never had a problem.

And do everyone a favor...put everything (jewelry, wallet, sunglasses, cell phone, keys, change, belt, etc) in a bag while you're in line, do not wait until you get to the x-ray machine to do this. It makes everyone's life easier, including your own (you don't have to quickly rush to put everything in its place and risk losing anything).

Keep your ID and your boarding pass out, and that's it. Everything else in a bag.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:16 pm
@maporsche,
I've seen them pull repackaged products in Toronto, Buffalo, Boston and two New York airports in the years since 9-11.

Depending on the airport - there are dedicated terminals for specific airlines - so maybe it's those dedicated TSA people who are stinky poopy. I think of them as connected to the specific airlines as they've been dedicated terminals for the most part.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:19 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Some airlines can be a bit stinky poopy about re-packaged lotions etc - they want things to be in their original tiny packaging. Others are more relaxed about it.

Repackaged lotions/etc are fine. I've flown on over 120 flights since 9/11 when these laws were implemented and on every single flight I've had repackaged shampoo and hair gel and I've never had a problem.

You've been lucky. They made me throw away repackaged sunscreen, aloe vera gel, and biofreeze lotion just last year. It happens.
maporsche

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:28 pm
@Eva,
I would have fought it. It seems much too excessive.

Really though, easily more than 120 flights (most for work), in probably 30 different cities and never have I even seen this happen.

I just asked my SO (who flies about twice as much as I do) and she said she's never seen it either.

I guess it happens....but it must not happen that often.
Eva

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:28 pm
Shewolf...here's what will happen.

You'll get in line to clear security at the airport. When you get close to the checkpoint, take off your shoes, metal jewelry and/or belt, and pull the ziplock baggie out of your purse/bag. There will be deep plastic bins right in front of the x-ray machines. Place your shoes, jewelry and the baggie in one bin and your purse in another. Run the bins through the x-ray machine followed by your carry-on luggage. Then walk through the x-ray arch when they tell you, collect all your stuff, put your shoes back on, and head for your gate.

Or just follow what the person in front of you does. Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:29 pm
@Thomas,
Replacement metal joint will also set off alamrs. If it's in your shoulder, that means "Take off your shoes".
Eva

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:32 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I would have fought it. It seems much too excessive...

I make it a habit never to fight with people who carry guns. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Eva

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:36 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Replacement metal joint will also set off alamrs. If it's in your shoulder, that means "Take off your shoes".

Yes, I occasionally travel with a friend who has had knee replacements. She tells them so when she approaches the x-ray arch. They use the hand scanner on her instead. This is pretty common.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:54 pm
@Eva,
Yeh, on that... this week, anyway.

So, what I meant about holding other people up, is that if you and all your pals are checking luggage, no big deal. But if you are the only one, you start off as a pain in the ass, while they want to run for the airport bus, train, and so forth.

I mostly fly alone, so I mostly check my luggage. Less of all this mishugas (ck'ing roberta for spelling). And usually no luggage problem. (Do try to avoid Denver, though they may have fixed that by now.)

I did have a clamfloogle on one of my arrivals in Albuquerque. No luggage, held up at Phoenix. I blamed it on my electric eraser, which must have been a real stumper for the security folks. Anyway, the airline delivered the luggage the next a.m.

(That was a trouble trip, with the watch and the luggage, but I did get to meet JLNobody for coffee, which made it worth it.)

What am I saying.. shewolf, your trip won't roll out perfectly. It's all a part of it. I reserve exceptions for people pulled aside for profiling routinely.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:59 pm
there is no sense of humor (or humour) in the TSA line.
roger

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:50 pm
@Rockhead,
Oh, I don't know. They discovered a spare car key in my billfold, and I said something about being glad I hadn't worn the shorts with metal snaps. It was worth a brief smile.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 06:03 am
@Thomas,
Before everyone complains, read today's headlines about our OWN cicitzens who plotted jihad against their own country. (North Carolina's finest)

I no longer have any complaints about security measures. Inconvenience, yes. Necessary, yes.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:12 am
baggies.
Now i have to buy baggies.
Any ole ziplock bag will do yes?

I have no labeled miniature anything. Not toothpaste, not lotion nothing.
What if the miniature is not clear.
Gads. I dont want to have to buy everything twice.

Ugh'
pain in the ASS i tell you.
ASSS!!!
DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:16 am
I don't worry about toiletries; I just use what the hotel provides. You can even get razors, teethbreesh, etc. from the front desk.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:19 am
Yeah. I am not taking that stuff.

I have a toothpaste that I have to use. No getting around that.
And my conditioner.
Honestly, those are the only two things I need.
Its only 4 days Smile

it is just a pain in the rear because I bought empty bottles just for this, and now I think I should just hunt miniatures for what i want to take .
DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:22 am
@shewolfnm,
The teethbreesh usually suck eggs. The bristles fall out while you're brushing. But it's easier than having to pack a wet toothbrush that gets all musty in the bag.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:26 am
I hate the taking off your shoes part, especially in the winter when you're wearing boots. That only happens in Canada if you're wearing the kind of heels you can store something in - like if you wear runners, flip-flops, or crocs, no problem, but heels with metal in them or big clunky heels, they're off.

In Canada they give you bags at the airport and come down the lineup telling you to put your liquids in there and giving you other instructions. I find the it all depends on the staff - some are sticklers (only ONE lighter per customer, ma'am) and some are not so much, but always prepare for the sticklers.

And the advice I think it was Roger gave is excellent - have everything prepared - it's so annoying when people are told in the lineup to do such and such and they wait till they get to the conveyor belt to do it. Really increases the waiting time. Not an issue of you're going somewhere once a year, but if you're flying regularly, it's a PITA.

I've never had anyone reject my reusable shampoo, etc containers but we're not as paranoid as the States, especially in the smaller airports. It's usually quite lax in those, from my experience. For example, some airport security staff will make you open your laptop and they'll swab it, others just nod at you to carry on.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:30 am
Mame wrote:
It's usually quite lax in those, from my experience.

From my experience, they are not lax in LAX..
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:58 am
Nail clippers with the little metal file.
Security actually stood there and bent the file back and forth until it broke off, before they would let me have it back.

Tiny nail scissors.
Wouldn't let me through with them. I like them alot, had to go track down an envelope, and then find someone who was willing to mail them for me (back to my home), because there was was no stinking mailbox at the airport.

Water bottle. Just forget it. Maybe like Mac said they will let you through with an empty one. Not full though.

If you are checking luggage, put everything sharp and liquid in there. If not, then pay attention to the 3 oz thing cause it sucks to watch them throw it away. Don't bring anything sharp!!!!

Have fun!
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:06 am
I am using San Antonio airport..

what ever it is called.
0 Replies