Airline rules, carry on limitations and other issues of too much security.

TTH

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:09 am
@shewolfnm,
I take my toothpaste and conditioner in my checked luggage. If you do this, I would suggest you put them in a large ziploc bag or in those plastic bags you get from the grocery stores. That way if they leak, it won't get all over your clothes. The seals of my lotions have busted and leaked.

All airports I have been through have required all passengers take off their shoes.

I have brought multiple lighters in my purse and the staff were aware of them and have not confiscated them.

I have never taken my jewelry off or my watch and so far have had no problems.

Oh, and I had a 4 ounce 1/2 empty lotion that I forgot to put in my checked bag. TSA took it and I said it is only 2 ounces since it is 1/2 empty. They said No and then proceeded to make an example out of me by yelling at hundreds of passengers behind me that you could not do that. That happened at LAX.
maporsche

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:10 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

it is just a pain in the rear because I bought empty bottles just for this, and now I think I should just hunt miniatures for what i want to take .

Empty bottles are fine probably 99.9999% of the time (again, between my SO and myself, over 300 flights over the last 8 years, and we've never even seen someone get their repackaged items taken away, much less had it happen to ourselves).

If someone says something to you about them, complain and ask to speak to their supervisor.
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:11 am
Gotcha.
will do.

that removes a shopping trip today thank goodness ..
TTH

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:15 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:
baggies.
Now i have to buy baggies.
Any ole ziplock bag will do yes?

No, it can only be 1 bag, 1 quart in size, and have a zip top.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:18 am
@maporsche,
I'd then look back in the line, and ask people to raise their hands if they are using un-labeled plastic bottles that you can buy at every single Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc specifically for airline use.

After seeing hundreds of raised hands, then look back at the screener and make sure they make all of them throw theirs away as well.
TTH

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:21 am
@maporsche,
I have never had a problem with an unlabeled plastic bottle. It was the fact that the container I had said 4 ounces and it was 1/2 empty. My reasoning that it makes it 2 ounces didn't work.
maporsche

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:24 am
@TTH,
Yes, that is a problem.

But sometimes they'll still let you through, I just wouldn't bank on it. But the unlabled, repackaged, bottle thing (some people are saying that security will sometimes make you throw those away) is something I'd complain about.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:36 am
shewolfnm I apoligize for going off topic but I was wondering what happened to the rule that checked luggage had to be on the same aircraft as the passenger? I have been on a couple flights were my luggage was on an aircraft leaving 1/2 hour or so behind the aircraft I was on.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 09:00 am
@shewolfnm,
You can bring it - just not in your carry on.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 09:02 am
@ossobuco,
You can bring any food or liquid onto the plane, but not through security. In other words, once you pass security, you can buy the food/drink in the terminal and bring whatever onto the plane. As far as changing planes - this isn't an issue as typically you do not leave the secured area so no additional checks through security are needed.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 09:04 am
@ehBeth,
One other thing to note - many airlines are charging now for checked luggage so check your airline on that.
Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 09:06 am
@shewolfnm,
Try flying with these restrictions, undressing, etc with two young children. I survived with them - you will survive too.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 09:11 am
@TTH,
Sometimes security does miss things. My husband mistakeningly forgot to put his lotion in the checked bag (it was a small bottle) and they took it. But in my kid's carryon (without us knowing it) she put a much larger bottle water in her back pack. After getting through security I noticed it.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 09:13 am
@shewolfnm,
Another thing is some airlines are now cashless. If you want to purchase a meal or drink (alcoholic) you have to have a credit or debit card.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 09:41 am
@TTH,
TTH wrote:

All airports I have been through have required all passengers take off their shoes.

You obviously haven't been to Canada or you're wearing the wrong type of shoe.
TTH wrote:

I have brought multiple lighters in my purse and the staff were aware of them and have not confiscated them.

As I said, it depends on the staff and where you are.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 09:48 am
Save yourself the trouble and pack all of your toiletries in your check in luggage. It's not like you're going to be shampooing your hair on the plane.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 09:48 am
@Linkat,
Mame you are correct in your post. Linkat the fees for checked baggage on some airlines have increased in the past few days.
Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 10:35 am
@TTH,
Yes - I read this as well. I think you need to be aware and figure in the price of the bag(s) with your ticket price.
Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 10:36 am
@Linkat,
Oh and some are installing coin toliets so bring lots of change.
Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 10:38 am
@Linkat,
Just kidding - but I did hear some talk of this