Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 11:33 pm
I am renting a house with a well, and the water has sulfur in it (rotten egg smell and taste). I called the local water treatment company, and they said they would come test it for free, and a system would cost about $50/mo to rent or about $1-2,000, depending on the results of the water test. After 3 days of saying they would come out and not showing, I have decided to go elsewhere, but since they're the only local company I could find, that means buying something online. In my research, I've also noticed sulfur filter systems are typically much less than the local shop, and one online store makes a very wise recommendation to not have the water tested by a company that sells the equipment.

I am new to all of this and am totally baffled by the wide variations in price and by all the terms and specifications. I'm hoping to get help in figuring out exactly what I need, and don't need, to remove the sulfur from the water, which as far I as I know is otherwise fine. Any advise on brands and online stores that are good or should be avoided would be great, as well as maybe some examples of what I should be looking for (I realize things like the well pump's flow rate and possibly other factors will result in what I need being specific and likely not exactly matching any examples provided). Also, I read on one site the sulfur in the water is highly corrosive, and since ideally I'd like to sell the idea to the landlord to have them cover the system or at least part of it, things like this which would give them good reason to want to have one installed would also be extremely helpful. Furthermore, since there is a decent chance I will be paying most or all of the price myself, and will only be here a couple years, I have absolutely nothing against a lower quality system that will only last 2-3 years if it's fairly significantly cheaper (e.g. $500 for a system that would do the same job as a $1,000 system, but only last 1/4 as long).

For a little background on my water situation, as I said, it's well water, which in this area tends to be a bit hard, but otherwise great water. It's running through a softener, and the smell persists regardless of whether I have hot or cold water running or how long I have it running, so it doesn't appear to be anything in the water heater or the pipes, but rather the softener or the well itself.

Here are some filters I've come across so far in my research, but I know nothing about the stores, brands, specifications, or even if they're along the lines of what I should be looking for. Also, they do more than just remove sulfur, which is all I care about, so I'm wondering if that's just a byproduct of how these types of filters work and will always be the case, or if I can get one just for sulfur for less money.

http://budgetwater.com/iron_filters.htm
http://www.puritec.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=262&CFID=1002752&CFTOKEN=89767788
http://www.nontoxic.com/puritec/wholehouse.html (MC Series)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,718 • Replies: 3
No top replies

vertigo220

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 11:44 pm
@vertigo220,
Another thing I forgot to mention is maybe shock chlorinating the well or somebody on another forum suggested an "inline erosion pellet chlorinator followed by a special mixing/retention tank and then a special type carbon to clarify the water and remove the chlorine" to somebody else. An Iron Curtain aerator was also suggested.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 12:50 pm

Check on the availability and price of a 10x44 or 10x54 back washing filter with FILOX in it.
I use these and have great success with HS2 and Iron reduction.
0 Replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:32 pm
@vertigo220,
there are a bunch of different things that can create a "sulfer" smell. Do a potability test first. That will give you a starting point. There's iron bacteria,coliform, ecoli, the list goes on, they all have the sulfur smell. Or it could be sulfer,who knows until you have the water tested.
0 Replies