what to do

whatodo

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 03:36 pm
I believe I know the right choice but because of the economy it's bothering me to be unemployed. I took a job out of state for good pay with the government. I am a single parent father with a son with extream special needs. I placed him in a group home so that he could get the right meds and stable so that he could come back home. He is 15. the group home has treated him ok with food..but hygine and doing things with him they don't do. He would be dirty, and stay in his room. It is a money thing. This was supposed to be temporary anyway. I have worked at this new job for 5 months and it's summer vacation now. In that small town there are little to no services for a child like my son. I wasn't pleased with what I saw. My son goes to Children's Hospital in Colorado which is one of the best. He attends an alright school for children like him. If I were to leave and go back to my job I could end up loosing custody, or having the state file a dependancy and neglect against me. Bottom line is my son loves me and I love him very much; and it angered me to see the group home neglect him while in their care. when I complained I was threatend by social services. It's an unusual case because they know I'm not an unfit parent, just not rich enough to hire a nanny to watch over my son when I'm at work and he's on his school break, or to feed him and pick him up from school while I'm at work. I haven't told my boss that I'm not returning this August. While there I wasn't treated to good and sometimes if you don't click with your boss life can be hell no matter how good of a worker you are. I don't want to be unemployed, and the money was good...but the area isn't some place I would raise my son...deep south with nothing to do if you know what I mean. I also can't just pop in and out of his life. He just had surgery last two weeks ago on his hip to help him walk better. I was there and stayed each night at the hospital. Maybe I'm just scared of not working. Am I wrong for that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 581 • Replies: 1
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 05:53 am
Wow, this is a heartbreaker.

If your son is qualified to be in a group home then he needs that kind of supervision. 24/7. Sounds like he has both physical and mental issues.
You can't duplicate this at home unless you provide him with 24/7 care. Are you eligble for that thru Social Security disability benefits? Could you two survivie on that? Could you do that?

What I am getting at is maybe he is in the right place - group home setting - with frequent visits from you. The big task is to find a group home that you like and feel is the best place for your son and you. Social Services should be able to help you. Let them know of your concerns.

In the meantime, take care of yourself. Find a job where you are comfortable and then find a group home you like.

Get some help on this. This is a daunting task. Pull in all agencies to help you out.
0 Replies